Pyblock Letsplay

pyanodon's mods are here

Moderator: pyanodon

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Pyblock Letsplay

Post by kingarthur »

ive uploaded the first ep of a pyblock series to youtube for anybody that wants to watch me talk to myself and suck at factorio.

playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... eg12_RwzbI

Ep 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbAGYNuY6Nc
ep 2:
https://youtu.be/NjUrl0HZeT4
ep 3:
https://youtu.be/4KL3JQbynAw
ep 4:
https://youtu.be/tFcyGjHCZ4I
Last edited by kingarthur on Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Pyblock Letsplay

Post by pyanodon »

kingarthur wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:40 pm
ive uploaded the first ep of a pyblock series to youtube for anybody that wants to watch me talk to myself and suck at factorio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbAGYNuY6Nc
oh boy, that´s honey to my eyes. I love watch lets play series with my mods to gather info :3
pY Coal processing mod
Discord: Pyanodon #5791

reapersms
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by reapersms »

about 2/3 of the way through the video so far, immediate comments:

the confusion bit halfway in where it looked like the furnace wasn't running is due to the burner inserter taking longer to insert scrap iron than it takes to smelt it, so the furnace goes inactive until it gets more

after you research whichever tech it was that unlocks the 8:1 iron plate, furnaces will automatically pick that one over the 2:1 wrought iron

edit: I am way too used to LongReach of 125, early game I didn't even bother with inserters for the smelting, and just moved stacks around from the other side of the island

Cardoyle
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cardoyle »

You got a thumbs up from me. Will be nice to see how other people tackle "Pyanodon's Puzzles"

Pridesfall
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pridesfall »

Sweet! I'm gonna watch that tonight.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

well i put out a second video but not a lot happened. i think im record the next bit and time lapse it forward till gets to the more interesting things for the third video

Cardoyle
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cardoyle »

I remember when i played Seablock a while back, I put it on double speed and let it run for a few hours to get a supply of landfill/Plates. At least in your version it looks as tho power isn't going to be a problem so should help speed things up considerably.

I think once you get a steady supply of the basics up and running, they will stockpile while you are designing builds etc

zizzleswomp
Inserter
Inserter

Post by zizzleswomp »

Yeah, I'm totally okay with an edited-down video, especially if it's just waiting on materials to build up so you can do a burst of activity.

Things I would hope you don't edit-out:
- I really like when you talk about the decisions you make and what factors you consider. For instance, I liked that you called out that coal gas and tailings are not immediately valuable at the start, so you're just going to vent/dump them, but you mention that will change in the future and you'll have to adjust when you get to that stage. Or you talk about why you're doing things in the order you're doing them in: get renewable fuel and ore up and running, then move on to landfill production, then science, etc.
- I also think it's valuable to see you encounter the common gotchas that people might run into. Like, I thought it was good to see you have a little struggle with the smelters being inserter-fed from the quenching tower because they both tried to grab iron rather than one doing iron and the other doing copper.

If I might make one little suggestion, I would prefer you turn the game audio down a bit relative to your voice volume. The "plonk" of placing items and the sound of machines running when you open their interface is a bit distracting.

Look forward to your next video!

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immortal_sniper1 »

kingarthur wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:40 pm
well i put out a second video but not a lot happened. i think im record the next bit and time lapse it forward till gets to the more interesting things for the third video
maybe post a link for every episode and maybe make it that a huge cu mine also spowns neerby
rush solar , or maybe start with like 5-10 solar panels

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

immortal_sniper1 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:03 am
maybe post a link for every episode and maybe make it that a huge cu mine also spowns neerby
ya after i upload the third episode im going to put them in a playlist ill add a link to in the op and ill start linking each episode.

i could add a cu mine close to start but so far im not far enough to have even use it and pre pyro testing copper was over abundant. more recent feedback also leans towards copper still being underused compared to iron. have you had a different experience?

also why start with solar? pymods has so many power options and fuel is super easy and is more a byproduct that needs used for ore "mining" than something that is in desperate need like in seablock.

