Numbers precision (in production window) / Display 3 significant/relevant numbers / Full precision when hover numbers

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

AccidentalChef
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Numbers precision (in production window) / Display 3 significant/relevant numbers / Full precision when hover numbers

Post by AccidentalChef »

Production and consumption numbers in the production window should have a similar level of precision regardless of size. Looking at the window in my current game, I'm currently producing 676.1 advanced circuits per minute, and 1.0k solid fuel per minute. that's a huge difference in precision for numbers that aren't very far apart. I think the production window would be much more useful if every number had the same number of significant figures. For example, 1.03/m, 17.9/m, 232/m, 5.71k/m, 32.5k/m, etc.
Last edited by ssilk on Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed topic according to thread

CmdrKeen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Change when the game abbreviate numbers

Post by CmdrKeen »

I'd like to get the numbers 1000 to 9999 to display without an abbreviation. it doesn't make sense to use the same number of characters to display 9999 as 9.9k.
Attachments
4-digit-production-graph.jpg
4-digit-production-graph.jpg (18.73 KiB) Viewed 5122 times

Ingolifs
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Change when the game abbreviate numbers

Post by Ingolifs »

I would support three significant figures for all production numbers. I don't think there's much need for additional precision beyond that.

fregate84
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fregate84 »

8.4k is more clear for me than 8438

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

fregate84 wrote:8.4k is more clear for me than 8438
I agree. But I also agree with the original poster that there should be more significant digits.

Up to 999, the game displays the amount at a precision of 1. However, it then jumps to displaying the amount as 1.0k, at a precision of 100. In other words, if the game displays 1.0k, the actual amount could be anything between 1000 and 1099, which is a possible 10% difference.

I don't like this extreme drop in precision. I would like at least one more significant digit, so that it displays 1.03k instead of simply 1.0k.

Also, I believe that the displayed values should be rounded. As far as I can tell, this currently is not the case, as it displays 2.4k for the value 2489.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Tekky wrote:
I agree. But I also agree with the original poster that there should be more significant digits.

Up to 999, the game displays the amount at a precision of 1. However, it then jumps to displaying the amount as 1.0k, at a precision of 100. In other words, if the game displays 1.0k, the actual amount could be anything between 1000 and 1099, which is a possible 10% difference.

I don't like this extreme drop in precision. I would like at least one more significant digit, so that it displays 1.03k instead of simply 1.0k.

Also, I believe that the displayed values should be rounded. As far as I can tell, this currently is not the case, as it displays 2.4k for the value 2489.
Factorio rounds down since the late 0.14.1x versions.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

steinio wrote:Factorio rounds down since the late 0.14.1x versions.
By rounding I mean it should round to the nearest value instead of always rounding down. In other words, it should round the value 6.7 to 7 instead of to 6.

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

I think it would be even easier to read, and take one less step in my head when I need to do math, if the game just used scientific notation.
i.e.
  • 1.01 * 10^4 / s
  • 5.90 * 10^0 / s
  • etc
The decimal is always in the same place, and I'm either adding or subtracting 10s-units, or multiplying or dividing the in-front-number. (I don't remember the proper names for this stuff; I just know the math is stupidly easy compared to using only whole numbers or using Greek (Latin?) prefixes.)

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Tekky wrote:

+1

It really bothers me that you lose so much precision when 999 turns to 1000+, I'd really like that it would be displayed with two digits after the period, instead of one. I think that 1.03k is easier to read and comprehend than 1037, even if the text itself is a little bit longer.
Considering the OP which mentioned that 3317 is as readable as 8.4k, keep in mind that in most fonts (including the font Factorio uses) the decimal point is narrower than your average character. Additionally 8.4k can be easily split up by the brain to just say 8k to get a breakdown of the situation, but with 3317 you have to insert the thousands separator yourself to quantify the amount and that takes time.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I wish that if I hover over any number, that I can see the exact value in full precission. It doesn't need to be live updated in that mode.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Ingolifs wrote:I would support three significant figures for all production numbers. I don't think there's much need for additional precision beyond that.
When I was in college, everything was 4sigfig minimum. There were cases when we were dealing with 6sigfig.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

HL65536
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HL65536 »

How about making it a configurable option?
Everyone could adjust significant digits as they like.

Hexicube
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Always use 3 s.f. when showing shortened numbers

Post by Hexicube »

Currently it's a little inconsistent, it will show 3 s.f. if the abbreviation needs 100s and will show 2 s.f. otherwise.

This is what it currently looks like: https://i.imgur.com/Tq4Vnoi.png

"1.0k" "10k" "100k"

In order to squeeze enough space for this extra digit (since the decimal eats valuable real estate), I also propose that decimal values shown in this way are reduced to 80% size.
You can make use of the superscript ascii values: ¹²³⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹⁰

Having that third digit actually gives a lot more granularity without having to dig in and find out the exact value via displays, and it would be consistent with this change.

This is what I would like it to look like: https://i.imgur.com/4xQJ5mP.png

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Always use 3 s.f. when showing shortened numbers

Post by Tekky »

Related (but somewhat outdated) thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42894 Change when the game abbreviate numbers

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Rendering individual letters different sizes has a large amount of overhead and code complexity since each new letter size needs to be prepared as a font before it can be rendered. Meaning: different sized letters is not likely to ever happen.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Could you show exact number in small pop up window if player points number or icon?

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

On a very similar topic, I'd like to see 3 significant figures in all the production graphs. It annoys me when say 990/min increases to 1.0k/min, and I'm wondering whether I'm hitting my target of 1050/min or not.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

Zavian wrote:On a very similar topic, I'd like to see 3 significant figures in all the production graphs. It annoys me when say 990/min increases to 1.0k/min, and I'm wondering whether I'm hitting my target of 1050/min or not.
This sounds like it may be an opportunity to allow the player to choose. I am like you, I want to see exactly what is going on, but I suspect that not everyone wants that level ;-) How much work would it be to have an option to select how production figures are displayed? Maybe even let the player input the printf string?
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I don't see any reason to go beyond 3 significant figures in the production screen, certainly not enough to justify developer time on another option

The problem with 2 significant figures is that for a value of 1.0k, it's somewhere between 1000 and 1099. That is a 9.9% uncertainty. (9.999% if the value is averaged over time, or for production values of 1.0m). 10% is a large uncertainty. Moving to 3 significant figures always would make the max uncertainty 1%, which in my mind is good enough.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

i find the suggestion not good, its worser to see actually than the original... Oo

But i would suggest to make it like this:

1, 100, 1k, 10k, 100k

That would be consistent.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”