Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Post Reply
Silden
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by Silden » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:32 pm

Accuulators, how will the "zapping" work when you have two next to each other? Each with their own zap (so two almost on top of each other on the left and right side of the accumulator, and a bit more space on the top and bottom), or will they both share the same zap effect? If the latter, have you considered putting the poles "on top" of each other, so that, when joined together, they seamlessly blend into each other?

King Karlos
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by King Karlos » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:34 pm

Hey Dev's,

Would it be possible to also add a check box for "normal ore patches" and the "circular ore patches" ?
In a earlyer FFF you mentiont that they spawn in circles and then you add a noise filter over it or something.

That would be awesome ;)

natemiddleman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:43 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by natemiddleman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:35 pm

Does this mean you can change landfill to no longer only give grass? I hate having wierd random patches of green in the dessert which is why I have stuck to water in starting area only.

OutOfNicks
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by OutOfNicks » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:43 pm

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:12 pm
a button/slider that makes all settings per resource the same (if you still want to change, you can do it from there) would be awesome
Im playing around with settings, with Angels + Madclowns ores.
Thats 20 dropdowns x 3 colums to change (will be better with sliders instead of dropdown menues, but still)
And chainging every single one is abit tedious.
^this please

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:21 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by dee- » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:00 pm

Are blueprints and blueprint books automatically synced as individual files/directories from and to the disk?
Then I could init a Git repository there and version control all my blueprints...
:geek:

User avatar
BlueTemplar
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 987
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by BlueTemplar » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:08 pm

Merssedes wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:05 pm
Native seablock-type maps? ^_^
It's not Sea Block if you start on more than one tile and you're forced to extract resources from the seawater ! :P

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 7287
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by kovarex » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:21 pm

dee- wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:00 pm
Are blueprints and blueprint books automatically synced as individual files/directories from and to the disk?
Then I could init a Git repository there and version control all my blueprints...
:geek:
They are not (just blueprint.dat). What you say makes sense, but I'm not sure what to do with that :) A super-user option to keep blueprints in directory structure instead of a file? Well, i believe, that just making backups of the file is enough for the typical geek.

TigBits
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:36 am

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by TigBits » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:23 pm

Terrain generation updates
Will we still be able to do these things?

1. Create a map without trees
2. Create a map without cliffs
3. Restrict water to the starting area

WarpZone
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by WarpZone » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:32 pm

Seems like your kovarex process is the bottleneck. :P

WarpZone
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by WarpZone » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:33 pm

TigBits wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:23 pm
Terrain generation updates
Will we still be able to do these things?

1. Create a map without trees
2. Create a map without cliffs
3. Restrict water to the starting area
This.

Add all the fancy features you want. Just don't take away our ability to take them away.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:23 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by factoriouzr » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:45 pm

This is all looking great.

Can you please release it by next Friday so we can play it over the weekend?

Just want to mention that 0.16 came out 1 year and 2 months ago "viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54538" "Version 0.16.0 Unread post by FactorioBot » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:38 am " and it was mentioned over a year ago that factorio would have a much faster update cycle. Unfortunately this is not the case as it took over 1 year and 2 month for the next majour version to come out (assuming no more delays).

I appreciate all the updates and love the changes, but it's completely arbitrary how you divide up each release and a year is way too long between majour releases. As I, and others have mentioned, we would like more frequent releases.

Please release by Friday the 22nd so we can finally enjoy 14 months worth of updates on the weekend of the 23rd. You can close the bug forums if you need to until you feel you have internally tested enough.

Thanks :)

User avatar
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 3619
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by Klonan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:46 pm

factoriouzr wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:45 pm
This is all looking great.

Can you please release it by next Friday so we can play it over the weekend?

Just want to mention that 0.16 came out 1 year and 2 months ago "viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54538" "Version 0.16.0 Unread post by FactorioBot » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:38 am " and it was mentioned over a year ago that factorio would have a much faster update cycle. Unfortunately this is not the case as it took over 1 year and 2 month for the next majour version to come out (assuming no more delays).

I appreciate all the updates and love the changes, but it's completely arbitrary how you divide up each release and a year is way too long between majour releases. As I, and others have mentioned, we would like more frequent releases.

Please release by Friday the 22nd so we can finally enjoy 14 months worth of updates on the weekend of the 23rd. You can close the bug forums if you need to until you feel you have internally tested enough.

Thanks :)
Friday release is a bit of a bad idea

User avatar
5thHorseman
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by 5thHorseman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:01 pm

Instead of "Infinite water" could we have 4 options:
  • Infinite Water to the North
  • Infinite Water to the South
  • Infinite Water to the East
  • Infinite Water to the West
Then you could truly be on a shoreline to start, and not just find a seed that looks like it, but really it's just a HUUUUUUGE lake.
"So you completed the game with a spaghetti factory? Well I hand crafted a rocket and threw it into space with my bare hands!"

