[Poll] Battery design that stabilizes 0.16.51

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

Should the battery design stay the way it is in 0.15.51?

Yes, I like the current one better than the previous one.
26%
No, I admit I liked the previous design better. (Maybe come up with something similar.)
39%
No, come up with something different and possibly unique to Factorio.
34%

Total votes: 76

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Poll] Battery design that stabilizes 0.16.51

Post by zOldBulldog »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Oktokolo wrote:
zOldBulldog wrote:Any chance you can get it blessed by the devs so that Factorio won't disable achievements when running your mod?
Not sure how to achieve that. Are there any mods wich are not counted against achievements already?
No.
Bummer. Mods like his have zero chance to "give an advantage". They really ought to get an exemption... but I realize that would require code changes.

Maybe sometime in the future (even far future) we'll see "blessed as innocuous" mods that don't disable achievements?

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

zOldBulldog wrote:Bummer. Mods like his have zero chance to "give an advantage". They really ought to get an exemption... but I realize that would require code changes.
Maybe you could make mines more visible in multiplayer with image changes only. So probably someone would have to check mods requesting innocence status manually. But yes, there could be a process for getting a mod version marked by the devs. Maybe gated by a minimum download count and/or age requirement.
On the other hand, you still get achievements displayed ingame. So might be better to invest precious Wube team time into more mod APIs instead... ;)

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Especially since achievements are already separated into unmodded and modded game :
factorio_achievements.PNG
factorio_achievements.PNG (48.73 KiB) Viewed 5798 times
And there even are mods that add new achievements !
https://mods.factorio.com/query/achievements
(for popular mods for instance)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Szpak
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Szpak »

Gergely wrote: ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
This.

Could be even monocolor with a black lightning. Doesn't matter. But it has got to be intuitive like previous one.
Even with large zoom-out you should easily distinguish every component on a belt. New battery icon is just to similar to already existing ones..

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:
Oktokolo wrote:
zOldBulldog wrote:Any chance you can get it blessed by the devs so that Factorio won't disable achievements when running your mod?
Not sure how to achieve that. Are there any mods wich are not counted against achievements already?
No.
Bummer. Mods like his have zero chance to "give an advantage". They really ought to get an exemption... but I realize that would require code changes.

Maybe sometime in the future (even far future) we'll see "blessed as innocuous" mods that don't disable achievements?
Actually there are. See my signature.

(Well, sort of... the game can detect SOME mods that don't change anything and keep achievements enabled. I read that somewhere in one of the FFF posts but I don't remember. It's also not stated anywhere in the mod itself that it wants to keep achievements.)

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Gergely wrote:Actually there are. See my signature.

(Well, sort of... the game can detect SOME mods that don't change anything and keep achievements enabled. I read that somewhere in one of the FFF posts but I don't remember. It's also not stated anywhere in the mod itself that it wants to keep achievements.)
The detection logic is quite clear: if (data.lua or control.lua) then disable_achievements(). And that's it.
Scenarios don't have either. Do you get steam achievements when playing arbitrary scenarios like that?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

eradicator wrote:
Gergely wrote:Actually there are. See my signature.

The detection logic is quite clear: if (data.lua or control.lua) then disable_achievements(). And that's it.
Scenarios don't have either. Do you get steam achievements when playing arbitrary scenarios like that?
Where is it written?

Yeah... you are right, achievements are freeplay only.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

eradicator wrote:The detection logic is quite clear: if (data.lua or control.lua) then disable_achievements(). And that's it.
So the code doesn't care about data-final-fixes.lua?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Oktokolo wrote:
eradicator wrote:The detection logic is quite clear: if (data.lua or control.lua) then disable_achievements(). And that's it.
That was short for data-anything.lua.
And i don't know where that is officially documented.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