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immortal_sniper1 »

kingarthur wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:45 am
immortal_sniper1 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:03 am
ya after i upload the third episode im going to put them in a playlist ill add a link to in the op and ill start linking each episode.

i could add a cu mine close to start but so far im not far enough to have even use it and pre pyro testing copper was over abundant. more recent feedback also leans towards copper still being underused compared to iron. have you had a different experience?

also why start with solar? pymods has so many power options and fuel is super easy and is more a byproduct that needs used for ore "mining" than something that is in desperate need like in seablock.
start with a little solar in order to have some faster inserters here and there

zizzleswomp
Inserter
Inserter

Post by zizzleswomp »

Starting with specialized setup like copper / solar doesn't sit well with me. It doesn't represent the experience that everyone else will have playing PyBlock.

reapersms
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by reapersms »

tl;dr:

Iron will be relatively plentiful after the initial startup, copper will be as well until duralumin unlocks.
Chromium will back up heavily.

A rough guess as to how my current run (~50 lazy hours so far) went:

QoL mods involved are Deadlock's stacking, crating, and compact loaders, LongReach, and SqueakThrough.

Initial startup was similar, focused on getting more crude nurseries and burner wood processors set up to get the log->wood->coal->coke line set up. Chest buffering the raw wood coming in, coke & iron oxide dumped in a chest. Quenching tower I just manually unloaded into some furnaces from time to time. Tin & Aluminium I did the same thing for a while.
Set up some soil extractors into a burner washer into an assembler for landfill.
Slow going to get the screener set up for quartz, to kickstart the research side.

Current state is something like:

One line of wood->coal->coke (running the coal gas recipes), and another couple fawogae->coal->coal gas, with the excess coke going into the (not great) coke->coal gas recipe.
Coal gas from there runs into a tank, with a pump prioritizing it towards syngas production fed straight into power houses for the 600 degree recipe. Expansion here has generally been to add a power house when the turbines run dry, add a turbine when they hit full capacity, and add extra fawogae lines if the coal gas runs out or more tar is needed (7 fawogae -> 2 HPF -> 1 DDC is worth about 1000 tar/min. Adding another 7 fawogae and a DDC only adds one HPF past that). Excess coal gas is routed down to HPFs cooking crushed quartz.

Power setup is 4 steam engines on a separate network that keep the power houses, gasifiers, and distillation columns for the coal gas running no matter what, the boilers just vamp off the outgoing coke belt. It's running through a stacking beltbox, as the boilers don't need to unstack it, and it reduces the inserter load. The stack limits adjust to keep the total amount stored the same. 100 stacked coke is a good 5 GJ, so I'm not worried about the boilers coming up dry.

The tar from there gets buffered through a tank, and feeds 4 quenching towers, one per recipe
Excess tar is turned into coal gas (now circuit controlled)
There's a soil generator->stone->tar line running, but it isn't at 100% yet, and occasionally gets stopped up because coal dust backs up. The smelt lines don't consume enough.

Quenching towers run straight across into some smelting lines, with those expanded as needed. The chromium/lead one has been backed up for the last 10-15 hours, mostly thanks to the stack size difference. Borax/Niobium is off to the side, running straight into the HPFs needed to make the boron trioxide for the science-pack-2 incredients.
There is an iron mine nearby, I have it running straight into a jaw crusher, with the output going into a chest. Occasionally I will ferry the iron from there into a spare dump on the smelting lines. Recently I set up another furnace and rail production up there, though several of the raw materials are manually moved over.

There are a couple of quartz production lines, older ones run through washers, newer ones use solid separators. At this point they produce enough to keep 2 HPFs running at 100%, though still not quite fast enough to keep an autofac on science-pack-1 running flat out.

Copper and aluminium were relatively plentiful until recently. Once the science-pack-1 line started running enough to keep a steady duralumin demand going, I quit having a large copper surplus. It's starting to become an issue.

