Friday Facts #274 - New fluid system 2

Regular reports on Factorio development.

rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #274 - New fluid system 2

Post by rldml »

Hello there,

what does the green and the blue column in the demo gif exactly means? And will there be an option to show these columns to get an easy way to identify bottlenecks and something like that?

Greetings, Ronny

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Dominik »

rldml wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:43 pm
what does the green and the blue column in the demo gif exactly means? And will there be an option to show these columns to get an easy way to identify bottlenecks and something like that?
It is the volume and speed - numbers you can find in the tooltip, but visible all at once this way. It is already available - go to debug settings ingame (f4) and check show-fluid-box-fluid-info.

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lubricus »

rldml wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:43 pm
Hello there,

Greetings, Ronny
It's in the debug options F4. And represent's amount and flow of fluids.

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lubricus »

I am happy that the new fluid mechanics works and have better performance :-)

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Awesome job guys!
I am glad to see TheYeast's model implemented in the game as I did consider it being the most appropriate during discussion.

But more to that, we can once more witness the greatness of Wube devs. I can not name any other dev team which would take so much from community and implement it in the game. This is totally outstanding example for all those rotten AAA teams on the market!

TreefrogGreaken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TreefrogGreaken »

Looking good!

That flow rate info, is that available to us modders? I can't see it in the preview on the Factorio API, unless im being blind.

My mod has to guess when offshore pumps are active which I get from calculating the flowrate of water from the Flow Statistics. Having the flow rate available for offshore pumps would be great as i then know exactly when offshore pumps are active. I've not been able to do this before as when fluidboxes max out I can't diretly calcuate the flow rate as the amount would always be 0. At least thats what I remember from my dealings with it awhile ago.

Lizzy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Lizzy »

Nice work! I'm really excited about playing the new version! :D

My first thought: oh nice that's convenient
My second thought: wait we now could safely run surface pipes side by side... we could press the rotate key to choose or something!

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

FFF#274 wrote: Once an empty fluid system (connected network of fluidboxes - pipes, crafting machines etc.) touches either a fluid or a fluid filter, the system is locked onto that fluid. It is then not possible to connect it to another system with a different fluid. There are quite a few actions which can result in merging systems, so each needed to be checked:

Setting a recipe with a fluid input/output
I'd like to know if the attempt to do this will jam the machine so the recipe can't be set, or will it set the recipe, but the fluid net will not connect to it? It's easy to imagine the latter with just the pipe cover not appearing on the machine and connecting it.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

featherwinglove wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:11 pm
FFF#274 wrote: Once an empty fluid system (connected network of fluidboxes - pipes, crafting machines etc.) touches either a fluid or a fluid filter, the system is locked onto that fluid. It is then not possible to connect it to another system with a different fluid. There are quite a few actions which can result in merging systems, so each needed to be checked:

I'd like to know if the attempt to do this will jam the machine so the recipe can't be set, or will it set the recipe, but the fluid net will not connect to it? It's easy to imagine the latter with just the pipe cover not appearing on the machine and connecting it.
You won't be able to set the recipe at all

akmotu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by akmotu »

The new fluid system looks great!

I must admit, I'm a little scared about the loss of the your macOS devs. I hope you find someone. If you don't, what does this mean for people like me who play Factorio on mac? Could the game go forward into 0.17 and beyond sans mac support? Or will the game not push forward without mac support?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

akmotu wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:16 pm
The new fluid system looks great!

I must admit, I'm a little scared about the loss of the your macOS devs. I hope you find someone. If you don't, what does this mean for people like me who play Factorio on mac? Could the game go forward into 0.17 and beyond sans mac support? Or will the game not push forward without mac support?
We have 2 developers who are familiar enough with the OS to maintain the build process and compatibility, but if any complex issues arise, it may be more difficult to fix them in an effective manner

rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rldml »

Dominik wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:54 pm
It is the volume and speed - numbers you can find in the tooltip, but visible all at once this way. It is already available - go to debug settings ingame (f4) and check show-fluid-box-fluid-info.
Thx to you and Lubricus for this (nice) info :)

@Wube: You're doing a great job!

Mday
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mday »

Cool update, guys!

Oh yeah, you guys definately have to add a scorpion now. As a background entity, creatable item, or a...err... tank or something.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Good luck going against Nier Automata in Most fun with a Machine.

I see a fluid source in these pictures, is that a hidden entity from 0.17 or does it already exist in 0.16?

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

Klonan wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:15 pm
featherwinglove wrote:

That seems like it'll cause problems: I'm thinking that if I can't set the recipe at all, what would happen if I were to rotate the machine, set the recipe while it's not connected, and then rotate the machine to attempt the connection? Will the game crash?

One of the setups I had come to imagine was a workshop machine (AM2 or similar) with three fluid interfaces in different directions, and one item interface direction in the fourth direction. If the recipe is not set, the fluid interface will be visible in absolutely no manner, and it becomes frustrating guesswork to figure out how to rotate the machine before setting the recipe. I can also see similar frustration if someone plunks down a chemical plant or refinery and the pipes leading up to or from it are backwards. Not being able to set the recipe would make it far harder to troubleshoot such a problem than it currently is - at least for inputs. A new player might even mistake this behaviour for a game breaking glitch and throw Factorio out in frustration.

AcolyteOfRocket
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AcolyteOfRocket »

Mday wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:40 pm
Cool update, guys!

Oh yeah, you guys definately have to add a scorpion now. As a background entity, creatable item, or a...err... tank or something.
Surely it should be a boss biter...

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Dominik »

featherwinglove wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:50 pm
Klonan wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:15 pm
featherwinglove wrote:

That seems like it'll cause problems: I'm thinking that if I can't set the recipe at all, what would happen if I were to rotate the machine, set the recipe while it's not connected, and then rotate the machine to attempt the connection? Will the game crash?

One of the setups I had come to imagine was a workshop machine (AM2 or similar) with three fluid interfaces in different directions, and one item interface direction in the fourth direction. If the recipe is not set, the fluid interface will be visible in absolutely no manner, and it becomes frustrating guesswork to figure out how to rotate the machine before setting the recipe. I can also see similar frustration if someone plunks down a chemical plant or refinery and the pipes leading up to or from it are backwards. Not being able to set the recipe would make it far harder to troubleshoot such a problem than it currently is - at least for inputs. A new player might even mistake this behaviour for a game breaking glitch and throw Factorio out in frustration.
You would not be able to rotate it back. Any such action attempt will give you a warning about the fluid mixing, so anyone should be able to figure it out. Even if it ends up confusing for somebody, it is still less confusing then the result would be previously.

King Karlos
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by King Karlos »

So about the Keys.... It would be better to buy your key since Steam takes a 30% share from that right ?

Psyramics
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Psyramics »

Will flow rate be available to the circuit network?

Return to “News”