eradicator wrote:
Oktokolo wrote:
I think they only mentioned it in one of the FFF posts. Please reply only if you have found it. Don't derail the topic any further.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Gergely wrote:
eradicator wrote:
Oktokolo wrote:
I think they only mentioned it in one of the FFF posts. Please reply only if you have found it. Don't derail the topic any further.
The mentioned FFF most likely is #227 - Rendering, Trees & Scenario talk (relevant Section is "Scenarios as mods"). It defines, that non-game-changing mods are detected by only containing locale data, campaigns and scenarios. It also mentions, that these mods do not have to be in sync for multiplayer to work.
But Bilka stated, that this does not affect achievements.
So there currently is no way to change an icon by mod and still get Steam achievements.
Whether overwriting the original icon in data/base/graphics/icons works, would have to be tested by someone owning the Steam version (got mine from GoG).

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Oktokolo wrote:So there currently is no way to change an icon by mod and still get Steam achievements.
Whether overwriting the original icon in data/base/graphics/icons works, would have to be tested by someone owning the Steam version (got mine from GoG).
Yes. That will work. Same as manually injecting a new control.lua into an existing savegame.zip does not disable achievements. There's no point in bothering to try and add checks for every possible way people try to get achievements. Just let them have their fun.
Gergely wrote:I think they only mentioned it in one of the FFF posts. Please reply only if you have found it. Don't derail the topic any further.
I imagine most experienced modders can tell this from experience without looking at FFFs. And you can always try yourself ;).

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Szpak wrote:
Gergely wrote: ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
This.

Could be even monocolor with a black lightning. Doesn't matter. But it has got to be intuitive like previous one.
Even with large zoom-out you should easily distinguish every component on a belt. New battery icon is just to similar to already existing ones..
Today, I went a little insane and made this mod.

Please don't attack me violently, I did give credit where credit is definitely NOT due.

Szpak
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Szpak »

Gergely wrote:Today, I went a little insane and made this mod.

Please don't attack me violently, I did give credit where credit is definitely NOT due.
Nice job Gergely!
My personal favorites are cyan, magenta or yellow ;) Green/red/blue are to similar to chips.
I'd opt for yellow. Only other yellow material is sulfur and it is common knowledge that you shouldn't put sulfur on a belt ;)

4xel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by 4xel »

For me, it was very weird to build 5.0 MJ accumulators in the desert with a bunch of self built yet branded non rechargeable AA batteries, so the old icon was a big turn off.

The new model being slightly less simplistic, I can remotely imagine it's something aking to a car battery or bigger, with wires hanging or attached to the sides, and LEDs indicating current power levels. So even if the new model is slightly more aggressive to the eye, I like it a lot, and used to hate the old one.

I think mostly the color need to be chaged a bit to make the new icon beautiful.

Now apparently there are simple looking cylindrical supercapacitor, so I'd be ok with a simple cylindrical battery, maybe a blue one, to match our intuition of a battery, while not being completely ridiculous about our intuition of a car battery or of a capacitor.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

4xel wrote:So even if the new model is slightly more aggressive to the eye, I like it a lot, and used to hate the old one.
If you like the new model but want less detail, try my mod.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Oktokolo wrote:
4xel wrote:So even if the new model is slightly more aggressive to the eye, I like it a lot, and used to hate the old one.
If you like the new model but want less detail, try my mod.
Whoa! Now I am working on integrating this into my own, so that whenever yours is present, it appears as a "clean" option in the menu.

EDIT: Version 0.1.2 now supports it.
Last edited by Gergely on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Rizzano
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Rizzano »

I voted for a new design. I don't like the old one, and I don't particularly care for the new one.

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

Wait what? This is discussion is a thing???

The previous battery looked absolutely awful and out of place. Like taken straight from a sales catalog.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Escadin wrote:Wait what? This is discussion is a thing???

The previous battery looked absolutely awful and out of place. Like taken straight from a sales catalog.
Oh really? Almost every game that has some sort of batteries in it uses the very same design the Factorio developers had to change for mysterious reasons. How the hell was it out of place?
Take a look
I highly dislike the one they currently have... I mean just look at it:
Attachment list

Return to “General discussion”