[MOD 0.12.x] Compression Chests: virtually unlimited storage

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

[MOD 0.12.x] Compression Chests: virtually unlimited storage

Post by Rseding91 »

This mod adds a new chest: the Compression Chest.

Any comments/questions - feel free to post. I love to hear any feedback (good or bad) :)

Information:
  • Stores a virtually unlimited number of one item type
  • Chest only has one slot
  • Takes power to insert and remove items from the chest (configurable at the top of control.lua if you think it's too powerful as is)
  • Power is provided by the Compression Power Pole - it has a 5x5 range centered on the pole
  • Multiple chests can be hooked up to multiple power poles
  • To get the number of items stored in a Compression Chest: mine it
  • To fill your inventory with the items it has stored: mine it while holding the item type it's storing
  • The chests can't compress items with a stack size of < 3
  • The chests will maintain 2/3rds of a stack of the item type in the one slot
Research:
  • Chest unlocks with Logistics 3 - if loading the mod into an existing game with Logistics 3 done: load, save, load to unlock
  • Adds new research: Compression chest mover - hold while mining to move a compression chest 1 tile closer to your player
  • Adds new research (DISABLED BY DEFAULT - see control.lua to enable): Pickup compression chest 1-5: Allows you to pick up 1-5 compression chests contents and all - hold the compression chest mover while mining to pick one up
Mod compatibility:
  • If you have the "Terminal Chests" mod installed a Compression Chest directly adjacent to a Terminal Chest will draw contents from the Terminal Chest - note, you have to first set the chest content type by putting the item you want to store in the chest before it will start pulling from connected Terminal Chests
Performance - heavily optimized:
  • Chests without a power source skip all special code logic and act like simple 1 slot chests
  • Chests detect power poles on placement so there's no extra checking done to find valid power sources
  • Chests detect Compression Chests on placement so there's no extra checking done to find valid chests
  • Power poles detect near by chests on placement and add themselves to the chests valid power sources so there's no extra checking done to find valid chests
  • Power poles don't tick (in the mod script) so spamming them should have close to zero impact on the game
  • Chests with power sources that don't have any available power skip compression/decompression code logic
  • Putting the wrong item in the input slot of a chest with internally stored content will cause the chest to skip special code logic for an extended period of time
  • Putting a item in the chest that can't be compressed (< 3 stack items) will cause the chest to skip special code logic for an extended period of time
  • Chests that haven't done any special code logic over the last few attempts will enter an inactive state
  • Chests that do special code logic will leave the inactive state

Current version: 1.3.8

Download [0.12]:
Compression Chests_1.3.8.zip
(50.57 KiB) Downloaded 3552 times
Changelog:

Code: Select all

1.3.8: updated for Factorio 0.12.11
1.3.7: updated for Factorio 0.12.0
1.3.6: fixed loading saves after removing other mod items that where "compressed" in chests
1.3.5: fixed desync issue in MP
1.3.4: fixed localized print dialogs error
1.3.3: 0.11 compatible
1.3.2: fixed the chest and power pole to be owned by the player so they'll show up blue on the minimap
1.3: fixed several bugs related to moving the chest and interaction with Terminal Chests
1.2: disabled the "pickup compression chest" research and functionality by default - it outmodes trains completely - if you want it enabled see control.lua
     fixed the power indication messages when moving/mining chests with contents
     fixed the stored counter to count the items in the 1 slot
     fixed missing file errors for Linux users
1.1: fixed chest getting deleted when trying to pick it up and your inventory is full
1.0: initial release
Last edited by Rseding91 on Wed May 27, 2015 3:24 am, edited 22 times in total.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.10.x] Compression Chests: virtually unlimited sto

Post by Airat9000 »

:D screen

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

realy good work

buder5
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by buder5 »

can have little tutorial ? i got confused !
Last edited by buder5 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

buder5 wrote:can have little tutorial ? i got confused

Place a compression chest and a compression power pole within range of each other (2 blocks maximum distance of empty space).

Power the Power pole.

Dump items into the chest.

buder5
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by buder5 »

is an AWESOME mod i look dumb after :/
Last edited by buder5 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

It's like Quantum Chest from GregTech's mod for Minecraft. Really great mod.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Neotix wrote:It's like Quantum Chest from GregTech's mod for Minecraft. Really great mod.
That was the general concept :)

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Can you maybe add something like the disc drive from applied energistics (Minecraft Mod)?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

SuperSandro2000 wrote:Can you maybe add something like the disc drive from applied energistics (Minecraft Mod)?
To what end goal? The disk drive from the AE mod just stored contents on disks you could move around.

Are you looking for a chest that you can move around contents and all? Because I have that :P just haven't released it yet.

