Add easier way to set filters

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Add easier way to set filters

Post by Neotix »

Right now we have to click every slot and chose items in filter. It's really uncomfortable when we have to set hundreds of filter slots.
My proposition is to allow set filter slot by clicking cursor on slot with items which we want so set.
For example we take iron plate, Shift+MMB (holding) on slot, move cursor over all slots we want to set and release keys.
In that way we can fast set slots, even in chest if filter slots will be implemented into chest.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Add easier way to set filters

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

Copy entity settings works also on Smart Inserters and Aktiv Provider Chests if that helps you. When not in where do you want to set filters?

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Chests don't have filters. Only requester chest have request slots.
What I'm talking about are filters in all chest. For example set filter in Storage chest that accept 2 stack of iron plates, 2 stack of copper plates and 1 stack of steel plates. Bots will put in their chest only what is set. The same with any chest and inserters.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

What do you mean with "filter"? The filters of the smart inserters? Those of the wagons? Or of the hotbar?
Edit: ah, I see what you mean, but isn't that this: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =10#p37945
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

You can filter wagons?

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

@Sandro. Yes, we can set filter in wagons.
@ssilk. It's not the same. Filters in chest is not main part of my suggestion. My proposal is about setting filter in slots.
Look at that video from minecraft https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vma8T8Q4BW0#t=1m32s
Instead of putting 1 item in each slot like Minecraft, it could work do set filter. Just pick item, hold middle button and drag over slots.

JLBShecky
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by JLBShecky »

Neotix wrote:@Sandro. Yes, we can set filter in wagons.
@ssilk. It's not the same. Filters in chest is not main part of my suggestion. My proposal is about setting filter in slots.
Look at that video from minecraft https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vma8T8Q4BW0#t=1m32s
Instead of putting 1 item in each slot like Minecraft, it could work do set filter. Just pick item, hold middle button and drag over slots.
Being able to click drag things would be a real boon, you can already click and "drag" when placing entities in the world so it would fit in my opinion.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I don't think that it makes sense to set filters for every stack (stack, not slot) for every chest. You can have hundreds of chests. Thousands. It doesn't make sense to micromanage that, if you just can place another chest with another filter.

Do you have a use case for that? Maybe I just cannot imagine it...

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

We can have hundreds of smart inserters with hundreds of different settings and somehow it's not a problem. We can build enormous logistic system wired each pole, inserter and chest and it's still not a problem. Setting filters in each chest slot and copy entity also won't be a problem.
You're looking for a problem where it is not any.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I know that it is technically not a problem. :) I asked for the sense. Cause it makes no sense to request 48 different items for 48 stacks in a small area. :)

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Not request, filter. Setting what we or inserter can put into chest/wagon.
If we want to put into chest few different items and still control amount, we have to build enormous logistic system to do such simple task. When we would be able to set filter in chest we could set what we want in chest and how many. Just like in wagons. But clicking in each slot and setting all one by one would be nightmare. It's very uncomfortable with wagons. Thats why I proposed solution to make it easier.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”