[0.16.51] Multiplayer Networking should use Optimistic updates instead of Pessimistic

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Marshal313
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.16.51] Multiplayer Networking should use Optimistic updates instead of Pessimistic

Post by Marshal313 »

I'm not sure about the underlying network implementations, But I guess (due to the way game acts in network plays) that many network updates are implemented by a pessimistic algorithm, which means clients update visuals after their input was sent to server and after they received a reply from server. Though there are Optimistic updates for some cases (like player movements), There are still updates which look too laggy on client-side due to (at least looks like it's due to) having a pessimistic update algorithm. For example, when driving a car it takes a long time to update the client, which makes it quiet impossible to play on slower internet connections.
I think at least movements (including car movements) should be updated the same way player movements are.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.51] Multiplayer Networking should use Optimistic updates instead of Pessimistic

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however that's a feature suggestion not a bug.

Every thing we add to the latency system is essentially code duplication of the normal game logic. Something like walking is fairly simple but car driving has a ton of variables and as such we haven't added it to the latency system.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Marshal313
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.16.51] Multiplayer Networking should use Optimistic updates instead of Pessimistic

Post by Marshal313 »

Thanks for your reply.
I think it should have a high priority, since even on LAN networks using cars is too laggy.

rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rldml »

Hello all,

is there some sort of wikipage or similar where i can learn something about these concepts? It makes me nervous that i don't have any clue what you're talking about :D

Greetings, Ronny

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

rldml wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:25 am
Hello all,

is there some sort of wikipage or similar where i can learn something about these concepts? It makes me nervous that i don't have any clue what you're talking about :D

Greetings, Ronny
Search for "Latency hiding". I think this should help you get any answers you need :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rldml »

Koub wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:39 am
Search for "Latency hiding". I think this should help you get any answers you need :)
AWESOME!

I've did this within bing with your search words and one of the first hits is https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-83 :lol:

That's exactly what i searched for, thx ;)

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

The one thing that should be optimistic is the pipette tool. It's super annoying to have it be so laggy.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

bobucles wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:14 am
The one thing that should be optimistic is the pipette tool. It's super annoying to have it be so laggy.
It already is.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”