Map generation cu vs fe

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Shadak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Map generation cu vs fe

Post by Shadak »

so...I stopped playing my 0.16 game because as always in the late game I'm hunting iron ore patches and new in 0.16 I'm annyoed by cliffs...

but good news 0.17 is coming and my bots and this cliffs will be fine. but I want to start a new game then and then I want to fix the fe to cu ratio on the map. any suggestions how I can generate a map with a decent/usable ration for cu to fe? atm I'm still mining copper from the area around the starting area while chasing iron from areas much farer away... (everything else is fine) and my ocd hates these copper patches...

for comparison the map exchange string:
>>>eNpjYBBgMGZgYGBmZmdJzk/MYWJh4UrOLyhILdLNL0oF8jiTi0pT
UnXzM8FSqXmpuZW6SYnFqczMzByZRfl5UGWsxSX5eSAGd2lRYl5maS5
UnIHRKK5PsaFFjgGE/9czJPz7D8JA1gJGBjAG2c7ACBSAAdbknMy0NA
YGBUcQZmRkrBZZ5/6waoo9RDGDngOU8QEqErEbKvKgFcqIWA1ldByGM
hzmwxj1MEa/A6MxGHy2RzAgdpUATYZawuGAYEAkW0CSjIy9b7cu+H7s
gh3jn5UfL/kmJdgzZsqG+gqUvrcDSrIDNTAywYlZM0FgJ8wHDDAzH9h
DpW7aM549AwJv7BlZQTpEQISDBZA44A0MHgE+IGtBD5BQkGGAOc0OZo
yIA2MaGHyD+eQxjHHZHt0fKg6MNiDD5UDECRABthDuMkYoM9IBIiGJk
AVqNWJAtj4F4bmTMBsPI1mN5gYVmBtMHLB4AU1EBSnguUD2pMCJF8xw
RwBD8AI7jAeMW2YGBPhg//bLv2cAt5eJjA==<<<

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Map generation cu vs fe

Post by GrumpyJoe »

maybe post a pic of the map, its easier to answer for people reading but not able to start a game (for example, im currently at work)

-how far into the game are you? the later the game, the more circuits you´ll need, the more copper you´ll need. fe/cu ratios on the map are not 1:1, but shouldnt be that far apart. Yes, i too dont like the map gen, but for different reasons

-how far away from spawn are you really? could only be seen in a screen (see above). Its all relative. For all people reading this know, you could be just outside starting area :roll:

Shadak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Shadak »

I have three rocket silos running. and I've launched...some rockets.

I've attached a complete map and the starting area. you can see I still use the copper patch next to the lake and I mined some patches to the north...mostly for my OCD. I want solarfarms there...
I just finished my expansion to the north, I already started consuming every iron patch there because my patches in the east are start running dry. but I havent even touched the copper there...

could it be possible that it depends what production paths you are going?
I use solar und accu, laser and bots. no train (I'm feeling to dumb for them), only a bit steam in the endgame (to burn some coal patches and a lot of wood), till now also no nuclear
Attachments
starting_area.PNG
starting_area.PNG (103.56 KiB) Viewed 4051 times
map.PNG
map.PNG (243.63 KiB) Viewed 4051 times

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

without turret coverage and power grid it would be easier to see, but that looks odd. need to load that string.
i hate work ^^

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

ok, you need someone else, who is more experienced with map exchange strings

1st test didn´t even remotely look like yours.
i always thought that you mess with any setting, the string would disappear in the settings page. Which sometimes it still did.
However, i could click on Rail world, and the string was still there.
that map also looked not like yours

/shrug

however, in both tries, i found 7M iron not so far away, but to the
west

No idea why I´m spolering this, since it doesnt look like your map, but i think thats some of the Factorio experience, looking for ores on the map

used a super radar from creative mode (no other mods active), which scans far more than you revealed so far and overall it seemed balanced.
Guess its just the closer patches abit off.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:07 pm
without turret coverage and power grid it would be easier to see, but that looks odd. need to load that string.
i hate work ^^
I'm guessing the middle part of the map was generated in 0.15.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

They are changing map generation in 0.17. They are balancing the ores better. At least, they say they are and there's no reason to not believe them.

Even if you don't believe them, any 0.16 based advise will not work in 0.17, so the only option right now is to wait.

Shadak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Shadak »

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:07 pm
i hate work ^^
attached as wished :)

@5thHorseman: I'm not sure when I started it... i playing scince .16 was stable...
Attachments
map_wo_all.PNG
map_wo_all.PNG (228.44 KiB) Viewed 3950 times

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by billbo99 »

The mod PickerExtened, has a tool that allows you to delete ore patches if that would help your OCD.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

billbo99 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:08 pm
The mod PickerExtened, has a tool that allows you to delete ore patches if that would help your OCD.
Or just use Ore Eraser -- also handy for when you want to mine an ore field which is butted up against another type of ore...
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

Mr. Tact wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:20 pm
Or just use Ore Eraser -- also handy for when you want to mine an ore field which is butted up against another type of ore...

Splitter filters have been all I've needed or wanted to handle mixed ore patches.
https://wiki.factorio.com/Splitter#History wrote: History
0.16.17:
  • Added filter to splitter.
  • Added input and output priority to splitter.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

invisus wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:49 pm
Splitter filters have been all I've needed or wanted to handle mixed ore patches.
Meh. Yeah, that works -- I have even done it. But then you have to store the ore, so much easier to just get rid of it.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

Mr. Tact wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:38 pm
Meh. Yeah, that works -- I have even done it. But then you have to store the ore, so much easier to just get rid of it.
You don't have to store it. You can belt it somewhere useful, bot it somewhere useful, or even yes, buffer it in a chest until you can pick it up in a train or whatever you'd like. Oddly enough, it's these kinds of little challenges that I find quite satisfying in Factorio.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Uh, no -- I can't. I am well past the point of belting or botting ore to my base. Hell, some of my ore trains take over a minute one way (on nuclear fuel) to reach the ore mining location.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

Mr. Tact wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:19 am
Uh, no -- I can't. I am well past the point of belting or botting ore to my base. Hell, some of my ore trains take over a minute one way (on nuclear fuel) to reach the ore mining location.
Ah fair enough for much larger bases. I perhaps incorrectly seem to see mixed patches as a problem earlier in the game or for smaller bases, and less so with bigger/mega-bases. I suppose in the latter case I've assumed that patches would be more selectively chosen for harvesting. Shows what I know though.

Shadak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Shadak »

mods a not an option for me...
I would just prefere not only to expand for iron...
okay, in the early game I expand for oil, but soon after that it changes to iron and stays at iron...

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

invisus wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:39 am
Ah fair enough for much larger bases. I perhaps incorrectly seem to see mixed patches as a problem earlier in the game or for smaller bases, and less so with bigger/mega-bases. I suppose in the latter case I've assumed that patches would be more selectively chosen for harvesting. Shows what I know though.
Well, I certainly could either avoid mixed patches or place mining drills so they only lay on the ore I want. But I find those choices less convenient than simply clipping a few thousand ore out of the way. To each their own, neither is right or wrong, just a matter of preference. Cheers. :D

Return to “Gameplay Help”