The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post about Let's plays and streams.
FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post by FishSandwich »

This series has now ended. :) Link to the final save here.

Be forewarned: This is NOT and was never intended to be a SERIOUS series.

The Hydra Dilemma is a Cooperative playthrough of the Factorio game. Five YouTubers will take 20 minute turns and attempt to work together to finish the game and reach missile defense.

It will essentially be like a normal playthrough, but with each 'tuber taking turns posting their video of the playthrough. ie First 'tuber does the first 20 minutes of a save file, sends the save file to a second 'tuber who does the next 20 minutes then sends it to the next 'tuber who does the next 20 minutes, etc etc. until it goes back to the first 'tuber and the cycle continues, with the goal of making a huge base and getting to rocket defense.

However, there are certain rules:
NO PEEKING! Each 'tuber must go into an episode completely unaware of what was done beforehand, so we won't be watching episodes by other 'tubers prior to recording.(ie If I record an episode on monday, and my next turn is saturday, I won't be allowed to watch tuesday, wednesday, thursday or friday's episodes so will have no idea what to expect when I record on saturday.) So we spend some time of each episode trying to figure out what the last 'tuber was attempting to do, and continuing on from that(and maybe getting it wrong).
NO MAJOR CHANGES! We have to make do with what prior 'tubers were attempting, and build on from that. We can't destroy any builds, unless they become redundant(ie empty miners).
BE PRODUCTIVE! We won't deliberately try to screw over the next 'tuber by throwing a spanner into the works, although harmless fun will be allowed.
20 MINUTES AND YOU'RE UP! Even if we're in the middle of a major project, we have to stop at the 20 minute mark. Whatever is left will be handled by the next 'tuber.

The reason we are calling this The Hydra Dilemma is because we are 5 'tubers of different skills and building styles. Like a Hydra, we are many heads striving towards the same goal, although not necessarily in the same direction. :)

Below is a list of the contributors with links to their channels, in order of appearance:
FishSandwich
Infectum13
Xterminator
FKODgaming
Root Negative Gaming

We're all very excited about this playthrough, and hope that you'll all enjoy it! :)

First video is up!
Madness Begins! - Factorio - The Hydra Dilemma #1
Last edited by FishSandwich on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post by _aD »

I shall be waiting!

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

Ooh I'm looking forward to seeing this. Though I have to wonder if 20 min is enough time, specially for this type of content. The new 'tuber will have to do a lot of running around to see what changes were made and where they are in progression, plan next step, etc. But I guess we'll find out soon enough!

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

The first video just went public! Check it out! :)

Madness Begins! - Factorio - The Hydra Dilemma #1

Punter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Punter »

Looks like this should be interesting if not amusing for the spectator :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

http://youtu.be/9gwUyFdOjDI

Episode 2 - Rush building is now live!
Check out the madness that has already been created.

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

Punter wrote:Looks like this should be interesting if not amusing for the spectator :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:
Oh it's going to be crazy!

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

Turtle wrote:Ooh I'm looking forward to seeing this. Though I have to wonder if 20 min is enough time, specially for this type of content. The new 'tuber will have to do a lot of running around to see what changes were made and where they are in progression, plan next step, etc. But I guess we'll find out soon enough!
20 minutes is definitely a challenge. But it's super great fun!

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

May I be the first to apologise. I am such a terrible back seat player. It must be tough with such a short space of time, being thrust into someone else's work and the early game which - let's face it - we don't play often. I know all of this.

But I was still yelling at my monitor :-(

I am so sorry. Please, keep playing and keep recording! Don't listen to all those rude people telling you how to play.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

Well, after setting up
a production of 200 units of red science per second while defending the southern expanse with 15 empty turrets and 4 walls,

I think we're off to a great start! Please tell me the biters aren't set to peaceful :D Lots of fun - I'm enjoying the different approaches we've already seen with just two players.

Good idea starting the match with the mines and furnaces in place. Probably should have let all the players see the initial setup though. It would be a shame if one of the players didn't see something and created a redundant industry!

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

Oh I agree you are! But you know what it's like watching someone do something you do. They always do the wrong thing :-P

It'll be really interesting to see the priorities change when defence becomes mandatory!

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

http://youtu.be/96dhaiJfjus
Episode 3 is now live!
As the title of the video will say, I get quite confused by what others before me have done. Still a little unsure as to why they did what they did, but was a lot of fun. :D
Hope you all enjoy!
Image Image Image

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

I just recorded Episode 5. Lots of fun :D We're making pretty good progress at this stage. FKOD will post his video in the next 24 hours and then mine will come after that. :)

FKODgaming
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FKODgaming »

"Learning more good" (Ep 4) is now live here: http://youtu.be/heX81rYM9lY

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

To be honest, you're playing like it was yours first game. So many obvious mistakes, so messy and no planing :? I think only FishSandwich planed anything ;)
But it's fun. I can't wait to see what you will break in next episode :lol:

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

FKODgaming wrote:"Learning more good" (Ep 4) is now live here: http://youtu.be/heX81rYM9lY
Seeing as I've already recorded EP 5, I get to watch this episode. Favourite quote so far from FKOD: "that's a dumb way of doing things". I'm a bit more earthy with my descriptions :lol:

FKODgaming
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FKODgaming »

haha, i didn't mean any offense to anyone. Looking back at the episodes before mine, i kind of get why certain decisions were made. I assume the green science thing was just a brain fart, though.

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xecutor »

That was hilarious guys :)
Keep at it!
I feel that Infectum13 gonna be the source of chaos for you to wtf about :)
I'm glad that he is in the team ;)

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Xecutor wrote:I feel that Infectum13 gonna be the source of chaos for you to wtf about :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm glad that he is in the team ;)
So am I. I feel like we've got a pretty good mix. If we were all Factorio masters that only played in the same style, this will be as boring as. Because we're all different skill levels and different play styles I can foresee some real interesting moments.

Personally, I can't wait to see what Fish says when he realizes what i've done to him :mrgreen: . Episode 5 (my episode) will be up in a couple of hours, if you people haven't already, be sure to subscribe to each contributor so you get the update as soon as the next episode comes out.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Episode 5 is Live!

Check out my turn in the Hydra Dilemma!

Not for the faint of heart because I do a lot of swearing.

Return to “Videos”