[10.0.4] Crash on leaving logistic area

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Klakh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[10.0.4] Crash on leaving logistic area

Post by Klakh »

Hi,

I was playing along on my save :
- started on 10.2
- self-customized map
- no mods installed
- playing on 10.4 (experimental updates)

I noticed that when a logistic robot is following me to resupply something asked by a logistic slot, if I leave the logistic zone (orange zone) while he is still following me, at the moment I go from the orange to the green zone, the game crashes. No matter how much time I've been playing, it always does. I think that's the first version in which I notice this bug.
ADDED NOTE : When I tried to reproduce the bug for the screenshot taking, on the third "reproducing" of the bug, I got a different error message, which I've put on the second screenshot. When I clicked on OK, the same Windows message (as the one on the first screenshot) popped up.
EDIT : The same bug happened when I asked the construction robots to remove a roboport, which was still in another roboport's green zone. At the moment they took the roboport, it crashed.

Here are the direct screenshots links :
http://nsa33.casimages.com/img/2014/07/ ... 587584.png
http://nsa33.casimages.com/img/2014/07/ ... 486796.png

Specs :
RAM : 16Go DDR3 1600Hz
Resolution : 1920x1080 (fullscreen)
GPU : Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX580
CPU : Intel i7 2600K @ 3.40Ghz

Here it is, sorry for the night screenshots, I had a nice autosave for the bug to happen. Sorry for my rusty english too, for I am French ;D.
I think this bug is pretty annoying, since it crashes the game a lot if you're using logistic system. I'd rather not put my save on the web, but I will if really needed.

EDIT : The easy go-around I've found covering all occupied land with logistic area is not working, it still crashes at some point. As I don't see the whole logistic network, I can't see what causes it.
The other go around I've tried was clearing all the player logistic slots, but it still crashed at some point. I think it was when I was messing around with a blueprint though...
The actual less frustrating go around I've found is [Esc] > Quit > Exit... :'O

Thanks for reading ;)

Have a nice day !
Klakh
Last edited by Klakh on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [10.0.4] Crash on leaving logistic area

Post by Neotix »

It's kind of game breaking bug. It should be fixed as soon as possible without waiting for next version.
Every change in logistic network have high risk to crash the game.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=4992

I wonder if this game breaking bug will get a hotfix. It is essentially stopping us from using logistics, which is a major part of the game.. Yeah, you could go back to an earlier version, except now our saves are in 0.10.4 and are unloadable in earlier versions, so I have to wait 1 week+ to play my 180h save?

dazz500
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dazz500 »

Hi I have been experiencing very frequent crashes since 10.0.4 I didn't realise what it was at first but after reading this thread I tried it and it was the same for me - as soon as I leave the supply area with a supply bot following me the game crashes.

I guess if I don't request anything from the logistics network the game will still be playable for now. Not sure if it will be the same if I have construction bots following me ( i.e I am driving around in a damaged car )

kitsune9tails
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kitsune9tails »

Same problem here. Results include general crash, game freeze (with no windows error, just a freeze) and it even worked one time, although the game hiccuped for a moment before the logistics bot followed me, even though I was out of the logistics zone (no matter where I went, it kept following to deliver the items). That last part may be useful to figuring out the bug, I hope.

Ciao!

lost57
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lost57 »

Same here. .10.4 freezes on me :(

Specs :
RAM : 16Gb DDR3 1600Hz
Resolution : 1920x1080 (fullscreen)
GPU : GTX780 SLI
CPU : Intel i5 3750 @ 3.40Ghz

Workingman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Workingman »

Not sure if it's the robots but my game is unplayable atm due to cashes without any error message.

Started once i installed 10.0.4

Will make a try now and stop requesting things.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

FishSandwich wrote:https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=4992

I wonder if this game breaking bug will get a hotfix. It is essentially stopping us from using logistics, which is a major part of the game.. Yeah, you could go back to an earlier version, except now our saves are in 0.10.4 and are unloadable in earlier versions, so I have to wait 1 week+ to play my 180h save?
You're playing an alpha game and a new update to it at that. WHY.. aren't you making backups daily if not hourly?...

