Updating from 0.16 to 0.17

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Morlow
Inserter
Inserter

Updating from 0.16 to 0.17

Post by Morlow »

Hey all I just started playing Factorio again and I see that 0.17 will be out soon. My question is can I continue my current game after the patch? I have never played through a patch before and I really want to play my current game for a long time to come.

I do use a lot of mods so I'm wondering if most of those will break also? I would like to be able to play it immediately after the update instead of waiting for all the mods to be updated to work but I'm not sure if that is possible.

Is there a way to continue playing on 0.16 after the patch if most of the mods are broken?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Updating from 0.16 to 0.17

Post by DaveMcW »

On Steam you can just undo your choice to opt-in to the experimental patch.

For other versions you will need to download the 0.16 zip file and unzip it in a different directory.

Warning: you can't open a save in 0.16 after it has been saved in 0.17.

Morlow
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Morlow »

Ah gotcha. Since technically Factorio is still in beta all the patches are considered experimental? I'm on steam so opting out seems like the best option until mods are updated.

Do you know, can I load a game with mods removed that I began the game with? I ask because some of the mods I use may never be updated for all I know. Some of them are pretty old and never technically updated even for 0.16 but they still seem to work.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Morlow wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:52 am
Ah gotcha. Since technically Factorio is still in beta all the patches are considered experimental? I'm on steam so opting out seems like the best option until mods are updated.

Do you know, can I load a game with mods removed that I began the game with? I ask because some of the mods I use may never be updated for all I know. Some of them are pretty old and never technically updated even for 0.16 but they still seem to work.
When it's released (probably in roughly the next month), 0.17.0 will be put in an experimental (opt-in) branch on Steam. Whenever they think it's stable (just for reference, the first stable version of 0.16 was 0.16.36, which was released about three months after 0.16.0), Factorio will update to that automatically, but you should (to the best of my knowledge - you may even be able to do this now) then be able to opt-in to the 0.16 stable, preventing Factorio from updating with continued, even stable, updates to 0.17. This is all managed by right clicking on Factorio in your Steam library, going to properties, and going to the betas tab.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

If you want to be sure to be able to keep this game exactly in this configuration forever, the best solution is to download the standalone (zip) version of the game on Factorio website, mod it, and disable the auto-updates in the options. You can do that as many times as you likefor different versions of the game.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Technical Help”