True end of Factorio

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
candyn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

True end of Factorio

Post by candyn »

How should standard game end?
Launching a satellite?

I think that you crashed on planet surface so naturally it should end that you are leaving the planet!
I can see these scenarios:
1, crash (default)
- you must leave the planet. Could be that you are sending pieces of space elevator, then build mega rocket on orbit or build a mega rocket on planet (or something that way)

2, terraformation
- there is no food (for now). So you could prepare landing zone or some infrastructure for others to come (ect. some production per minute)

3, annihilation
- kill all bugs. Map should be limited to kill everyone (maybe more aggressive bugs at theyre small number?) or there could be megabug to kill (mother/queen) like in the movie Starship Troopers (1997) or you build some device that you could controle every bug

4, Star gate
- you could build some superstructure that others could/will come (like starcraft - protoss)

5, colonization of planets
You are alone or robot, which means you do not need anyone. You could wake up or just be (extinct the civilization that created you). So you start exploring your planet and then others.

5, rebuilding of society
- you are robot - you built yourself (more robot) and they could work with you and you will command them - you end by building certain number of bots

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: True end of Factorio

Post by MeduSalem »

You are doomed to roam the near endless wastelands grinding for resources with local life trying to get a piece of you.

End of story.

Krazykrl
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Krazykrl »

Step 1) Consume
Step 2) Destroy
Step 3) Expand
Step 4) Go to Step 1

This is the endgame of factorio.

mergele
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mergele »

The game ends when my itch has been scratched for another year.

Hedning1390
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hedning1390 »

I am fine with factorio end being a sandbox builder. it would make sense if there were some more late game thing being the trigger for the "victory" screen though.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

As the factory expands...
... building after building consuming resources...
... mines producing endless amounts of ore - after all, what else are you going to waste research on, if not mining productivity...
... and countless biters are ground up by bullets, lasers, nuclear explosions, or if you are really creative, hot jets of flame...
... and countless forests fare no better. We all know who our true enemy is in this game...
... eventually it will all grind to a slow, gentle, agonizing halt...
... as your UPS ticks lower and lower, always continuing to but never quite reaching 0...
This is the death of a Factorio universe.

Tricorius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tricorius »

I’ve always felt like the true endgame should be building an intergalactic logging operation. There are many planets that might need some of the end game wood that accumulates. Also, you could then be played off by the “Lumberjack Song”. That might have to be a mod though, due to copyright issues. :)

It also occurred to me...what better way to solve the bots vs belts argument than drop ships? Eh? You thought trains were awesome for high-capacity long-distance shipping. ;)

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Tricorius wrote:I’ve always felt like the true endgame should be building an intergalactic logging operation. There are many planets that might need some of the end game wood that accumulates. Also, you could then be played off by the “Lumberjack Song”. That might have to be a mod though, due to copyright issues. :)
I am for an intergalactic real estate company.

I mean look at how much space we strip of resources and leave behind empty ready for colonization.

There have been quite some places throughout my plays on some maps with lakes I would have wanted to build a log cabin nearby and settle down with a few kilometers of perimeter fence around it so I don't have to deal with any neighbours.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Let's say they implement star gates. You can teleport to other planets and build there too.

Other than possible exclusive resources, give me at least ONE reason the player may want to build there.

Krazykrl
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Krazykrl »

Gergely wrote:Let's say they implement star gates. You can teleport to other planets and build there too.

Other than possible exclusive resources, give me at least ONE reason the player may want to build there.
You mean something like clusterio? Where you have a vast interconnected system of pocket-universes?

