Consumables, pollution, coal filters

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Consumables, pollution, coal filters

Post by leadraven »

Sorry for multiple suggestions in one topic, but they are connected.

First of all I suggest to increase pollution influence on the factory itself, not only biters. Examples :
  • Solar panel produce less power in polluted regions (thanks to numerous previous suggesters).
  • Polluted water cannot be used in boilers and chemical reactions.
  • Robots fly slower in polluted air.
Countermeasures:
  • Air and water cleaners that consume coal filters - new application for coal.
  • New slots in production buildings - Consumables.
Player chooses which consumable to be used in each slot and they are loaded by inserters, logistics or manually.
Consumables are consumed just like fuel, improving factory in module's manner for limited time (affected by production speed multiplier). Examples :
  • Coal filter - reduces pollution
  • Lubricant barrel - increases speed
  • Battery - reduce power consumption

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Consumables, pollution, coal filters

Post by Sad_Brother »

If you add filters, you should add pollution cleaner to consume filters and clear pollution.

Why battery should increase power consumption? No.

Pumped water should be clean or you get liquid chaos. What should you get with pollution level above zero? Pump get less water than maximum?

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

Sad_Brother wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:28 am
If you add filters, you should add pollution cleaner to consume filters and clear pollution.
I've mentioned cleaners...
Sad_Brother wrote:
Reduce. I don't really care about explanation. I just like battery as intermediate item and wish it to have more industry applications.
Sad_Brother wrote:
Pumped water should be clean or you get liquid chaos. What should you get with pollution level above zero? Pump get less water than maximum?
Dirty water definitely shouldn't be a separate liquid, and numeric pollution level is an over-complication.
I'd suggest pump not to work with water above certain pollution level at all, and force player to use more advanced water treatment plant. But player has a chance to stuck with dirty water and no recycling.
So yeah, higher pollution -> lower water throughput might be a best option. Water treatment plant must also be affected by this effect, but to a lesser extent.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

leadraven wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:11 pm
Sad_Brother wrote:
I've mentioned cleaners...
Sad_Brother wrote:
Reduce. I don't really care about explanation. I just like battery as intermediate item and wish it to have more industry applications.
Sad_Brother wrote:
Dirty water definitely shouldn't be a separate liquid, and numeric pollution level is an over-complication.
I'd suggest pump not to work with water above certain pollution level at all, and force player to use more advanced water treatment plant. But player has a chance to stuck with dirty water and no recycling.
So yeah, higher pollution -> lower water throughput might be a best option. Water treatment plant must also be affected by this effect, but to a lesser extent.
I would go the opposite way: Make dirty water a separate thing. If the pump is in a region with too high pollution (some is OK or there won't be any clean water anywhere) it outputs dirty water. If you boil dirty water you get residuals in the boiler, e.g. Slag. You then need extra inserters to remove the slag from the boilers or they will stop working.

Recipes using water can decide if they want a dirty water flavor too. But I would think not. For chemical processes filter the water first. Just for boilers I think there must be a way to work with polluted water or you get stuck with no energy to clean the water.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

mrvn wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:40 pm
I would go the opposite way: Make dirty water a separate thing. If the pump is in a region with too high pollution (some is OK or there won't be any clean water anywhere) it outputs dirty water. If you boil dirty water you get residuals in the boiler, e.g. Slag. You then need extra inserters to remove the slag from the boilers or they will stop working.
Might be an interesting mechanic, but only if you can find a use for, or a reasonable way to dispose of the "slag."

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

See also: Bob's + Angel's

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

invisus wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:58 pm
mrvn wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:40 pm
Might be an interesting mechanic, but only if you can find a use for, or a reasonable way to dispose of the "slag."
Simple use would be to make landfill out of it.

Also the aim would be not have dirty water. Go green and you won't have to fill chest after chest with slag. :)

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

mrvn wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:16 pm
Simple use would be to make landfill out of it.

Also the aim would be not have dirty water. Go green and you won't have to fill chest after chest with slag. :)
Landfill is a pretty sound idea. Would this require two landfill recipes or does the game allow optional ingredients? None come to mind.

I think using slag as an aggregate in concrete, or as ballast/foundation for rails would be reasonable as well.

Ultros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ultros »

This mod viewtopic.php?f=190&t=7548&hilit=negative+emissions seems to do something like you are suggesting regarding removing pollution. I agree that it should be a part of the vanilla game, it just adds a new level of depth and increases player agency regarding pollution, since the current method of dealing with it is to basically kill off any biters that are within the cloud.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”