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:23 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by factoriouzr » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:04 pm

Klonan wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:46 pm
factoriouzr wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:45 pm
This is all looking great.

Can you please release it by next Friday so we can play it over the weekend?

Just want to mention that 0.16 came out 1 year and 2 months ago "viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54538" "Version 0.16.0 Unread post by FactorioBot » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:38 am " and it was mentioned over a year ago that factorio would have a much faster update cycle. Unfortunately this is not the case as it took over 1 year and 2 month for the next majour version to come out (assuming no more delays).

I appreciate all the updates and love the changes, but it's completely arbitrary how you divide up each release and a year is way too long between majour releases. As I, and others have mentioned, we would like more frequent releases.

Please release by Friday the 22nd so we can finally enjoy 14 months worth of updates on the weekend of the 23rd. You can close the bug forums if you need to until you feel you have internally tested enough.

Thanks :)
Friday release is a bit of a bad idea
Having to wait 1 year and over 2 months for a release is a bad idea ;)

Again, I get it from the dev side, but put it up as a beta and say you don't accept bug reports for the weekend and no fixes will happen till Monday.

Also you can release on Wed the 20th of February 2019 with the same restrictions (mid week). I'm not kidding about this, just release the thing and say you don't accept bug reports till you do your internal testing, I'm good with that just give us the game already :)

User avatar
5thHorseman
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by 5thHorseman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:14 pm

ChildishGiant wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:25 pm
I completely agree with this. Also with the island I fear that I'd run out of materials before finishing and have no way out except giving up on that save.
I believe that's exactly the point of the challenge. I too don't see the draw for it personally but if others like it so be it.
"So you completed the game with a spaghetti factory? Well I hand crafted a rocket and threw it into space with my bare hands!"

User avatar
5thHorseman
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by 5thHorseman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:19 pm

factoriouzr wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:04 pm
Klonan wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:46 pm
Friday release is a bit of a bad idea
Having to wait 1 year and over 2 months for a release is a bad idea ;)
Having to wait 1 year, 2 months, and 1 week is not that bad of an idea, compared to waiting 1 year 2 months and 0 weeks.

No matter what they say, a bug found on Friday evening will EXPLODE ALL OVER THE INTERNET ABOUT HOW FACTORIO SUCKS AND IS TERRIBLE AND THEY HATE US AND NEVER DO ANYTHING RIGHT and nobody needs that kind of press.

Monday or Tuesday is fine.
"So you completed the game with a spaghetti factory? Well I hand crafted a rocket and threw it into space with my bare hands!"

0xE1
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by 0xE1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:28 pm

Accumulators in both old and new look have horizontal gap between them, while there's none vertically, and they themselves are perceived as square, makes it look a bit odd when looking at their poles

naed
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by naed » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:29 pm

factoriouzr wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:45 pm
This is all looking great.

Can you please release it by next Friday so we can play it over the weekend?

Just want to mention that 0.16 came out 1 year and 2 months ago "viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54538" "Version 0.16.0 Unread post by FactorioBot » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:38 am " and it was mentioned over a year ago that factorio would have a much faster update cycle. Unfortunately this is not the case as it took over 1 year and 2 month for the next majour version to come out (assuming no more delays).

I appreciate all the updates and love the changes, but it's completely arbitrary how you divide up each release and a year is way too long between majour releases. As I, and others have mentioned, we would like more frequent releases.

Please release by Friday the 22nd so we can finally enjoy 14 months worth of updates on the weekend of the 23rd. You can close the bug forums if you need to until you feel you have internally tested enough.

Thanks :)
Have some faith that the devs know what is best. And waiting one or 10 more weeks is not going to hurt any of us :)

incoming semi-rant on the topic (not aimed at you): The gaming community in general has this idea that "i must have content RIGHT now!!". Personally i find that the cases where the devs do give-in to that "demand", they are setting themselves up for a massive headache further down the line. Because the community (in general) does not understand how long something can take to implement. It might look "simple" on the surface. That does not mean it is simple. And this is without going into the difference in expectations between a dev implementation and a mod implementation.

And people on the internet have such a "hunger" for drama, that a dev going out and saying: we dont accept bug reports, is (potentially/most likely) going to be a PR nightmare (for no added benefit to the devs AKA all risk, no reward) for the devs.

end semi-rant

Lonami
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:48 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by Lonami » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:32 pm

factoriouzr wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:04 pm

I'm good with that just give us the game already :)
The game is there already though, with perfectly playable content. You should be aware that you bought the game before it reached 1.0, and developing quality content takes time. Just trust on the good judgement of the developers. They haven't disappointed yet :D

TOGoS
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by TOGoS » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:51 pm

TigBits wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:23 pm
Terrain generation updates
Will we still be able to do these things?

1. Create a map without trees
2. Create a map without cliffs
3. Restrict water to the starting area
Mmmmmmyes.
Attachments
none.png
none.png (27.38 KiB) Viewed 1410 times

Post Reply

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users