Friday Facts #280 - Visual Feedback is the king

Regular reports on Factorio development.
0mega
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #280 - Visual Feedback is the king

Post by 0mega »

Toggle roboport and exoskeleton is great. Maybe toggle all trash slots too?

petr.adamek
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by petr.adamek »

The toolbar is great idea, access to the blueprint related tools through blueprint library was not so convenient. Direct access via tool bar will be more handy and I believe that having these tools visible on main screen will make them more attractive especially for new players. I remember that it took me some time until I realised that blueprints or deconstruction planers even exist when I was a new player.

Also toggle personal roboport is a nice and useful function.

Thank you for your great work, I am looking forward to 0.17 so much ;) .

tehfreek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by tehfreek »

Since the blueprint menu is gone, how will steinios toolbox be affected? Will mods be able to add custom items to the tool bar selection list?

peet1993
Inserter
Inserter

Post by peet1993 »

tehfreek wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:53 pm
Since the blueprint menu is gone, how will steinios toolbox be affected? Will mods be able to add custom items to the tool bar selection list?
"Mods will be able to add their own tools to the list, making it a nice place for players to access mod-created tools." Second to last sentence :D

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

g-box wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:51 pm
Toggle exoskeleton. Awesome! but... all of them? Maybe like 3 of 6? :)
See above about how much better it would be to have a slider instead of toggle, both for exos and robot range. :)

I've been suggesting the latter for a long time...!

Pinga
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pinga »

Amazing. Specially the toolbar, and toggles.

Would you kindly add an option to Toggle Personal Logistics? For example, when you die, you don't need to re-request everything, since your stuff is waiting for you in your body. Actually, it would be really convenient if there was an option to automatically turn off the personal requests when you die. Another use case is that sometimes you don't want to dump your auto-trash slots unless you are in the correct zone. Or maybe you just want to reorganize your inventory, and need the personal requests to be off for a little bit.

Seems very useful to me, and shouldn't be too complicated to implement.
Last edited by Pinga on Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

"toggle logistics requests" would be nice too

alefu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by alefu »

I had hoped for news on 0.17, but I think this was even better!

Gebus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gebus »

Looks amazing! I'm going to have to take a day off work for the 0.17 release. One small nitpick... please make ALT the default view :) So many noobs have trouble building and this is about the single best visual aid in the game. I never have it off since I learned of it, and if I hit ALT by accident I have a "what the hell" moment.

I haven't seen anyone denying that Spidertron is coming?...
Last edited by Gebus on Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mernom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mernom »

Thoughts about waypoints: As it is, I think that it'd be better to implament the following rule:
If the station has wait conditions, treat it normally. If it doesn't, calculate the route to the next station immediatly (as soon as it leaves the previoues station).
Also, make stations function like chain signals.

dasiro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dasiro »

conditional stations would be awesome, for example when you don't have enough fuel anymore or there's still enough ore in the target station, but I guess we'll have to wait for another release for that :/

MatHack
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MatHack »

0mega wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:52 pm
Toggle roboport and exoskeleton is great. Maybe toggle all trash slots too?
Serenity wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:00 pm
"toggle logistics requests" would be nice too
Toggle trash & logistic slots sounds like a great idea, would love that as well!
Dev by day, gamer by night

viveks711
Inserter
Inserter

Post by viveks711 »

The train UI kind of looks like a sperm. Not that I'm complaining. but, It probably wont take long until someone make a video of a "sperm" fertilizing an "egg" in Factorio.

Gebus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gebus »

IronCartographer wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:56 pm
See above about how much better it would be to have a slider instead of toggle, both for exos and robot range. :)

I feel like stacking exoskeletons is a bit of an exploit. I'd like to see only 1 allowed, but tech/power costs reduced and speed increased to make it a mid-game feature (I don't usually bother until I have power armor 2) and then a late game solution for quick movement. Maybe a hoverboard or exoskeleton mrk2 with a super jump feature to cross buildings/pipes/cliffs/walls... just thinking out loud.

maniak1349
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by maniak1349 »

Suggestion for the train UI: hide remove and add rule/station buttons by default and add a toggle button for editing mode in which they will appear. This will result in much tidier schedule appearance while not editing.

jemand2001
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jemand2001 »

this looks great!
the only thing i'd want to add is a hotkey for centering the map in the train GUI

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

Gebus wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:09 pm
IronCartographer wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:56 pm

I feel like stacking exoskeletons is a bit of an exploit. I'd like to see only 1 allowed, but tech/power costs reduced and speed increased to make it a mid-game feature (I don't usually bother until I have power armor 2) and then a late game solution for quick movement. Maybe a hoverboard or exoskeleton mrk2 with a super jump feature to cross buildings/pipes/cliffs/walls... just thinking out loud.
Exo speed as an infinite tech (with lower baseline values) would be interesting, but then there'd be an even stronger case for capping speed or at least acceleration with a slider. :P

Could merge it with an abstracted form of train braking force and apply it to vehicles in general!
Last edited by IronCartographer on Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raiguard
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by raiguard »

I literally squeaked when I saw "toggle personal roboport" and "toggle exoskeletons"! I had already used a mod for this, but having it in vanilla will be very nice indeed! Personally I would like to be able to toggle absolutely everything (logistics requests, trash slots, belt movement compensator, personal lasers, etc.) but I think those would be better suited for a mod.

The train additions are VERY VERY nice as well. I haven't had a reason to use waypoints yet, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually. Aside from that, the more expressive feedback in the schedule, and the new UI additions, will make train usage much more pleasant.

Keep it up, guys! 0.17 is going to be absolutely amazing!

One more quick thing: I haven't heard or seen anything about the new sound design mentioned in FFF-252 since... well, FFF-252. Is that still coming in 0.17?
Don't forget, you're here forever.

petr.adamek
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by petr.adamek »

Pinga wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:59 pm
Would you kindly add an option to Toggle Personal Logistics? For example, when you die, you don't need to re-request everything, since your stuff is waiting for you in your body. Actually, it would be really convenient if there was an option to automatically turn off the personal requests when you die. Another use case is that sometimes you don't want to dump your auto-trash slots unless you are in the correct zone. Or maybe you just want to reorganize your inventory, and need the personal requests to be off for a little bit.
This sounds like a good idea, it is quite uncomfortable when you die and you can't pick up your stuff because your inventory is full of items redelivered by logistics robots while you are walking to your body.

Bokkie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bokkie »

JCav wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:32 pm
Toggle Personal Roboport....

I love you.
Exactly my thought!

Nine train things too 😊

Return to β€œNews”