Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
je11693
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by je11693 »

Hey guys, I'm really struggling to get my head around ratios and how many assemblers/furnaces/chemical plants/etc to use for different processes e.g. how many assemblers to use to produce engines, mining drills and blue science so that it is balanced. Are there any methods you guys found particularly helpful or caused a "lightbulb moment" where you understood how to calculate them correctly?

Also, I'm a little confused by something on the Factorio cheatsheet. In the "Science" section it says you need 5, 6 and 12 assemblers to produce red, green and blue science equally. However, in the "Common Ratios" section it says 10, 12 and 12 for red, green and blue. What am I misunderstanding?

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

je11693 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:18 pm
Hey guys, I'm really struggling to get my head around ratios and how many assemblers/furnaces/chemical plants/etc to use for different processes e.g. how many assemblers to use to produce engines, mining drills and blue science so that it is balanced. Are there any methods you guys found particularly helpful or caused a "lightbulb moment" where you understood how to calculate them correctly?

Also, I'm a little confused by something on the Factorio cheatsheet. In the "Science" section it says you need 5, 6 and 12 assemblers to produce red, green and blue science equally. However, in the "Common Ratios" section it says 10, 12 and 12 for red, green and blue. What am I misunderstanding?
Funny you ask this right now. I recently came across info about the Helmod mod. It is supposed to do just that and there are some tutorial about it. Or if you prefer to avoid mods altogether I recommend watching the Base in a Book tutorial series, it does a good job of explaining how he calculates the various ratios.

ViperJay
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ViperJay »

Is it possible to flip a blueprint over vertical line, and if so, what's the key binding for this?

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

ViperJay wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:48 pm
Is it possible to flip a blueprint over vertical line, and if so, what's the key binding for this?
You can rotate with R, I don't think you can flip/mirror but there might be a mod for that.

Greybeard_LXI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Greybeard_LXI »

ViperJay wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:48 pm
Flipping a blueprint does not work. Think about advanced oil processing. The water is always on one side and the input oil is on the other. If you flip the blueprint you will have the water pipe connected to the oil input. The outputs are also a problem.

ViperJay
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ViperJay »

Greybeard_LXI wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:53 pm
Flipping a blueprint does not work. Think about advanced oil processing. The water is always on one side and the input oil is on the other. If you flip the blueprint you will have the water pipe connected to the oil input. The outputs are also a problem.
I see. Thank you.

mcc1903
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mcc1903 »

Hi,
i checked reddit and forums and learned that only way to make all active requester chests to request from buffer chests is via a script which will change all requester chests one by one.
However even if that script exists i couldn't find it.

je11693
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by je11693 »

What calculator do you guys find most helpful? I'm looking for one that will calculate how many assembler machines are needed when making a component e.g. if I'm making military science and I want 1 per second, is there a calculator that can show how many assemblers I would need for the Piercing rounds magazine, the grenades, and the turrets? Or if I want 1 engine unit per second, how many iron gear wheel assemblers and how many pipe assemblers? etc. It would be even better if it was possible to toggle between different assembler machines (1, 2 or 3) and the ratio calculation gets updated automatically.

Wisey
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Wisey »

je11693 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:03 pm
What calculator do you guys find most helpful? I'm looking for one that will calculate how many assembler machines are needed when making a component e.g. if I'm making military science and I want 1 per second, is there a calculator that can show how many assemblers I would need for the Piercing rounds magazine, the grenades, and the turrets? Or if I want 1 engine unit per second, how many iron gear wheel assemblers and how many pipe assemblers? etc. It would be even better if it was possible to toggle between different assembler machines (1, 2 or 3) and the ratio calculation gets updated automatically.
I always use https://doomeer.com/factorio for that

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Wisey wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:46 pm
je11693 wrote:
I use doomer too, but Helmod looks popular for people who prefer to do it in-game.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

je11693
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by je11693 »

eradicator wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:56 pm
Wisey wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:46 pm
je11693 wrote:
I use doomer too, but Helmod looks popular for people who prefer to do it in-game.
I had a look at the Doomeer one. Let's say I want to know the number of assemblers for red circuits (i.e. 1 copper cable machine and 6 RC machines). I put "1" in the RC box in the calculator and checked the box for shared resources, but I don't see where it tells me the 1:6 ratio? I am probably misinterpreting it, but I'm not sure how.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

je11693 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:04 pm
I had a look at the Doomeer one. Let's say I want to know the number of assemblers for red circuits (i.e. 1 copper cable machine and 6 RC machines). I put "1" in the RC box in the calculator and checked the box for shared resources, but I don't see where it tells me the 1:6 ratio? I am probably misinterpreting it, but I'm not sure how.
The number you put into the box is the per second target production. Blue assemblers have a speed of 0.75, not 1.0. Also the "shared resource" setting is only useful if one of the sub-recipes is required several times, i.e. in this case you could set copper cables to shared.
ratio.png
ratio.png (52.89 KiB) Viewed 4841 times
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Wisey
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Wisey »

je11693 wrote:
Another quick example:
If put put an "a" in front of the number in the red circuit it will you how how many things need to be made to fill that many factories.
Example here with 6 red circuit factories marked already.
Also in the advanced settings you can change various things including speed & productivity bonuses

je11693
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by je11693 »

eradicator wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:57 pm
je11693 wrote:
The number you put into the box is the per second target production. Blue assemblers have a speed of 0.75, not 1.0. Also the "shared resource" setting is only useful if one of the sub-recipes is required several times, i.e. in this case you could set copper cables to shared.
ratio.png
Thanks, that's very helpful. Does that mean if I want 1 science pack per second I need to scale up the ratio if I'm using a blue assembler?

I was clicking the shared resources box because I was pulling some items like green circuits off the main bus rather than manufacturing them at the location I produce the red circuits.

je11693
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by je11693 »

How does one get an exoskeleton to work? I have inserted it into my power armour but I am not running any faster with it in there. I also have a personal roboport, battery 2, and nightvision goggles inserted. My construction bots are working ok, but the nightvision goggles aren't. In the bottom right of my screen is a battery bar but that is empty and unsure how to charge it.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Put 2 portable solar panels in your armor and go AFK for an hour to let them charge.

Then research portable fusion reactor for a real power source.

je11693
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by je11693 »

DaveMcW wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:06 pm
Put 2 portable solar panels in your armor and go AFK for an hour to let them charge.

Then research portable fusion reactor for a real power source.
AFK?

Have started researching the portable fusion reactor.

theolderbeholder
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by theolderbeholder »

A way
F rom
K eyboard

je11693
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter