[Italian - 0.2.8] Complete

Discuss translation contributions here.
Mugen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Italian - 0.2.8] Complete

Post by Mugen »

This is the official thread for the italian translation of Factorio. I'll try keep the pace with the game.

Here the latest version, with everything inside: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sbpx1p74s2jbvpm/rOaQd7hKug

If you have any suggestion for a better translation or if you have found a typo please report it here.
Any contribution is welcomed! ;)

Note for the developers: I think there shouldn't be encoding problems now. I also improved almost every file.
Last edited by Mugen on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:46 am, edited 7 times in total.

mrdormouse
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Italian translation

Post by mrdormouse »

hello, i'm an italian supporter, and i started translating the game in italian too... i'm testing some lines with the instructions that you guys posted here, i hope to try and send you a completed test very soon :)

Mugen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mugen »

I'm back!

I finished the italian translation, that is available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sbpx1p74s2jbvpm/rOaQd7hKug

It's complete, except for the aplha campaign that I don't have.

Sadly it gives an error loading the game, surely i've messed something, so I'll check it and update the file as soon as possible.

A translator note: if you need plurals in english you have just to add an s

Code: Select all

"msg-have-electricity": "Now you can use the electricity to power __ENTITY__basic-mining-drill__[b]s [/b]and __ENTITY__basic-inserter__[b]s[/b].",
In Italian you have to change the base word and this keeps you from using plurals.

It cause problems to change, for example, __ENTITY__basic-mining-drill__ in mining drill?
Last edited by Mugen on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

mindreader
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mindreader »

In Italian you have to change the base word and this keeps you from using plurals.

It cause problems to change, for example, __ENTITY__basic-mining-drill__ in mining drill?
Mugen, Devs left this tags for further changing entitys names, without need of changing words it self in every "locale" file.

For me as a Russian translator of the game, there were same problems.

How to solve that:

1) You have to change from __ENTITY__basic-mining-drill__ to __ENTITY__basic-mining-drill-1__
2) You have to add new Entity __ENTITY__basic-mining-drill-1__ in file entity-names.cfg. (...\Factorio\game\data\locale\it)
3) Translate this new entity the way it should be translated in this specific place.
4) In case of need of additional word`s base changing, keep creating new entitys -2, -3, so on.

Please confirm if instructions are clear. ;)

Mugen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mugen »

Very clear, thanks a lot Mindreader ;) .
I just rewrote the sentence in a way that allowed a singular until now (it didn't happened so much times though).

With this knowledge a perfect translation is possible. Good!

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Hi thank you for the contribution!

I'm just adding it to the game, just one note, we use the utf-8 without BOM encoding, I can convert it easily, just to let you know.
I don't know what editor you use, I use Notepad++ and I can just switch Encoding->Utf8 without BOM.
Just one little trick, if you want to convert it, and switch the encoding, all the special characters are messy, so I do ctrl-c, change encoding, and ctrl-v.

PS. Alpha is on the way to you already :)

Mugen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mugen »

I just used the Mac's TextEdit like a noob, didn't know anything about encoding :D .
I knew something was not going on properly when it continually changed the " character.

Now I can work on a more clean translation and also on the alpha campaign :) :) :) .
Also, I'm still doubting the better translation for stack, recipe and so on... I need to play minecraft in italian!

mrdormouse
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mrdormouse »

oh well, Mugen, you've been faster than me in completing it ;) good work!

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Upfront the post I would like to thank you guys (especially Mugen) for your time and translation you provided us with.

There were some problems I came across when integrating it into the game. Please take this as observations not critics. I actually had a lot of fun doing this (took me about an hour) and I thought it would be a good idea to share that with you. Take it at a sneak peek on what sort of things we are busy at the moment.

I will update the guide for translations with this. It is mostly our mistake that we haven't stated clearly what we need.

