Frequently Suggested Ideas

These are only lists of links to other suggestions!
First, do a search for if your idea has been already suggested.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Khyron
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Frequently Suggested Ideas

Post by Khyron »

The purpose of this thread is to make an index of frequently suggested ideas and/or ideas that are widely endorsed. Hopefully that is useful in reducing the number of duplicate suggestion threads which tend to flood the ideas & suggestions sub-forum. I also hope the devs find it useful to browse through and we might be able to capture the responses and opinions devs have on some of these topics.

Please feel free to leave a comment below if you think something belongs on this list. It would help me if you can include any links you feel are relevant. I'll add them to this post and apply some structure & formatting so that it's easy to find and see what's going on. For clarity, I'm looking for entire threads dedicated to one topic (as per the instructions "1. One suggestion per post!") rather than posts where a bunch of suggestions are made in one go.

Game objects & content
Electricity
Oil, Wind, Nuclear Development proposal, idea

Train related
Tunnels & bridges (building a bridge) idea, request, request, request
Carriages (tanker, logistics, gun etc) idea
Stops, loading & unloading idea
Train stop timer: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=5674
Electric trains: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=3463 https://forums.factorio.com/forum/sea ... ains&fid=6
Pre-signals: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/sea ... nals&fid=6

Water related
See also: Train related - Tunnels & bridges
Converting water tiles to land tiles, water crossing stuff: idea, request, request
Ships & Boats request, request, request, request

Valves idea, idea, idea, developer response

Lamp on poles
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ight+poles

Recycling
Threads about dissassembling, recycling, using waste etc.
This will not be implemented, cause the number of items which may be useful to recycle vs. the number you produce is so small, that the overhead eats all advantages.
There are some mods, which implement different kinds of recycling/disposal!

Research
Progress visualization https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=4202

Chemical plants / Fluid handling
Swap input on chemical factory

Weapon related
Visual Laser Range Interface

User interface & controls

That's all I have time for now. More to come....
Last edited by Khyron on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:13 am, edited 9 times in total.

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: FREQUENLY SUGGESTED IDEAS

Post by Artman40 »

Smart splitters are suggested to death. Developer commented on it.

Khyron
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khyron »

Thanks, updated.

One of the difficulties I'm having with this is many posts contain multiple ideas. That makes it unsuitable to link from here. It also really, really helps if the first post in an idea thread is updated with any results of the discussion that follows, along with a clear and concise description of what is being proposed and why (state problem; solution).

I'm quickly finding the forum's advanced search tool is actually very powerful.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Khyron wrote: I'm quickly finding the forum's advanced search tool is actually very powerful.
Protip: the thread number is found in the URL ("&t=xxx"). When an article contains a link to this article, it contains that thread-number and can be searched. In most cases I get good results when I search, if this article has been mentioned anywhere else. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

Are there any shortcut key suggestions, too?

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Modular Vehicles?

Both Module armor type modules, and power armor type modules.

preferably sharing both module types, albiet with filters to avoid invalid modules.

Thinking Laser/shielded train, or hasted. Same with Car, and then the future tank I think we will be getting eventually.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Khyron
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khyron »

Hey all, just a brief post to explain that I've been away visiting family in the country for a few days and just started a new job today. But I'm back and I'm still watching Factorio's development. While I was away I hooked a few old school friends on this game. It was amusing watching them cope with messy factory layouts :D
Artman40 wrote:Are there any shortcut key suggestions, too?
I'm not sure, I haven't seen any. Were there some that you think should be mentioned?
Ranakastrasz wrote:Modular Vehicles?

Both Module armor type modules, and power armor type modules.

preferably sharing both module types, albiet with filters to avoid invalid modules.

Thinking Laser/shielded train, or hasted. Same with Car, and then the future tank I think we will be getting eventually.
Are you writing this as an original idea or are you suggesting people have already made this suggestion and I should include it in the post above? If it's an original suggestion, you should flesh out the idea more and post a new thread about it. If you've searched and found other people have already requested that kind of stuff a bunch of times, you could help me out by including those links in your post and then I'll know where to look.

I'll clean up my original post to make it clearer what this thread is about.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think this list is quite useful.

If we combine that with this idea https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=4924
it should be much easier to maintain in the end.

dakenho
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: FREQUENTLY SUGGESTED IDEAS

Post by dakenho »

a planning mode would be nice, often times i find my self making little mistakes on my layouts and plans and it would be nice if i could plan it out in advance.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think this brings it all about planing together: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=4682

And please: This if you want to make suggestions don't add them to this thread!

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

So, you say that this thread is both for frequent suggestions, and widely endorsed suggestions. Thus on the subject of an idea that, while hardly a frequent suggestion, did seem to be well liked would Large Bridge Cranes fit into this thread?
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

Are there any commonly suggested shortcuts, hotkeys and other convenience features?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

No, but a lot of discussion about the ALT-key, the escape and e-key, using mouse instead of wasd, more possibilities to move items between stacks, sorting key for the inventory, the keys for console command ... maybe I forgot some. There is nothing about pausing the game or so, there is no general discussion about changing keyboard bindings.

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

Hi, can we update the suggestion list please? I search a lot, and find lot of interesting ideas :)
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Just add what you mean that it is useful and I will put it into the first post. Thank you. :)

Khyron
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khyron »

ssilk has done at least half the work in the original post at this point. Just wanted to say thanks!

I think the thread is doing what we wanted at the time we created it - it's stopping the same thing being suggested once per week. Remember when we created it, we would see 2 or 3 suggestions for splitters on the first pager of ideas & suggestions? That kind of thing is history now.

Even still there are ideas that get repeated but at least it's down to a manageable level. I'm weary of adding more to the first post because it starts to become unreadable, and the less frequently suggested ideas can become less relevant as the new major versions are released and the game gets closer to completion.

But if anybody wants to bring my or ssilk's attention to something that should be added to the list, please let us know here!

Joefesok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Joefesok »

Quick question- Have steam engines been proposed enough to be moved here, if at all?

Which is to say, differentiate between three different types of trains- the semi-frequent electric trains, Steam Engines (using solid fuel and water, and some kind of fuel inserter) and Diesel Trains (using petrol to run the train.)

Also, I think there should be some form of train balance megathread discussing theories for different types of trains and how the existing train system can be rebalanced.

Also, unrelated to trains, has integrated currency for multiplayer servers been suggested before?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, a lot of discussions. Many ideas around new vehicles. viewtopic.php?f=80&t=17734 New types of vehicles (train, tank, car, plane, ship...)
Many discussions around new types of steam engines and a circular water-flow model (steam-engines don't use the water anymore, it must be cooled down before).

You need also to know, that steam-engines currently use just hot water. There is no steam-model about that here.
You can search for steam engines, steam or hot water, energy, uranium, circle,

I put that subject into my todo-list. But the list is very long.

ChickenFuzzNuts
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Frequently Suggested Ideas

Post by ChickenFuzzNuts »

there should be a boss somewhere random in the world, something like a queen alien or king maybe as no one really knows where the aliens came from as we all know its their home planet but there's no real context on how they where formed on the planet

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Frequently Suggested Ideas

Post by seronis »

ChickenFuzzNuts wrote:there should be a boss somewhere random in the world, something like a queen alien or king maybe as no one really knows where the aliens came from as we all know its their home planet but there's no real context on how they where formed on the planet
were* formed.

where = location not tense

Return to “Frequently Suggested / Link Collections”