Load modules from directories without version

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Load modules from directories without version

Post by Zavian »

bobingabout wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:14 am
I'm using windows 7, I thought I made it clear I was using windows, why would unix/linux stuff be useful to me?
Because in general, *nix command-line tools are better/more useful/more fully featured than windows only tools. (Quite a few *nix commandline tools have windows ports. If you haven't used them before then there is a learning curve, but that is to be expected from any versatile but unfamiliar commandline command line toolkit).

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Zavian wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:44 am
bobingabout wrote:
I'm using windows 7, I thought I made it clear I was using windows, why would unix/linux stuff be useful to me?
Because in general, *nix command-line tools are better/more useful/more fully featured than windows only tools. (Quite a few *nix commandline tools have windows ports. If you haven't used them before then there is a learning curve, but that is to be expected from any versatile but unfamiliar commandline command line toolkit).
Because windows has a linux subsystem now. You can run native linux tools directly.

weaknespase
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by weaknespase »

mrvn wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:01 pm
Zavian wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:44 am
bobingabout wrote:
Because windows has a linux subsystem now. You can run native linux tools directly.
WSL available only for Windows 10.

I concocted little script to alleviate this issue for Windows users - it automatically creates symlinks in mods directory for all mods in the work tree. Installation is simple:
  1. Extract archive into Factorio folder.
  2. Create "worktree" directory in the mods folder. (Or run the script and create new mod template)
  3. Move/Copy mod folders to the "worktree" folder, don't forget to remove version from their names - it must match to the mod name.
  4. Run the script (run as administrator for Windows 7) and follow the hints to choose "Update versions".
To run update in non-interactive mode use "fmwt update", archive contains example script that updates mods directory and launches the game.
Script doesn't contain any destructive actions intentionally, you have to remove your mods manually.
fmwt.zip
(1.52 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Why mod folder must have the same name as mod archive? All players download archives and never unpack them. They are need only archive files with mask mod_name.0.0.1.zip, but inside can be just mod_name folder, or folder with any name, if inside of it is correct info.json file.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

darkfrei wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:11 am
Why mod folder must have the same name as mod archive? All players download archives and never unpack them. They are need only archive files with mask mod_name.0.0.1.zip, but inside can be just mod_name folder, or folder with any name, if inside of it is correct info.json file.
it used to be that for both directory and zip you only needed the mod name, version number was option. then they forced version number on both.

I'm perfectly fine with version number on zip file, it makes sense, but not so much for just a folder.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

darkfrei wrote:
They are need only archive files with mask mod_name.0.0.1.zip, but inside can be just mod_name folder, or folder with any name, if inside of it is correct info.json file.
That's already the case. This mod works just fine: Image
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Bilka wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:42 am
darkfrei wrote:
They are need only archive files with mask mod_name.0.0.1.zip, but inside can be just mod_name folder, or folder with any name, if inside of it is correct info.json file.
So if mod portal can take mod name and version from info.json, then it could also rename archive to adjust the mask name.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Bilka wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:42 am
darkfrei wrote:
That fails when you unzip the mod.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”