Brief list of steps I had to take to integrate the translation:

1) Updated the files, ran the game, not working. Figured out there were some messy characters in it.json files. Hmm looks like a wrong encoding.
2) Trying to figure out what the encoding of the file is. Tried the enca (automating encoding analyzer) - bad idea. Opened the file in the TextEdit (I am running Mac OSx) - oh looks allright. However TextEdit won't tell you what encoding it is using (unless it is an html file). Opened the browser and kept switching the encodings till I found one where the file actually looked like Italian. So it is MAC ROMAN. Great.
3) Actually convert the files. Quick and dirty solution : custom script around iconv. Great it works.

#!/usr/bin/env python
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

import os

f = open("it-files", "r")
for line in f:
    line = line.strip()
    print line
    os.system("iconv -f MAC -t UTF-8 ~/Downloads/Public/italian_translation/%s > data/%s" % (line, line))
4) Fix the end of the lines. They have to be double quotes(") as well - the same as the in beginning of the line.

os.system("cat data/%s | tr ” \\\" | sponge data/%s" % (line, line))
5) Fixed couple of small issues (missing commas, missing quotes, etc.)
6) DONE !

7) Noticed that the tool and armor captions are overflowing the screen. That is a known problem which up to now has been solved by simply providing short translation names. We should probably code some automatic shortening in the game.

I had a lot of fun and learned couple of new things. After all those years of programming I finally start to appreciate the importance of UTF-8 (no BOM please) :D

The 0.2.7 will have partial (no alpha campaign) Italian translation.

Mugen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mugen »

@slpwnd. Just sorry for that hour you spent trying to solve my mistakes!
This morning I had no idea of what UTF-8 would mean :? . Now I have set TextEdit to open and register in that format, it don't talk about BOM but googling it seems to don't add them.

Then I tested the alpha to understand better some mechanics and naturally have fun!
So I think now I can provide a much cleaner translation, and add the alpha campaign text.

Could you send me per mail the converted files of my translation to start work with?
How much time I have until the release of 0.2.7? I think I can have it done for this night or tomorrow morning.
I would hate to see in the release a "not so perfect" work.

@mrdormouse. Thanks! I'll ask your opinion on two or three translation on PM.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Mugen wrote: Could you send me per mail the converted files of my translation to start work with?
How much time I have until the release of 0.2.7? I think I can have it done for this night or tomorrow morning.
You can get it from the release, it will be very soon, we are just finishing.

mrdormouse
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mrdormouse »

ciao Mugen, scusa ma non riesco a risponderti in PM, mi sa che ho ancora troppi pochi post sul forum per poterlo fare :)

intanto mi fa piacere aver fatto scattare la competizione, anche perchè almeno tu sei stato un fulmine a completarli, io ci avrei messo molto più tempo! :D

con le traduzioni che mi hai scritto, hai fatto benissimo direi!
- "stack" a me suona proprio bene come "gruppo di oggetti", io lo avevo tradotto con "pila di oggetti" ma non mi convinceva per niente!
- per "inserter" anche a me era venuto in mente "insertore", anche se non mi piace tanto come parola non saprei che altro provare... "braccio meccanico"? in alcuni articoli di robotica comunque "insertore" viene usato per definire le macchine che fanno proprio quel lavoro, per cui ok
- "clean cursor" = "resetta cursore" è perfetto
- "recipe"... anche a me non piace "ricetta", pensavo a "istruzioni", "costruzioni", "ordini", però mi sa che hai ragione con "oggetti ottenibili", è proprio il senso giusto

ho appena scaricato il nuovo alpha, ho visto che hanno già messo le tue traduzioni, le provo subito! ;)

Mugen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Italian - 0.2.8] Complete

Post by Mugen »

Updated the OP to the 0.2.8.

I'm very happy to see italian comments in the indiegogo page!

Stark
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stark »

I'm italian too,if u need help for some translation here I am! well done sir for this amazing game!

Mugen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mugen »

Hello Stark! I would appreciate a lot if you could test the translation that will exit in the 0.2.8 and report any issues. Also you can download the file if you want to have a closer look at how it works. Good game!

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I just merged the translation into the game.

Stark
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stark »

I am downloading 0.2.8 right now, i can check just the demo but I let u know what i think about the translation :)

Return to “Translations”