Where is my "Portable Nuclear Reactor" for my power armor?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

matrixkid29
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Where is my "Portable Nuclear Reactor" for my power armor?

Post by matrixkid29 »

Just how it sounds, it would be the next tier power supply for your armor/exoskeleton. Perhaps smaller and more powerful than the "portable fusion reactor" but you need to carry uranium fuel cells in your inventory to power it.

Semaphor
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Where is my "Portable Nuclear Reactor" for my power armor?

Post by Semaphor »

It would be nice to replace the fusion reactor with a Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator (RTG, RITEG). Fusion isn't used anywhere else and we can't build fusion power plants. But we already have nuclear plants, so it's just a modification to that technology.

Longbolt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Longbolt »

Lol, I though this in the past too. It might be better if they just made the portable fusion reactor an atomic battery, or added fusion as a possible energy source besides fission.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

A single U-235 contains 80GJ of energy (1 U-235 > 10x 8GJ Fuel Cells), if such a device contained just one and had an output of 1.5MW it would take almost 15 hours to deplete. This is endgame stuff so have it require 100 (inconsequential with KEP), would then take 1,500 hours to deplete, a practical impossibility.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Thrall
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Thrall »

Same idea here, i would suggest to make the personal power generation more "lore-friendly".

The fusion reactor doesnt fit in the game because there is no such tech for the use in ure base. i would like to have a low tier generator for the personal armour, like personal steam generator, which would require no yellow packs but consume lots of fuel (so you are limeted in use, cause u have to carry fuel, but can use bots slightly earlier in game) and for the end game, a nucular related tech like suggested above which consumes nukular fuel or is build with some nucular fuel (like an rtg) and decayes slowly over time, and you have to build a new one if it is depleted.

It would be much more consistent with the rest of the game if the personal power generation would consume at least some fuel and if the magic fusion tech would leave (or would be integrated to the rest of the game but i guess thats not a good option)

ThePlagueDoctor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ThePlagueDoctor »

matrixkid29 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:24 pm
Just how it sounds, it would be the next tier power supply for your armor/exoskeleton. Perhaps smaller and more powerful than the "portable fusion reactor" but you need to carry uranium fuel cells in your inventory to power it.
I agree it should be a tier but reversed. Fusion is more powerful that fission last I checked, hence why modern day technology still can't produce such a thing. I also do agree with adding a fusion reactor for the base as said in other replies.

Apologies for the necro.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

Just replace Portable fusion reactor with Portable nuclear reactor. Keep size and power, just another recipe and technological dependencies. It would fit better to the game.

MoleOnDope
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MoleOnDope »

leadraven wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:43 pm
Just replace Portable fusion reactor with Portable nuclear reactor. Keep size and power, just another recipe and technological dependencies. It would fit better to the game.
Exactly my suggestion.
The first time I crafted the Portable Fusion Reactor I didn't know what to to with it because I didn't see where to insert the nuclear fuel cell :lol:
I'd say it would make sense to have the tier 2 energy supply for power armors have consume fuel, both from the lore and the game mechanics side:
  • Fusion has no mention anywhere else in the game, and Fission is already fully established. That's the reason why I straightup expected the reactor to require nuclear fuel cells to run.
  • I think it feels "cheaty" for the currently highest tier of mobile power supply to simply hand out infinite power for free. You just plop it in and forget about it for the rest of the game. Requiring the player to take care of his power supply (within a reasonable scale) would, in my oppinion, add a sense of appreciation for how powerful fission really is.
The Balancing (grid size, power output) is fine anyway, as leadraven already stated.

Chao
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chao »

I fully support replacing the personal fusion reactor with a personal nuclear reactor for consistency. Perhaps also with a recipe update to include a nuclear fuel cell in the recipe.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”