[IDEA] Grey List

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Eliska
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[IDEA] Grey List

Post by Eliska »

IDEA : Counter bad players

/!\ : I'm french so my english could be wrong sometimes.

Today i went in a server, everything was fine, then a player called : *Mr Anonym* joined it, he stood for many minutes looking at my creation, then went away.
What i didn't notice is that he asked my logistic system for grenades and missiles since he connected.
I went afk, because i had trust him. When i came back everything was blow up :evil: .
So i banned him and loaded up my save.

What's IMPORTANT is the FACT that i DIDN'T KNOW he was a fucker.

So i came up with an idea : What if the dev could create a some kind of list where player can receive warn :
For example : Someone is on a server and mess things up.

Player could click on him and report him in few categories, like :
-Griefer
-Killer ( only for pve server )
-Hacker ( teleportation / give )
-Mean ( insults/bad player )
-Etc..

This would lead to a thing : an advert.

When the player connects we could see how many times he has been reported.
Report would fade by 25% every 5 days or/and if someone remove his report or/and if too many time passes away ( 2 months or 3 )
This won't prevent player to grief, and we would have informations about how is that player who just joined my 15k hours game.

Of course players could raid someone and report mass him.

Which lead to THE system : Reputation

Players could also award point ( like report ) to other player for many reasons :

-Smart
-Calm
-Polite
-Trusty
-Etc..

So when a player come up everyone in tchat would see if that player CAN BE ( he maybe won't be ) bad.

This could look likes this :
Factorio.png
Factorio.png (2.06 MiB) Viewed 2292 times
Every one on the server could see that, as well as a player panel could be implemented with that :
-Kick
-Ban for x minutes/hours
-PermaBan
-Whisper ( shortcut )
-Mute
-Freeze
-See inventory ( /open )

Thank you for reading ! With the hope that my idea will be add if dev sees it :D

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [IDEA] Grey List

Post by Koub »

Griefers are a thing since Factorio has multiplayer. just look at all the topics with griefer in it :
search.php?keywords=griefer&terms=all&a ... mit=Search
There is an unofficial griefer database here : viewtopic.php?f=53&t=29937
It's made by the community, and may help preventing known griefers to connect on your server.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

This is actually why some features like your technology list remembering progress actually exist.

Earlier, progress wasn't saved, so if you changed research, all progress was lost.

then multiplayer happened, and trolls and griefers.
I made a mod, on request, called techsave.
A few updates later, the feature was part of the base game.

Achievement unlocked: Written a Mod became part of the base game.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

I'm afraid that such a "grey list" would violate European information privacy laws, unless only players who provided their consent are put on the list.

Therefore, if it is to be an official list, then the EULA would have to be changed.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Even then, it would be impractical for Wube to maintain. How do you prove someone was a griefer? How do you prevent false reports? What if they dispute it? When it prevents someone from joining a multiplayer game what are you going to do if they threaten to sue you? Or do actually sue? Easier to just leave it as an unofficial list.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Tekky wrote:I'm afraid that such a "grey list" would violate European information privacy laws, unless only players who provided their consent are put on the list.

Therefore, if it is to be an official list, then the EULA would have to be changed.
wtf? as far as i know nicknames has nothing to do with it.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

In principle, the idea is good, but in reality, I see a few flaws. Privacy could be a concern. There's no way to verify whether these claims are true or false, other than saving a replay of every public multiplayer game, which is completely impractical. Sure, some people might give honest review, but others might simply say that everyone they meet is a horrible person. Do you make who has reviewed you public or semi-public? Would that lead to retaliation? Would that be good or bad? Do you take an average of the reviews a player has given, and factor that in? What if they only report griefers? Does that make their reviews useless? Do you record how many players they've played with, and factor that in? How does that all fit in with privacy regulations? What if someone opts out? Then does everyone assume they're a bad person? What use is any of this if you're afk?

There are a lot of ifs, and overall far too many places it could go wrong. To be honest... does anyone here have a degree in psychology?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

GDPR is about PERSONAL Data, there is allowance for ban lists on usernames... Otherwise things like account bans would be illegal too.

Hey look, you're not allowed to be banned from the forums, because that's a breach of the GDPR!
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

squarebe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by squarebe »

might be a good idea but idiots attract each other and they start giving away good tags so you'll be confused... best way imo just give them a server side ban so they cannot join the server if any of the current players banned them before.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”