Make Pumps report amount pumped to the circuit network

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

AngledLuffa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Make Pumps report amount pumped to the circuit network

Post by AngledLuffa »

TL;DR
Make the Pump objects report fluid transferred in the same way belts do
What ?
When connecting belts to the circuit network, you can measure how much is traveling. This is useful for things such as measuring how much has been pushed total in the course of a few minutes, for example. It would be very useful for some of my outposts to know how much gets pushed through a pipe. The pipes themselves might be hard to measure, since it might not always be clear which direction the fluid is going, but for a pump it is completely unambiguous.
Why ?
One example where I found it would be useful is in an outpost where I greatly overproduced petro gas for making plastic on site. I want to replace the petro gas manufacturing at this outpost, and I wanted to measure how much gas is actually being used so I don't waste too much power or space in the process.

An alternate solution is to measure how much plastic is being used and work backwards from there, but measuring the gas itself seemed much more intuitive.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Make Pumps report amount pumped to the circuit network

Post by leadraven »

I'm surprised this is not yet implemented, as this is very natural behavior. The same applies to offshore pumps and pumpjacks.

fjgj
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

pumps can output flowrate to circuit network

Post by fjgj »

Flowrate would be really usefull to use in the circuitnet, certainly for nuclear power control.
Also it is kind of stupid that you can read the flowrate of the pump by hovering with the mouse but not use it to control stuff.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Make Pumps report amount pumped to the circuit network

Post by Koub »

[Koub] If I'm not mistaken, this older thread is just about that. Topics merged.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”