ID limit for tile prototype reached

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
PeteTheLich
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

ID limit for tile prototype reached

Post by PeteTheLich »

So when I started working on the More Floors! mod again it adds ~50 new tiles for floors.
This dialog pops up and when i go to place certain floors it's sort of random which ones function and which ones do not.

There are

many prototypes and I have no idea how i could combine the files or if that'd even make a difference.

How would I go about circumventing this without removing features?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: ID limit for tile prototype reached

Post by Rseding91 »

The game has a hard limit of 255 different tiles that can exist at the same time. If you have more than that it can't load. In 0.16 and previous the ID system had to do some work-arounds to support loading the game when you would add and remove tiles while at or near the limit.

In 0.17 you won't see that error anymore as I've re-worked how it handles loading removed IDs however the limit is still the same.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

PeteTheLich
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: ID limit for tile prototype reached

Post by PeteTheLich »

Rseding91 wrote:The game has a hard limit of 255 different tiles that can exist at the same time. If you have more than that it can't load. In 0.16 and previous the ID system had to do some work-arounds to support loading the game when you would add and remove tiles while at or near the limit.

In 0.17 you won't see that error anymore as I've re-worked how it handles loading removed IDs however the limit is still the same.
Ahh that makes sense. I have the Alien Biomes mod so it definitely hit that 255 cap. I might have to add that compatibility option into the mod description for the .16 version of the mod.

Yeah the tiles would just turn into regular dirt but they could still be made.

Well im glad you explained my issue! Cannot wait for that .17 update going to be the best one yet!

Return to “Modding help”