Peace with Aliens

Give feedback on topics proposed by the developers.
DaBibo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Peace with Aliens

Post by DaBibo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:42 am

What about a system, basing on scents ?
Biters are like insects and many insects work with scents.

Like "getting hurt" drops agggressive and fear scents on the ground.
So they run away when getting hurt and take their aggression with them which leads to bigger biters.
Full kill a attack wave would be better for your base :)

By taking some items from the death / run away bitters you should be able to invent scent towers, scent remove bits, a scent view goggle, trail markers, ... to manipulate the scent system (leading them to a hard defended point, avoid trainlines and small stations, ...)

So flooding your base with a "friendly scent" could lead to a coexistence by keeping them a little bit drugged :)

Darinth
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Darinth » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:02 pm

There are lots of options. As one of those people who has generally preferred to create more eco-friendly bases, I like the idea of at least being able to be on neutral terms with the aliens still. If you didn't attack them and kept pollution levels low enough, they'd leave you alone.

The problem comes in that
A: Mining is inherently a very dirty activity. Even with the max 80% reduction on mining drills, biters still come and attack and you can still put out a lot of pollution from larger patches.

B: When they setup a base directly on top of an ore patch, you'd need some way to move them out of the way without attacking them. Maybe pheromones that can temporarily render them docile and some method of get them to move their nests.

Unfortunately, with the hope being that 0.17 will become 1.0, I doubt we'll get this before release and I have no clue what Wube's intentions are for long-term support of factorio post-release.

I do really like the potential for more extensive relationships as well. Assuming they're more animalistic (which seems to be the case), 'trade' doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But befriending them, and developing biotechnology based on their capabilities sounds like a whole lot of fun.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:07 pm

Darinth wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:02 pm
Unfortunately, with the hope being that 0.17 will become 1.0, I doubt we'll get this before release and I have no clue what Wube's intentions are for long-term support of factorio post-release.
I don't expect Wube to add much to the biters before or after release. For them, they are just a mechanic to sink some resources and make the player build defenses.
But you can always make a mod. Also, the scent idea has been implemented by Rampant already. Maybe, that mod could be extended to implement the biter drugging mechanic.

dx4
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by dx4 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:47 pm

The problem with aliens don't just remain at you producing pollution. Even if you literally produce 0 pollution you still are not safe, not even close. Why? Aliens like to expand on their own so eventually will expand right into your base. A variety of mechanics need to be introduces for friendly aliens to work. My view on this is as follows:

First, a player-alien relationship value going from let's say -100 to 100 with -100 being enemies, 0 neutral, 100 friendly. The relationship would deteriorate when killing them and when they absorb pollution, otherwise it would increase (given time). When neutral aliens could behave like the current "peaceful mode" settings.

Secondly, a definition of player territory, an easy way would be to define player territory by the revealed map from radars. While friendly the aliens should refrain from expanding on that area.

Taking into account how "friendly" you are with them they should be able to "sell" you territory, meaning removing their bases from player territory. This way the player should be able to expand their base without killing aliens and therefore greatly reducing his relation to them.

As for the trading, now that there are no alien artifacts (maybe re-introduce them to make it more interesting to interact with aliens) you can also introduce a friendly spawner. The player should be able to request from the aliens a spawner that won't produce any aliens but will help with pollution reduction since they absorb great amount of pollution.

Any request could cost relationship status (for example requesting a friendly spawner while having 100 relationship with aliens would reduce it to 70) or have a cooldown before being able to request something from them again.

AyleeJenn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AyleeJenn » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:08 am

oh wow, that is a really cool idea dx4 :shock: Requesting a spawner from the aliens to reduce pollutions once you achieved good relations feels like a very compelling concept for gameplay variety, provided that sort of route is added to the game at all in the end

Return to “Development Proposals”