[0.12.x][v0.12.8] Bob's Power mod

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[0.12.x][v0.12.8] Bob's Power mod

Post by bobingabout »

Designed for use with Bob's metals and chemicals mod (bobplates)
Bob's Intermediates is also a good addition.

Downloads:
v0.12.x
Latest: V0.12.8 - 26th June 2016
Dropbox Latest
Archive

As of 0.12.5, the Library Mod is required.

Adds Small (2x2) and Large (4x4) solar panels
Adds Tech 2 versions of all 3 sizes of solar panel (+50% output)
Adds Tech 3 versions of all 3 sizes of solar panels too. (+50% output of tech 2)

Adds Fast Accumulators (smaller capacity, faster transfer rate)
Adds Large Accumulators (higher capacity, lower transfer rate)
Adds Slow Accumulators
Adds Tech 2 versions of all 3 types of accumulator (+50% capacity and transfer rate)
Adds Tech 3 versions of all 3 types of accumulator (+50% capacity and transfer rate of tech 2)

Adds Tech 2 Steam Engine (water consumption to 150% of default, and 1.1x efficiency, able to be powered from a single boiler per engine, resulting in a +65% power output per steam engine, or +10% total per line)
Adds Tech 3 Steam Engine (water consumption to 200% of default, and 1.2x efficiency, resulting in +140% power output of the normal one steam engine, or +20% total per line)

Adds Tech 2 Boiler (Increases fuel efficiency to 60%, increases power output to 510kW)
Adds Tech 3 Boiler (Increases fuel efficiency to 70%, increases power output to 680kW)
Adds Tech 4 Boiler (Increases fuel efficiency to 80%, increases power output to 1020kW)

Adds Tech 2 to 4 Medium and Big power poles, and Substations.
Better medium power poles. +1 area radius per level, +2 distance per level
Better large power poles. +10 distance per level
Better substations. +3 radius per level, +6 distance per level.

All the recipes have a large "if" block, making them change drasticly depending on what resources are available, so I'm not going to list them.

Expect to need Steel and Titanium. Also Glass and Silicon for the solar panels. And Tungsten for the Boilers.

Okay, there was a slight bug with the boilers, so they burn at a rate of 520kW, 700kW and 1100kW instead. the main issue was with the game rounding 1020kW down to 1.0MW.

The Energy Efficiency of the boilers are designed to consume fuel (wood, coal, fuel blocks etc) at a higher rate of the original boiler for the new power output, but consumes less overall per energy unit than the previous.

Maximum water energy capacity/power of boiler = recomended number of boilers per pump. (round up)
5100/390 = 13.07 (14) mk1
5100/520 = 9.81 (10) mk2
5100/700 = 7.29 (8) mk3
5100/1100 = 4.64 (5) mk4

total water throughput of offshore pump/water consumption per second = maximum number of steam engines per pump. (round down)
mk1 = 6 water/s, 60/6 = 10 mk1 engines
mk2 = 9 w/s, 60/9 = 6.66 (6)mk2 engines
mk3 = 12 w/s, 60/12 = 5 mk3 engines.
Last edited by bobingabout on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Slan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.10.x] Bob's Power mod

Post by Slan »

I loke the bob's mods. But this one is too much similar to dytech/yuoki and even if i take it, i'am not sure i will use it. Thanks a lot.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Slan wrote:I loke the bob's mods. But this one is too much similar to dytech/yuoki and even if i take it, i'am not sure i will use it. Thanks a lot.
I've not tried Yuoki, and last time I played DyTech it only added new levels of boilers.
I also have a Patreon.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

DyTech Energy adds almost the same now. :cry:

Slan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Slan »

Dytech in green, Yuoki in Orange. Actually best seems to use Dytech Generator with Yuoki Boilers. But Yuoki are lot more balanced, the price is very high.
Sans titre.jpg
Sans titre.jpg (35.57 KiB) Viewed 59526 times

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I guess this sucks, I've been working on this since way before DySoch even started on Modular DyTech.
I spent quite some time working on the graphics for Small and Large solar panels, and alternate versions of Tech 2.
I also have a Patreon.

Slan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Slan »

Not really, because people like to have choice. And your graphics are nice ;) I may use them only for the design. Anyway, because Yuoki, You and Dytech are going to made HUGE mods, you can dev your own "global" mod or be complementary. The second option will not append by itself if you don't talk you three ;).

Yuoki is far well balanced about balancing energy and making the game more "alienistic" than dytech. Dytech give us really power tool about automation and yours was mainly use for ore/Chemicals/treatment and alternate use. As for now you don't really step on each other, but this can happend sooner if you three plan to make "global" mod.

Anyway, don't think your work is lost, it is far not : Yuoki is the well, best balanced, but also the harder to craft. Dytech is easy and powerfull, but some people will think it's too much OP. You actually are in the middle ;)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Ah, well, when you put it like that, it makes me feel better.

That's one reason why I'm releasing my mods as small packages too, so they can be used with the other mods if people want to, as a complement, rather than focing all of it on everyone. I have been looking at DyTech code a lot to try and make things "Compatable", but I've also stepped on a few toes along the way, like breaking Industrio.

