Allow train signals to provide access to changing train content

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

WIZ4
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Allow train signals to provide access to changing train content

Post by WIZ4 »

TL;DR
Allow train signals to provide access to change the contents of the train, and it is also possible to read its contents.

What ?
Since we already have the opportunity to turn on the red signal of the train signal according to the condition of the network, I also suggest adding a checkbox, which allows the inserters to load / unload items while the train is at train signal. And it is even possible to read the contents through the train signal, as it is implemented in the train station.
signal.jpg
signal.jpg (42.21 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
Train-load.gif
Train-load.gif (12.79 MiB) Viewed 1317 times
Why ?
At the moment we have only two ways to load long trains. To plase chests for unloading under each wagon:
Chests.jpg
Chests.jpg (265.47 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
Or to create many stations,but this way clutters up the list of stations:
Stations.jpg
Stations.jpg (490.27 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
Both of these methods I find terribly inconvenient
My native language is russian. Sorry if my messages are difficult to read.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Allow train signals to provide access to changing train content

Post by quyxkh »

You can also have "A" and "B" station names and alternate the entries.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

WIZ4 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:40 pm
And it is even possible to read the contents through the train signal, as it is implemented in the train station.
That part of your suggestion has already been suggested by me two years ago. In the folllowing thread, I suggested that track signals should be able to read the train ID and also all train contents:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47541 track signals should send Train-ID to circuit network

In my first post of that thread, I suggested that signals should be able to read the Train ID of a train. In my second post of that thread, I suggested that it should also be able to read train contents.

Therefore, my suggestion is identical to your suggestion, except that you are additionally proposing that there should be an option to allow inserters to interact with the train. This would make stations and signals very similar, if not identical (which may be a good thing).

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

Certainly not identical, but this would improve the usefulness of train signals by a good bit and open up new options. Ultimately, this boils down (in my mind) to a question of how much work would this be and I got no clue. It's useful, but not certain it's good with 1.0 looking to be soon.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Darinth wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:15 pm
Certainly not identical, but this would improve the usefulness of train signals by a good bit and open up new options.
By using the word "identical", I meant that stations would be just a special type of track signal, i.e. a signal with the additional property that they have a name and can be used as a destination in train orders.

This would also allow signals to be used as waypoints (places that trains pass through without stopping). That way, waypoints would also be a special type of track signal, similar to stations.

Waypoints has already been discussed in the following threads:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21831 Train waypoints
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37562 Train waypoint/(no)stop feature request
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59541 Train navigation checkpoint

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”