Mining over multiple infinite resource entities - bug?

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Mining over multiple infinite resource entities - bug?

Post by H8UL »

So I have a query from a user with my mod, in which they point out the tool tip for an infinite resource seems wrong:
  • The resource takes 10 seconds to mine, so a single tile of the resource would report as 0.1/s to mine
  • When the miner entity covers multiple such tiles the tool tip shows a higher rate, e.g. 0.5/s.
  • However, the overall mining still operates at 0.1/s as best as I can tell.
I think it must be the tool tip that is wrong; as far as I know mining picks one tile randomly and mines it for a while, rather than mining all tiles simultaneously. Which is why on overlapping ores you'll get a lot of one resource before it switches to another.

I can't think of any way in which my mod would be "responsible" for the tool tip value. So maybe it's a bug in Factorio? Or maybe I misunderstood something because I'd be surprised in this wasn't noticed with Angel's infinite ores before now.

User's report: https://github.com/h8ul-modder/factorio ... /issues/15
Shameless mod plugging: Ribbon Maze

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mining over multiple infinite resource entities - bug?

Post by eradicator »

@Moderation: Move to bug reports?

Anything in the entity-info-panel on the right is entirely up to the engine, nothing you can do about it (except bug reports).
As far as i know angels has the infinite tiles randomly sprayed into normal ores, so it might simply be very uncommon to have a standard miner than can reach several of them at once?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

You can easily get a miner on top of fully infinite ore patch.
And I think even devs acknowledged that with infinite ores display of yield on miners is silly and has nothing to do with how it actually works.
It works with oil rigs since they only mine 1 resource node. And normal miner also mines only 1 node but calculation doesn't take that into account on infinite patches.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I don't know if I consider this worth changing. If anything I would just remove the per-second display when showing > 1 infinite resource since it's pretty much meaningless.

For now I'm going to move this to minor issues.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Minor issues”