I do plan to make a lot more, but it's time, you know? Eventually, my mod may be as big as DyTech.
I also have a Patreon.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Bobingabout, these accumulators can't accumulate energy, i'm using dytech steam engines, can that cause problem with these accumulators? All dytech steam engines are terciary
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

aklesey1 wrote:Bobingabout, these accumulators can't accumulate energy, i'm using dytech steam engines, can that cause problem with these accumulators? All dytech steam engines are terciary
The problem is with the Terciary steam engines.

I ran into this problem myself using the default accumulator.

Accumulators are Terciary, and Terciary can't charge Terciary.

I could say it's a DyTech problem, but more accurately, a game limitation.

I think the idea behind the Terciary power system is that it turns on last, at the same time as the Accumulators. Your terciary steam engines are effectively "Emergancy backup power" for when the primary and secondary systems run out.
I also have a Patreon.

AartBluestoke
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AartBluestoke »

is it possible to split send/receive power priority for accumulators? recharge at secondary power, emit at tertiary?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

AartBluestoke wrote:is it possible to split send/receive power priority for accumulators? recharge at secondary power, emit at tertiary?
Nope.
Dytech used to do this, untill a certain factorio patch that changed the way you define power priorities, which broke them in dytech. since then nobody has been able to figure out how to do it.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

You have so much stuff like tungsten and titanium, maybe if you add lithium, you can make that into one more tier higher accumulators?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

cpy wrote:You have so much stuff like tungsten and titanium, maybe if you add lithium, you can make that into one more tier higher accumulators?
If you look at the metals, chemicals and intermediates mod, we were talking about lithium, and lithium batteries.
So, Lithium battery accumulators is a likely result.
I also have a Patreon.

Jiryx
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Jiryx »

Hello bobingabout, I like most of your mods (the chemicals and modules are my favorites). You do great job. My problem is, I use them with DyTech and found same issues with overwriting technologies, for example Solar panels, baterries, factories, modules... I fixed some of these by editing your files and adding Dytech solar panels and batteries to your technologies, but i think, there is lot more things overwritten. Since I didnt play any game with only dytech or only your mod, I cant surely tell, what else is missing this way. Look's like you are very good at modding and scripting conditions for different mod interaction. Can I humbly ask you to work more on compatibility, so that your mods chceck if there are already Dytech items loaded and avoid to overwrite them? I am sure, that many people will also appreciate this, because they use Dytech and your mods together as well. I know your mods are separate, so I can choose, if I use your energy or Dytech energy, but I like to have them both i one game. And I am surely not alone... :D
Sometimes modifying mods makes more fun than playing them. ;-)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Well... from my perspective, I wrote my mod first (I know, not an excuse) but didn't release it right away, DySoch hadn't even released his modular mod yet, it was sitting in my factorio mods folder for quite some time before I released it. When I actually coded the majority of it, There was no DyTech Power module, but by the time I released it, there was, and I havn't done any significant updates to it at all since then.

Given that both DySoch, and myself try and stick to the naming convention used by the base game, it doesn't suprise me if we named a few things the same, and hence overite each other.

I'm currently trying to get the latest version of bobplates (Metals, chemicals and intermediates) in a state where it can be released, but when I get some time, I'll look at this mod again, and DyTech Power. I plan to go over all of them again to bring them up to the 0.10.7 mod naming specification, so far I've done Modules, Assembly machines and Ores, this means I have Plates(MCI) and Power left to do, and the new Warfare mod I'm working on.
I also have a Patreon.

Jiryx
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Jiryx »

Thank you for fast reply. I understand this is not priority. I just wanted to point out the problem, so you can bear it in mind in future changes and updates. It is also nice to hear you are still working on this mod. :-) Abandoned or not updated mods caused me to stop playing Minecraft. Great mods havent been updated and some other worked only on new versions. So I can never have my favorite mods in one game. Glad to know you are still full of energy and enthusiasm for this project. 8-)
Sometimes modifying mods makes more fun than playing them. ;-)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.10.x][v0.1.4] Bob's Power mod

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, Factorio V0.11.0 broke all my mods, so I'm patching them 1 by 1. These are purely patchs, no updates.

v0.1.5
* Factorio v0.11 compatability
* Solar panel stack size changed from 32 to 50

Although not currently in active developement, I plan to come back to power soon, it is on my list because it hasn't receaved any "love" since before 0.10.7
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.1.5] Bob's Power mod

Post by bobingabout »

on the note of my mod not being compatable with DyTech's because he used the same entity names as me.

Okay, Migration script to change an entity to a new name is a json file, not lua script, so I don't know if it's possible to do a conditional replacement or not. this is the issue:
If you don't load my mod along side dytech, you want the entities to migrate. otherwise your entire power system will disapear when you update my mod.
if you do load my mod along side dytech, you probably don't want to migrate, because it could change all of DyTech's power systems to mine.

Unfortunately, I only see 1 way or the other at the moment, I'll have to research if it is possible before I progress further.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.1.5] Bob's Power mod

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, forget what I said about migration, I've looked at DyTech Energy and compared (finally). Dytech uses -mk# suffix, I use a -# suffix, therefore the entities and item names are already seperate, no problem.
The issue is that he uses the same research names as I do. A migration script can fix this, if I change my research names to be unique.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”