How many main bus lines do you generally use?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Rjskeet
Inserter
Inserter

How many main bus lines do you generally use?

Post by Rjskeet » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 am

How many main lines of base resources( copper
iron, steel, stone, coal and brick) do you use, I generally go with 4 lines of both copper and iron 2 lines of steel 1 of coal, and then stone/ brick usually get half a line on the same belt

astroshak
Inserter
Inserter

Re: How many main bus lines do you generally use?

Post by astroshak » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:44 am

Personally, I’ll run 8 lines of copper, 8 lines of iron, 2 lines of steel, and 1 line each for coal and stone.

I’ll also run one line of most everything else, except for red and green circuits, which get 2 and 4 (or more!) respectively.

Although maintaining proper spacing is more challenging this way, I try not to extend any lines unless I really need to. Extending lines unnecessarily can lead to merely wasted belts.

Rjskeet
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Rjskeet » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:55 am

Hmm I was doing 2 lines for green 1 each for blue and red and i also space my lines 4 spaces apart for all my fluids and a litter needs

astroshak
Inserter
Inserter

Post by astroshak » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:08 am

You’re allowed to do your bus as you see fit. I don’t make any two buses identical unless I’m following a blueprint for some starter base.

I do, however, start with yellow belts, so my busses are 4 belts wide, with two spaces between each set of four, to allow for undergrounds. If you want to use a wider separation between belts, feel free. That might just help when it comes to finding ways of getting different materials on different sides of belts that are next to one another in your factory.

Rjskeet
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Rjskeet » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:53 am

I ment it more like a general thing like if someone has a favorite setup they use it a cool to learn stuff from others like having 8 copper lines instead of just 4
astroshak wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:08 am
You’re allowed to do your bus as you see fit. I don’t make any two buses identical unless I’m following a blueprint for some starter base.

I do, however, start with yellow belts, so my busses are 4 belts wide, with two spaces between each set of four, to allow for undergrounds. If you want to use a wider separation between belts, feel free. That might just help when it comes to finding ways of getting different materials on different sides of belts that are next to one another in your factory.

MobRules
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MobRules » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:12 am

I've never been a fan of the central bus. Instead, I have a decentralized system where separate modular areas have inputs/outputs delivered/retrieved by train.

Trebor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trebor » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:14 am

astroshak wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:08 am
my busses are 4 belts wide, with two spaces between each set of four, to allow for undergrounds
I started out doing this but changed to three spaces to make routing a little easier.

Saemj
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Saemj » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:07 am

4 iron
4 copper
2 steel
1 batteries
1 plastic
1 coal
1 stone / stonebrick
4 green circuits
2 red circuits
2 blue circuits
1 lube
1 sulfuric acid

2 extra lanes for various

Serenity
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Serenity » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:18 pm

The 4 line meta comes from a time of fixed underground lengths and the need for even balancer sizes. Now red belt can span 6 tiles, which is pretty good for parts of the bus. And instead of rebalancing you can use priority splitters.

4 iron and 4 copper is fine. If you need more inject more material later instead of widening the bus. But for some other parts of the bus you can easily do 6 belts next to each other

I also do a fluid bus with at least water, lube, acid and petroleum.

Just don't put the metal for circuits on the main bus except at the start of the game. It needs so much that it should have dedicated lines. Green circuits for reds and blues also don't need to be on the main bus. Same with the plastic for red

CJ5Boss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CJ5Boss » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:40 pm

I usually go for KatherineOfSky's bus, especially in vanilla or slightly modified vanilla play, which is this:
4x Iron Plate
4x Copper Plate
2x Steel Plate
2xElectronic Circuit
2x Plastic
2x Advanced Circuit
2x Battery
1x Processing Unit
1x Coal
...and then some liquids, usually lubricant, varying depending on my factory's throughput needs.
"Artillery laser cannon shotgun uranium explosive turret tanks" would be the greatest thing ever.
You might try checking out my mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CJs_QoL_Research_Ver1

Amarula
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Amarula » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:44 pm

CJ5Boss wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:40 pm
I usually go for KatherineOfSky's bus
The bus design from KatherineOfSky (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =754378586) is a great place to start, to get an idea of how to make a main bus work. I also recommend her other guides, they are chock full of starting ideas.
And to really stretch your mind, take a look at some of the suggestions from Dry Hairy Tree here on the forums. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56448

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:54 pm

My current factory:
3 iron
2 copper
2 Electronic Circuits
1 Adv Circuit
1 Proc Units
1 Gears
1 Steel
1 Bricks
1 Coal

This supplies a seeder factory which constructs stuff for the rest of the factory - and has some small research going. It produces 4 belts of electronic circuits but 2 of those go to the proc units and adv circuits (ECs and gears allow you to compress a lot of resources). A fourth iron belt is diverted into the gearmakers. Plastic isn't used in structure construction so it's omitted from the main bus. Coal is terminated early at the black research cluster.

Return to “General discussion”