[posila][for 0.17][0.16.36] Can't start Factorio after alt-tab during loading

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
jack/cartesiandaemon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[posila][for 0.17][0.16.36] Can't start Factorio after alt-tab during loading

Post by jack/cartesiandaemon »

Occasionally when I'm starting Factorio 0.16.36 on windows, it pauses on the loading screen at 40% for a while. It seems to always recover if I wait, but if I alt-tab to another application during that time, then it hangs and I have to let windows kill it.

Thereafter, if I run it again, it fails to start with error message "Error" "Initialization failed. Error code: 01".

If I try running it multiple times, it still fails. Killing the steam services with task manager doesn't help. Restarting the computer made it all ok again.

As best as I can tell, the problem has occurred every time I alt-tab when it get temporarily stuck at 40% (at leasts 3-4 times) Alt-tabbing any other time hasn't ever present any problem (even during the loading screen at 40%, if it's not paused there). Every time the problem happened I needed to restart my PC, but restarting has always fixed it.

This is not presenting a problem for me (I just don't do that), so I'm not interested in a fix/workaround, I don't expect it to be important, but I'm reporting it just in case it's useful, and I'm happy to help if there's anything I can do. I know most likely this is a dup and/or something idiosyncratic about the graphics on my laptop, but I couldn't find anything by searching the forum so I'm reporting it just in case.

I believe the logs are from the time it hanged and I had to kill it, and the next time I ran it and it failed to start (but I'm not 100% sure).

(Thank you again, I am enjoying Factorio so much!)
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(3.08 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
factorio-current.log
(5.32 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.36] Can't start Factorio after alt-tab during loading

Post by posila »

Thanks for the report.
It shouldn't be problem in 0.17 once we finish update of our rendering framework. It is not done yet, so I'll move it to Assigned for time being.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [posila][for 0.17][0.16.36] Can't start Factorio after alt-tab during loading

Post by Serenity »

Factorio seems to have some general issues with Alt-Tabbing. I also often have the case where if Factorio is the only thing running in the taskbar it doesn't properly switch to the Windows desktop until I Ctrl-Alt-Del and bring up the task manager

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [posila][for 0.17][0.16.36] Can't start Factorio after alt-tab during loading

Post by posila »

Thanks for the report. This should be resolved in 0.17 by our modernized rendering engine.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”