I have a minimum usable line for melamine resin running, further expansion there needs a ton of glass to start scaling up raw fiber production

My current TODO/Concerns list looks something like:

CO2 generation gets backed up easily on limestone. Worse, the first cycle that actually uses lime is net-positive on limestone, so I'll probably have to just set up a burner to get rid of it soon.
There's still a lot of manual supplying going on. Most notably, fuel to the iron mine, lead, tin, stone, treated wood, and fuel for the iron rail production, iron to the lamp assembler for the ralesia, processed iron ore to the smelting line occasionally, copper to the formaldehyde line for melamine, and a few manual stone bits here and there.
Things are packed in to a point where getting iron/copper out to the rest, or getting coke anywhere are enough of a pain to need a real rework.
LTN stations need circuit board 2, so that isn't going to save me yet.
A proper Main Bus doesn't work out so nicely with pymods, but some semblance of one might be needed soonish as a stopgap before the trains really start rolling

TODO

Rearrange some things so I can get rid of some of these manual transfers
Get borax more generally avaliable, and get real ore processing set up off of the quenching towers so I can switch to molten iron casting, and copper from grade-2
Get sand more accessible, and switch to powdered quartz
Steel production is woefully under par, only being fed by plates from iron oxide, and the furnaces are overwhelmed and trapped
Rig up niobium processing, it or one of the other semi-exotic ones is necessary for sand extractors
Get one of the crude oil recipes running, any of them, into a gigantic tank for now
Get a mukmoux lard production operation going, to provide the glycerol to turn the excess of coal dust into briquettes
Transition some of the sand production over to direct sand and/or stone production via sand extractors & iron sticks to cut down some of the byproducts, and hopefully be a tad easier to scale up
Find a spot to start getting the circuit board 1 automation going
Get the skeleton of a train network started, even if proper LTN control is still a ways off
Get better at manipulating helmod, or write my own

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

holy wall of text batman. might we get some pics to see what it looks like

reapersms
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by reapersms »

I'll see what I can do. It is a godawful mess of spaghetti.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

reapersms wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:29 am
I'll see what I can do. It is a godawful mess of spaghetti.
nobody said it needs to be pretty. spaghetti just means its got flavor

reapersms
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by reapersms »

https://imgur.com/gallery/tYkwoYY has a collection of shots from it, along with a gigantic shot of the entire island

The cropped down shots may have been resized a bit too small for details, but the big jpeg of the whole island is only about 8M

I spend a lot of time at max zoom in a 2560x1440ish window and have LongReach set to 125, which is a large part of why I still move a lot of resources around by hand.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

well got the timelpse recorded and rest of the video done. was little over 2 hours of play time and almost to getting sci 1 started now. so video 3 is up and heres links to ep 2 and 3 and the full playlist.

ep 2:
https://youtu.be/NjUrl0HZeT4
ep 3:
https://youtu.be/4KL3JQbynAw
playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... eg12_RwzbI

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

episode four is live got science started although not yet automated. https://youtu.be/tFcyGjHCZ4I

reapersms
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by reapersms »

Was out of town for a week, nice job on getting past the initial science hump.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Y66J6f1 has the highlights from a couple of evenings of improvements. Not too much visible, it's been a lot of slow repiping, belt threading, a power crisis, a couple of bottleneck unclogs, and a lot of fiddling with helmod.

Main accomplishments have been finding a good enough sink for limestone to keep it from clogging up storehouses, improving the copper production, and getting the PCB1 line up. It should have all of the raw materials for circuit 1 covered now.

Medium term goal here is getting circuit 2 bootstrapped up so I can start on science 3, but more importantly, start building LTN stations and get proper trains running. I have a feeling that will be further in the future than I expect, as chromium and aluminum will need expanding, niobium is just piling up in a chest right now, and I have only just now gotten the raw materials to start making real oil products. Some of those could have been done a bit earlier from tar, but those lines are a bit boxed in yet.

edit: just poked through helmod for circuit 2. That's going to be a while. I think I will need to settle for dumb trains before the smart ones are ready, and getting the chipshooter hooked up just inhaled the entire backlog of copper & iron I had.

Return to “PyMods”