Current content vs Final content

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
TearOfTheStar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Current content vs Final content

Post by TearOfTheStar »

Hello Factoriacs!

I have one question, mostly to dev team.

I tried demo (researched wiki and watched some LPs on yt) and liked it, but there is one (subjective) thing, that preventing me from buying Factorio right now.

Not so much content. Small ammount of ores, not so much gases and usefull liquids and buildings. There is basically just 3-4 tiers of all. Thats 20-30 hours of play for me. I just like it when you got TONS of resources and massive research trees, or even some technologies that prevent you from using other techs.

Will there be more of this in the final game or this is final layout?

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Current content vs Final content

Post by Neotix »

20-30 hours? My savegame have over 250h and still I want to build more.
For more content you have tones of mods.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

There's a roadmap here.

The demo doesn't fully portray what the game is about, most of us easily get 100h+ out of a single map, and quite a few of us have more than 1 map going at a time. Multiplayer is also coming which can easily add another 100h-200h of gameplay. There are also many mods that add more hours to the game. Add to it that this is also very early alpha, so a lot of things are most likely planned that do not appear on the roadmap. :)

If you enjoyed the demo you won't be disappointed by the full version.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

TearOfTheStar wrote:Thats 20-30 hours of play for me.
:lol: Trust me, its good for 100+ as it sits. Don't think it is? Try a hard mode spawn.

Its good for 50 when you just screw around trying to fix your designs :D The devs have more planned, can't wait to see what they come up with. I guarentee though, the more support the devs receive (in the form of cashy money, not hugs or online lip service) the better the end product will be. Personally, I think my $20 dollars is pretty well spent :D

TearOfTheStar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TearOfTheStar »

Thank you all for answers. :)

But my question was not about playtime. You can play tetris all your life, and really enjoy this. :D I'm interested in future content expansions, will there be more or not. Roadmap have couple of things about content expansions (oil, circuits, tanks), but nothing about main resources.

But FishSandwich has a good point about mods... 8-)

Kazuar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kazuar »

Trust me, the "one more improvement" effect, just as Civ's "one more turn" or XCOM's "one more mission" effect, will ensure you'll pour about 100 to 150 hours into the game before you've figured it out well enough to complete a session in 20 to 30 hours ;)

And, oh my god, the sheer number of mods.... the game hasn't even entered beta state, and I've already got more than my "money's worth" out of it. :)
[Note: I'm actually sorry if my posts come off as rude; english is not my native language, and I'm not aware of all it's nuances. Please do point out my misadoptions in tone!]

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

TearOfTheStar wrote:There is basically just 3-4 tiers of all.
Not sure I understand what you mean by tier, but one example of a multi tiered product would be the Advanced Circuit (ADV CKT). This is a mid game required product and requires the following development:
- FE ORE to FE PL to CKT to ADV CKT(4 tiers)
- CU ORE to CU PL to CU CABLE to CKT to ADV CKT (5 tiers)
- Without balancing, CRUDE to PETRO to PLASTIC to ADV CKT and with balancing, CRUDE to HEAVY to LIGHT to PETRO to PLASTIC to ADV CKT (6 tiers)

Many advanced products are built off of the ADV CKT that add even more tiers to the development.

The fill-in "final" goal, Rocket Defense, is another 4 tiers above ADV CKT.

Of course in my mind, the goal of the developers shouldn't be to produce mindless tiers to develop and research, but to create meaningful steps that the player must pursue to increase their creation. To me, this holds true right through until the production of modules. And, I look forward to the story changes that will keep the player focused to the end.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Yes I'm sure more things are planned, as it is only in Alpha and the devs are quite active. As for new ores or buildings, mods such as DyTech and/or F-Mod add all that. Such as more ores, more advanced versions of buildings like miners, solar panels, steam engines, upgraded belts etc...

So I would definitely say you could get your monies worth. As for more complicated research, I'm not sure that you really got the full picture with the demo. You would be surprised how long it takes, and how complex it can get trying to actually get to the end game goal of rocket defense.
Image Image Image

TearOfTheStar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TearOfTheStar »

Bought it. :D

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

TearOfTheStar wrote:Bought it. :D
Good man. Welcome to the community.

Calico
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Calico »

TearOfTheStar wrote:Bought it. :D
Welcome!

Also, like others stated: There are TONS of mods already. Some of them are H U G E. And well maintained... i don't think i've ever seen a a modding community that was going as much into extremes as in Factorio. In over 20 years of gaming, i might add. :D

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Yes welcome! I hope you enjoy the game, and if you any questions along the way, remember you can always ask them in the gameplay help area!
Image Image Image

TearOfTheStar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TearOfTheStar »

Enjoing it already. Very understandable and logical gameplay mechanics. ;) So no questions for now. :D

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

TearOfTheStar wrote:But FishSandwich has a good point about mods... 8-)
We already have some nice ones. I know F-mod adds some new resources. Dytech has a lot more machinery in it and can bring in more automation. Bob's mods popped up while I was on a break, but it looks like it adds about 10 new ores. They also seem to be fairly compatible with each other.

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

The main problem I see with the concept of content is that it almost always equates to hours in game play/time and that is a bad way to look at things. Furthermore a game can have 10,000 tiers and still be boring. Or it can have 10 tiers and be awesome. Or even 5 tiers and be awesome. The game certainly has enough to satisfy most people IF they are inclined to like the sort of game it is. If they aren't, then it really doesn't matter how much content comes they are still not going to be satisfied.

If you enjoy the basics of it from the demo, you will enjoy the game. Whether or not it is worth the purchase is another matter entirely and an entirely subjective one.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Well, 30+ hours of gameplay for U$16.5 is totally well worth it. And not to mention that's the BASIC 30 hours of gameplay, that means minimum amount of time. All my maps are around 3 days of gameplay.

Return to “General discussion”