Missing "active topics" in Quick links when logged out

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Missing "active topics" in Quick links when logged out

Post by fishycat »

Something got changed and I hope it was just an accident, because I really like that function and am used to it.

Can we get it back, please? :)

Sanqui
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Missing "active topics" in Quick links when logged out

Post by Sanqui »

I've limited some features available to bots and guests due to higher load on the forums. Is it a lot of trouble for you to simply log in? :)
ovo

fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by fishycat »

Hey Sanqui, thanks for reply. It's not a problem at all to log in, just me being lazy :D

Is it such a big impact when for example the active topics is available for guests?

Sanqui
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Sanqui »

fishycat wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:28 am
Hey Sanqui, thanks for reply. It's not a problem at all to log in, just me being lazy :D

Is it such a big impact when for example the active topics is available for guests?
Due to how phpBB is set up, it counts as a search, and I've disabled searches in general for guests and bots. (I also removed some logic that tells apart guests and bots because it was actually causing a lot of unnecessary load...)

I might try to bring the feature back for guests when I consider the performance stable enough to play with it again :)
ovo

Beefy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Beefy »

Hey Sanqui,

I, as a former "Guest" had to
  • Find this thread (which would have been easier with the former behaviour ;) )
  • Logged in on factorio.com assuming this would also log me in to the forum (yeah, maybe a weird expectation, but I've seen other games that do that)
  • Tried to log in to the forum only to realize that I was not registered here yet
  • Registered an acount, while failing the stupid Google ReCaptcha twice (that tiny dot in the distance is supposed to be a BOAT, Google? Seriously?!)
  • Had to fish the account verification mail out of my spam folder
  • Logged in and clicked on this thread
All just to post, that I really liked the "active topics" feature and used it a lot. I can only speak for myself, but other guests might have used it a lot, too and are now just too lazy to fulfill the steps above. I understand why you had to make the change, just wanted to put in my perspective.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Sanqui wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:35 am
fishycat wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:28 am

Due to how phpBB is set up, it counts as a search, and I've disabled searches in general for guests and bots. (I also removed some logic that tells apart guests and bots because it was actually causing a lot of unnecessary load...)

I might try to bring the feature back for guests when I consider the performance stable enough to play with it again :)
Now I'm kind of curious whether "Your posts" searches the entire forum's history for your posts, as that appears to be a search as well.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “This Forum”