Key to fill in ghost

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Nefrums
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Key to fill in ghost

Post by Nefrums »

I would like to press a key to fill in a ghost item under the cursor with a item from player inventory. Subject to the normal placement range etc.

This would make blueprints more useful in the early game (pre bots), especially if a new copy/paste feature where to be added.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Key to fill in ghost

Post by steinio »

Doesn't pressing Q over the ghost selects the item?
Just needs to be placed afterwards.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

steinio wrote:Doesn't pressing Q over the ghost selects the item?
And you can use autohotkey to make this a one button action.

That said, it would be nice to see in the game directly. And perhaps another to fill all ghosts in range that you have buildings for.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Cribbit wrote:
steinio wrote:Doesn't pressing Q over the ghost selects the item?
And you can use autohotkey to make this a one button action.

That said, it would be nice to see in the game directly. And perhaps another to fill all ghosts in range that you have buildings for.
That's called construction robots :P
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Nefrums
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nefrums »

I was hoping for a key to fill in the ghosts, so that you could hold it and drag over lots of different ghosts to fill in all.

Could be as simple as leftckick on a ghost

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I recommend the Bluebuild rewritten mod. It builds ghosts within reach when you are standing still at a steady rate.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Nefrums wrote:I was hoping for a key to fill in the ghosts, so that you could hold it and drag over lots of different ghosts to fill in all.

That's the entire purpose of construction robots. We aren't going to add a functionality to the game which just replaces them in an easier way.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Nefrums wrote:This would make blueprints more useful in the early game (pre bots), especially if a new copy/paste feature where to be added.
You are need this mod: Bluebuild

Nefrums
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nefrums »

Rseding91 wrote:
Nefrums wrote:I was hoping for a key to fill in the ghosts, so that you could hold it and drag over lots of different ghosts to fill in all.

That's the entire purpose of construction robots. We aren't going to add a functionality to the game which just replaces them in an easier way.

I understand your reluctance to add something that limits construction robots. I however disagree that a functionality like this would replace construction bots. Bots allow you to just place a blueprint and it will be built by the bots. That is quite much simpler than having to click each item in the blueprint. SO I do not believe that this would be able to replace construction bots.

Today you can do the same thing by pressing "q" -> "left click" -> "q" and then move to the next item while being careful to click the center of a multi tile items.

This is so cumbersome that it basically defeats any benefits of using blueprints, (or some new copy paste feature) for the first half of the game.

So my reason for posting this suggestion was not to replace construction bots the endgame, but rather to enable blueprints in the early game.

thedarkbunny
Inserter
Inserter

Post by thedarkbunny »

Simplest compromise I can think of would be to add "snap to ghost" as an option. Same behavior as now when it's off, automagically center the item in your hand over the nearest (to the cursor) ghost of the same type (respecting placement range and ghost rotation) when it's on.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

Bump.
I don't see how it will make bots less usefull. Bots build things much faster, in larger range, and with roboports - anywhere. But gameplay befor bots is sometimes painfull.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

leadraven wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:28 am
Bump.
I don't see how it will make bots less usefull. Bots build things much faster, in larger range, and with roboports - anywhere. But gameplay befor bots is sometimes painfull.
There's nothing to bump, we said no and moved this to won't implement.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”