Lower ore in the 0.16?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Lower ore in the 0.16?

Post by coppercoil »

Have you noticed the resources are lower in the 0.16 when comparing to 0.15?

I have built 1 RPM base on 0.15, so I have mined lots of ore fields. I started a new game on 0.16 with the same ore settings: very low frequency, very big, very rich. I explored the surroundings and found a few ore fields. Here’s two maps, 0.15 on the left and 0.16 on the right. The iron is highlighted as blue, copper as orange and oil as violet.
Two maps
Two maps
Map2ABS.png (1.62 MiB) Viewed 1359 times
The difference is obvious. The copper is low, the oil is even lower. It seems 0.16 will be harder game, and I’m not sure if I like it. Or maybe it’s a just an unlucky map seed number?

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Lower ore in the 0.16?

Post by zOldBulldog »

Yes, resources are lower. You can still get decent deposits, but it sure is not easy to figure out the correct settings.

Some things I know are important:

- Choose low frequency to avoid having deposits scattered into little pieces.
- Stick to a minimum of water, ores appear to be assigned before water, so the more water the less ores.
- Don't ask for a lot of the ores you don't need as much. For example stick to not so much coal and uranium.
- Avoid cliffs, they break things up but in their current form (too scattered) they fail to serve as nice defensible walls. In other words, the current flavor is more of a nuisance than help.
- Ask for maximum size and richness of iron, copper and plenty but not too much stone.
- Play with preview. Once you see the right amounts of the ores you want, keep regenerating with the same settings until you get a distribution you like.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

zOldBulldog wrote:Yes, resources are lower. You can still get decent deposits, but it sure is not easy to figure out the correct settings.

Some things I know are important:

- Choose low frequency to avoid having deposits scattered into little pieces.
- Stick to a minimum of water, ores appear to be assigned before water, so the more water the less ores.
- Don't ask for a lot of the ores you don't need as much. For example stick to not so much coal and uranium.
- Avoid cliffs, they break things up but in their current form (too scattered) they fail to serve as nice defensible walls. In other words, the current flavor is more of a nuisance than help.
- Ask for maximum size and richness of iron, copper and plenty but not too much stone.
- Play with preview. Once you see the right amounts of the ores you want, keep regenerating with the same settings until you get a distribution you like.
Well the map on the right looks like an illustration of the settings you're recommanding :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Koub wrote:Well the map on the right looks like an illustration of the settings you're recommanding :)
This is an 0.16 example with those settings. The rail lines are roughly at the edge between the starter area and the biter area. The screenshot was taken roughly fairly close to completing Yellow research and right after I built the rail lines while doing an artillery "cleanup" run, but before full scale-up and before all of the rocket assemblies. Although it probably makes no difference, this is my Lazy Bastard run currently in progress.

Doesn't look all that bad to me. What was a royal pain was to figure out those settings. Before I found these settings I would have agreed with you that 0.16 resources were low (my previous map I had to build trains way earlier).
resources.jpg
resources.jpg (124.2 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
In case you want it, here is the map exchange string:

Code: Select all

>>>eNpjYBBgMGZgYGBm5mFJzk/MYWZm5UrOLyhILdLNL0plZWXlTC4q
TUnVzc/MYWFmZUtJLU4tKmFmYGZJyQTTXKl5qbmVukmJxanMzIys6UW
JxcXMrMwcmUX5eVATWIoT81KASlmLS/LzgKpYWUuKUlOLmRhZuUuLEv
MyS3NBChlZWBkYM15d/t/QIscAwv/rGQz+/wdhIOsC0IkgDASsjIxAA
RhgTc7JTEtjYGhwYWBQcGRkYKwWWef+sGqKPSNEXs8ByvgAFYnYDRV5
0AplRKyGMjoOQxkO82GMehij34HRGAw+2yMYELtKgCZDLeFwQDAgki1
gScbet1sXfD92wY7xz8qPl3yTEuwZM2VDfQVK39sBJdmBGhiZ4MSsmS
CwE+YDBpiZD+yhUjftGc+eAYE39oysIB0iIMLBAkgc8GZmYBTgA7IW9