Un an unrelated note, I played for 8+ hours last night and had no crashes other than when I'd leave the logistics network while requesting something. Simply avoiding that and it didn't crash once. I'm playing with virtually all the mods by the way and haven't had any issues with them either.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Rseding91 wrote:
FishSandwich wrote:https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=4992

You're playing an alpha game and a new update to it at that. WHY.. aren't you making backups daily if not hourly?...
Even if I did that it wouldn't make my complaint invalid. There would still be others in the same situation.

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

Just in case a dev needs a save game, try this one and just walk to the right.

kitsune9tails
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kitsune9tails »

Rseding91 wrote:You're playing an alpha game and a new update to it at that. WHY.. aren't you making backups daily if not hourly?....
I just... I don't even... :? HOURLY backups of a video game? Seriously? It's not like a defense department project, you know :)

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

just give each manual save a new number? It's not hourly, but if you're a decent addict, it's daily ;)

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

This is what I do when manually saving. Doesn't everyone?

Kadaban
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kadaban »

Having the same problem with my game.
Since updating Factorio to 0.10.4 I crash once I leave the orange area of the logistics network. At first I thought it would be crashing as soon as new terrain was generated, but then I ran through a hole in my logistics network.
I REALLY hope we'll get a hotfix for this ASAP.

Xabi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Xabi »

Same problem here.
I started my task manager, before i reproduced the bug, to see whats going on. In that moment, the game chrashes, the factorio.exe filled my ram with 6GB (8GB max.). Normaly i have just ~1GB. My computer freezed but my hardiskdrives was writing all the time, i think that memory,that he couldnt save on my ram, he tried to save on harddisk, but it was going to be infinite. So i had to reset my computer manually. But sometimes just the factorio.exe freezes, not my complete computer.

Windows 7
AMD Phenom X4 (4x3,4GHz)
8GB RAM
Nvidea Geforce GTX 560 ti

shrek
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by shrek »

Xabi wrote:Same problem here.
I started my task manager, before i reproduced the bug, to see whats going on. In that moment, the game chrashes, the factorio.exe filled my ram with 6GB (8GB max.). Normaly i have just ~1GB. My computer freezed but my hardiskdrives was writing all the time, i think that memory,that he couldnt save on my ram, he tried to save on harddisk, but it was going to be infinite. So i had to reset my computer manually. But sometimes just the factorio.exe freezes, not my complete computer.

Windows 7
AMD Phenom X4 (4x3,4GHz)
8GB RAM
Nvidea Geforce GTX 560 ti
That's what happened to me too. My whole system started lagging immensely, then froze completely. Looks like a giant memory leak.

knaar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by knaar »

I am a software developer so I did some digging. This is what I found:

It is a segfault which means the game is trying to access memory that doesn't belong to it. Unfortunately nothing is logged in the game logs immediately before the segfault but I did find this in my linux system logs:

Code: Select all

factorio[7229]: segfault at 0 ip 000000000041db7f sp 00007fedbe6d6838 error 4 in factorio[400000+9b0000]
Error 4 means it's trying to do an instruction fetch. It's actually very, very, very bad bug if it's trying to execute code in memory that doesn't belong to it. That means probably a stack overflow bug. Once when factorio crashed it locked up my computer for a few seconds which probably means it managed to run some code it should not have been able to run and hopefully didn't corrupt anything. Stack overflows are pretty dangerous.

Anyway this bug is bad enough that it's really hard to play. I could just take down my logistic network since I just built it not long ago but I don't really want to. I just lowered the autosave time and try not to move around too much.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Also getting random segfaults, and more precisely - removing a roboport seems to trigger them quite reliably, although they sometimes occur regardless of logistic network interaction. I'm also on linux, 64 bit. If there is any info (gdb? strace?) which would be helpful I would be glad to provide it once you tell me how :)

sfrazer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sfrazer »

Another positive report here.

Also, I can make it crash with a "Bad Allocation" error by trying to place a new roboport outside my current logistics area.

zlosynus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zlosynus »

You can still play pretty normally with this bug, just save frequently and do not use logistic robots to deliver too much stuff. Currently I just wait till all my delivery requests are satisfied and then you can leave the base. Anyway, I hope it will get fixed soon, so I can update my robotic network.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”