MalContentFL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MalContentFL »

I like the disk drive idea. I'd also like a very expensive Molecular Assembly Chamber that can autocraft. No more long lines of assemblers.
Maybe a high tier Wireless Access Terminal that can request things from the logistics system. Or an entire new system would practically be an Applied Energistics system.

Matter Cannons
Quantum Singularities for Quantum Field Rings and 2-way Teleporters.
The Logistics System could be accessed at the end of the Quantum Field Ring. Logistics Bots fly though the Field Ring and come out the other end to fill requests and take things.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Is it possible to show on gui total amount of items in chest?

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Rseding91 wrote:
SuperSandro2000 wrote:Can you maybe add something like the disc drive from applied energistics (Minecraft Mod)?
To what end goal? The disk drive from the AE mod just stored contents on disks you could move around.

Are you looking for a chest that you can move around contents and all? Because I have that :P just haven't released it yet.
I saw your portable chest but I wwant more a mass storage.
MalContentFL wrote:I like the disk drive idea. I'd also like a very expensive Molecular Assembly Chamber that can autocraft. No more long lines of assemblers.
Maybe a high tier Wireless Access Terminal that can request things from the logistics system. Or an entire new system would practically be an Applied Energistics system.

Matter Cannons
The Logistics System could be accessed at the end of the Quantum Field Ring. Logistics Bots fly though the Field Ring and come out the other end to fill requests and take things.
I thought over night about the autocrafting. I realy like the idea but it's way to over powered.

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

Has anyone used this mod on linux? It worked fine earlier on windows, now I am on my own machine with linux and I am getting the error "Error when opening /home/sgelliot/factorio/mods/Compression Chests/graphics/Compression Chest - Icon.png: No such file or directory"

This file does exist, I checked. I also noticed this is the only mod I use with a space in the primary mod folder name.

EDIT: I just confirmed, this is the only mod with a space in the name of any graphics files that I am using.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

starxplor wrote:This file does exist, I checked. I also noticed this is the only mod I use with a space in the primary mod folder name.
Actually it's probably the fact that the image has a capital 'I' for "Icon", but the item prototypes reference it with a lowercase 'i' instead, silly linux being case sensitive :)

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

Nice catch, I didnt notice the case was off in the error message. I will try changing the file name next time i load up factorio.

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

So, I tried changing the C in chest to be capital, because I got the error: "Error None: Error when opening ~/factorio/mods/Compression Chests/graphics/Compression Chest - Icon.png: No such file or directory"
After making all three words capitalized, I get this error: "Error None: Error when opening ~/factorio/mods/Compression Chests/graphics/Compression chest - icon.png: No such file or directory"
When I change to lower case c and i, I get the first error.
I made a copy of the image file, so there is one with each different spelling, and that seems to work...
I also had to rename Compression Chest.png to Compression chest.png, no copy needed here.

I am guessing different parts of the mod refer to it differently.

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

starxplor wrote:So, I tried changing the C in chest to be capital, because I got the error: "Error None: Error when opening ~/factorio/mods/Compression Chests/graphics/Compression Chest - Icon.png: No such file or directory"
After making all three words capitalized, I get this error: "Error None: Error when opening ~/factorio/mods/Compression Chests/graphics/Compression chest - icon.png: No such file or directory"
When I change to lower case c and i, I get the first error.
I made a copy of the image file, so there is one with each different spelling, and that seems to work...
I also had to rename Compression Chest.png to Compression chest.png, no copy needed here.

I am guessing different parts of the mod refer to it differently.
You could've just edited the .lua files to all be the same - find and replace is great for this, specially if you have software that can find and replace in an entire directory. That's what I did.

omegasrevenge
Inserter
Inserter

Post by omegasrevenge »

Rseding91 wrote:

Hello there, new mod that I am going to download. How are you? Oh! You aren't on the forums yet? Well, your maker will have to fix that asap.

omegasrevenge
Inserter
Inserter

Post by omegasrevenge »

SuperSandro2000 wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:

I saw your portable chest but I wwant more a mass storage.
MalContentFL wrote:I like the disk drive idea. I'd also like a very expensive Molecular Assembly Chamber that can autocraft. No more long lines of assemblers.

Matter Cannons
I thought over night about the autocrafting. I realy like the idea but it's way to over powered.
No, this is exactly what this game needs. Currently, this game has an exact amount of zero endgame goals. DyTech adds an insane 99x99 harvester, Powerlimiter adds a solar pannel that can work at night and produces over 50MW by itself, and this mod could produce stuff on demand! This is PERFECT. Just make it ridiculously expensive and you have an endgame goal for those people who cant stay entertained without a goal!

Return to “Mods”