Acceleration starting Factorio for the usual play

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

regedit2000
Inserter
Inserter

Acceleration starting Factorio for the usual play

Post by regedit2000 »

TL; DR
Acceleration starting Factorio

what ?
Every time you start, Factorio rebuild the game data, which slows down the launch. Offer this data to save to a file (iso image) and rebuild only when necessary (when updating game/mods).
why ?
This will give the advantage of speed in direct downloading of data from the disk for the usual games and reduced waiting time.

regedit2000
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Acceleration starting Factorio for the usual play

Post by regedit2000 »

I meant not only actions with sprites, but a full cycle of compiling game data in a file: mods, scripts, sprites, sounds, etc.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

loading stuff from disk into RAM is most likely not noticeable faster and everytime you change any mod or startup setting we would need to throw it away.

regedit2000
Inserter
Inserter

Post by regedit2000 »

For vanilla, the difference in speed may not be felt. But if there are more than 90 mods ...
In addition, I use the constant configuration settings and mods for regular games and for me (and such as I) this option will increase the comfort of the game
After all, this is just a suggestion, not an indication (but a suggestion based on personal experience in programming)

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

According to this reddit post by a Factorio developer, it is not possible to save/load the entire Lua state.

Therefore, I'm afraid that what you suggestion is not possible, due to limitations in the Lua programming language.

regedit2000
Inserter
Inserter

Post by regedit2000 »

This is really a (maybe indirect action). It is only in efficiency. I admit that the benefit of this may be more cost and therefore propose to try the idea.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”