Friday Facts #269 - Roadmap update & Transport belt perspective

Regular reports on Factorio development.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #269 - Roadmap update & Transport belt perspective

Post by ske »

I like those new belt sprites, I can already see where we could attach the motor that makes them move!
The result was, that if it all goes well, we could be done in 6-9 months. This is probably not something you wanted to hear.
Actually this is much better than expected. Thanks for sharing your roadmap. I now expect 1.0 to be released on christmas 2019 :D
Last edited by ske on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HammerPiano
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by HammerPiano »

Thank you for posting a roadmap! it looks awesome
The new belt graphics looks amazing, now we know that no hamsters are moving the belts :P
Now I wait for the new spliter graphics...
What about the spidertron?

chris13524
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by chris13524 »

Don't forget about spidertron!

MrFactorio
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MrFactorio »

HammerPiano wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:15 pm
What about the spidertron?
This.

And can we expect some new alien stuff? Some new aliens maybe? I would love to see some big alien snail crawling towards my base.

PsyberWolf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by PsyberWolf »

I am so loving the new update and can't wait for its release!!! Thanks for doing such a great job on our game!!! :D :mrgreen:

zebez
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zebez »

like most of us say, take ur fucking time. The game is great already.

neilon96
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by neilon96 »

These updates are one of the reasons I always point to you for exemplary community management.

Roadmap looks good too.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Please tell me you do something with the landfill's game soft-locking nature in sandbox servers with limited world size.
Last edited by Gergely on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Please don't forget Spidertron :)

The belts and underground hoods look so much better :)
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

bman212121
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bman212121 »

I like the new underground pieces and the notch that allows the entities to go onto the belts. I'm a bit more reserved about the rollers under the belts though. I definitely get the advantage of having them, it does add depth to an otherwise flat entity. I'd like to see them on a much more complex map to see if they feel like they clutter the screen. It looks like anything going north / south they are fairly hidden, but east / west they tend to stick out more.

The one thing that those pictures kind of point out is that the shadowing seems a bit weird. On the stand alone models I feel like it follows the rest of the entities in that the light is coming directly from the west. But on the map it kind of feels like the light comes from the south or south west depending upon what you're looking at. Nit picking I know, but when you're looking directly at it you start to notice it. I'd imagine it's not worth trying mess with, because it would require the entities to have different models for every rotation. But looking at other dynamic entities it's pretty clear that the train isn't consistent either. The train itself seems to be lit in a believable way, but then the fluid wagon is completely wrong. I'm sure the person who's been working on it is well aware though and there likely isn't a good way to make it all work without becoming more trouble than it's worth.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Man that's just the bees knees, well done. Adds so much to the immersion. Absolutely loving it.

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Termak »

Loving it! Keep up the Great Work! :ugeek:

POPISowyNumer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by POPISowyNumer »

Why does this new sign look weird?

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Although maybe the hole in the side of an undeground belt cover should be visible always, maybe even somehow made visually important? So that, as a new player, even if you don't attach a belt to it, you can look at it and think "hmm, does this mean that if I attach a belt to the side of this, only one half of the items will go through?" and then feel like a genius when that's exactly what happens.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

I never knew how "ugly" the old belts were until i saw these new magic pictures. Great job! I especially like the new "cute" underground entries.

There's still a few things i'd like to say:
  • The side-loading underground opening is just a tad too narrow and still looks like the items go through the walls a bit.
  • The "black bar" below splitters doesn't fit the higher belts and should probably be replaced with the same scaffolding style the belts have.
  • Inserters behind belt ends suddenly look a bit odd because their "legs" are obviously higher than the lower side of the belts.
  • Circular belts have a belt under-side flowing backwards for no reason! *shocking* :p
  • The belt-sideloading from "above" (near the furnaces) looks great, but i can already see it turning into penrose stairs :D
  • The bar for modding new belt graphics has been raised from it's previous position on Mt. Everest to lower earth orbit.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

eradicator wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:58 pm
I never knew how "ugly" the old belts were until i saw these new magic pictures. Great job! I especially like the new "cute" underground entries.

There's still a few things i'd like to say:
  • The side-loading underground opening is just a tad too narrow and still looks like the items go through the walls a bit.
  • The "black bar" below splitters doesn't fit the higher belts and should probably be replaced with the same scaffolding style the belts have.
  • Inserters behind belt ends suddenly look a bit odd because their "legs" are obviously higher than the lower side of the belts.
  • Circular belts have a belt under-side flowing backwards for no reason! *shocking* :p
  • The belt-sideloading from "above" (near the furnaces) looks great, but i can already see it turning into penrose stairs :D
  • The bar for modding new belt graphics has been raised from it's previous position on Mt. Everest to lower earth orbit.
Very good obesrvations. :)

Wakaba-chan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wakaba-chan »

New underground belt is awesome! It is very good it has a hole for side-loading! Now it much more intuitive.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Awww.... what is this?!
Factorio.PNG
Factorio.PNG (35.49 KiB) Viewed 19763 times
Last edited by Gergely on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “News”