Here's some reasons:
Alien Biomes
Resource richness change
Resource Hardness change
Single resource worlds
Mixed resource deposit only worlds
Minor Resources on every tile
Global mining productivity multiplier (which is multiplicative with mining productivity research)
Mining requiring fluids
Weather
Differing Daylight length or no daylight
Differing Biters (effective health pools, effective damage, flammenbiters)
Resource-Specific biter spawns where biters do not spawn anywhere but resource patches, and each type of resource causes differing boni onto the biters at that location.
Global crafting speed modifiers (i.e. all assemblers+furnaces have -0.2 bonus crafting speed(additive to base))

Of course... you could also have any permutation of all of these options. (e.g. An alien biome world with blue sand, no sunlight, no trees, super hard ores, super rich ores, +20% mining productivity, all resources require lubricant to mine, all biters are on fire, and all your machines work at a 50% speed penalty.)

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Gergely wrote:Let's say they implement star gates. You can teleport to other planets and build there too.
Partitioning a gigacomplex across multiple worlds could potentially keep the visuals down a bit, it could help with UPS. Anyone who's ever zoomed in on a few hundred working steam turbines will notice the slowdown that causes. Partitioning a world by moving that power plant off-world and generating power elsewhere could help.

But it does add another layer of complexity to the game.

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

candyn wrote:How should standard game end?
1, crash (default)
2, terraformation
3, annihilation
4, Star gate
5, colonization of planets
5, rebuilding of society
All of those can be a mod.
1: is actually Space X mod. No need to the devs to think about that.
5: run several servers, like does Clustorio
ect

Factorio already got all the answers, open ending means everyone build their own ending.
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

betrok
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by betrok »

adjl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by adjl »

Krazykrl wrote:

You mean something like clusterio? Where you have a vast interconnected system of pocket-universes?

Here's some reasons:
Alien Biomes
Resource richness change
Resource Hardness change
Single resource worlds
Mixed resource deposit only worlds
Minor Resources on every tile
Global mining productivity multiplier (which is multiplicative with mining productivity research)
Mining requiring fluids
Weather
Differing Daylight length or no daylight
Differing Biters (effective health pools, effective damage, flammenbiters)
Resource-Specific biter spawns where biters do not spawn anywhere but resource patches, and each type of resource causes differing boni onto the biters at that location.
Global crafting speed modifiers (i.e. all assemblers+furnaces have -0.2 bonus crafting speed(additive to base))

Of course... you could also have any permutation of all of these options. (e.g. An alien biome world with blue sand, no sunlight, no trees, super hard ores, super rich ores, +20% mining productivity, all resources require lubricant to mine, all biters are on fire, and all your machines work at a 50% speed penalty.)
The issue is that none of that really changes much to provide an incentive to build there. Different visuals are fun for variety's sake, but most would be more inclined to install a mod for blue sand than put up with half-speed machines, flaming biters, and the need to ship lube everywhere. Especially when the alternative is to just keep expanding on the original planet and not have to deal with any extra challenges. Hard mode settings can be fun, certainly, but there's a distinct difference between setting yourself up with challenging map settings at the beginning and choosing to up the difficulty partway through the game for no reward (while being able to switch back to the easier mode at any time).

If you want to make an incentive that doesn't revolve around exclusive stuff, you'll need to give very significant bonuses, and probably very narrow ones to promote using different worlds for different things (i.e. 40% productivity for green circuits in one world, 20% for oil refining in another, etc.). That would promote having different sections of the factory on different planets, which could be interesting from an infrastructure point of view (though it would dramatically cut down on the need for train infrastructure, which would be suboptimal).

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Thanks for giving me a good reason to hate you :twisted:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

abregado
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by abregado »

Aeternus wrote: ... as your UPS ticks lower and lower, always continuing to but never quite reaching 0...
Entropy in the Factorio universe... the UPS asymptote.

rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rldml »

abregado wrote:
Aeternus wrote: ... as your UPS ticks lower and lower, always continuing to but never quite reaching 0...
This scares me in such many ways...

Greetings, Ronny

factory65
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by factory65 »

abregado wrote:
I found that statement so entertaining, thank you. :)

https://youtu.be/SEbzTe0CzT8

Return to “General discussion”