[0.16.40] Train signals no longer working

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Daggaroth
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.16.40] Train signals no longer working

Post by Daggaroth »

Hi All,

As of the latest version I am seeing all my rail signals (both types) no longer working, they are simply blinking between Green / Yellow / Red .

Saving and reloading did not resolve the issue
Putting the signals down and placing them back up did not resolve the issue
removing and restoring the rails did not resolve the issue.

Mods used:
Robot Army

I tried disabling the mod and reloading but this did not resolve the issue.

Save can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1epiVw ... NpqvB34ciY

Please let me know if I can provide any further information in order to get this issue resolved. I am playing on a train world and without my signals this factory is going to grind to a halt.

c0bRa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Train signals no longer working (0.16.40, Build 36428)

Post by c0bRa »

Can confirm it on my Railword... 300 trains crashing into each other... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Lemus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Lemus »

When loading my save from last night in [16.39], and walking by my rail stacker, all the signals were blinking back and forth as though they were in non usable locations, IE placed then a curve added, or placed on the ground away from rails. All my rails were marked as a yellow line and no division by lights, nor would picking up lights and replacing them fix it. The entire rail line across my map was 1 long block and trains were running into eachother.

I placed a new section of rail's in a circle and marked them with signals, and they divided as expected when lights placed. So new rail segments that are laid down and signaled seem to work, however pre-existing rail segments are dead.
Attachments
new2.zip
(75.77 MiB) Downloaded 161 times
mods.zip
(31.22 MiB) Downloaded 229 times
rail signals.png
rail signals.png (7.48 MiB) Viewed 11619 times

Nahbyr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Nahbyr »

Is there any fix for this? Replacing all the signals I have will be impossible. I have 100+ trains running and crashing right now.

Saiph
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Saiph »

After 16.40 update on Steam, started game (no mods) and tried to load a save from 16.38 vanilla. All signals on map are just blinking red/yellow/green, trains colliding all over the place.

c0bRa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by c0bRa »

Directly after loading my savegame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89xfVwDKvUQ

Replacing the signal is working as soon as you have replaced 2 signals in a row so they can build a new rail block. The existing signals don't divide the tracks into serparate blocks...

rymn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rymn »

c0bRa wrote:Directly after loading my savegame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89xfVwDKvUQ

Replacing the signal is working as soon as you have replaced 2 signals in a row so they can build a new rail block. The existing signals don't divide the tracks into serparate blocks...
My save look identical.. I'm just reverting back to .39

c0bRa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [16.40] Train signals no longer working

Post by c0bRa »

I can‘t revert, because with 0.16.39 i had that bug here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=59995
So my sabegame didn‘t load with .39 and the game crashed

wizard07ksu
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [16.40] Train signals no longer working

Post by wizard07ksu »

I just opened up a megafactory. Last time I played was on 0.16.39, just updated to 0.16.40. All currently placed rail signals are not working. Take a look at this:
Crashed Trains.PNG
Crashed Trains.PNG (3.31 MiB) Viewed 11345 times
All trains in this pic are supposed to have either 1 or 3 cars, and always 1 engine.

From left to right: a Steel train lost its engine and first car in that intersection (can you still see the rubble). The plastic train behind it lost the last car. The blue engine was rammed from behind and lost its one car to another steel train, which lost a car when it got rammed by a copper train. Which got rammed by another plastic train. Which was rammed by a coal train (coal train lost a car).

I have an exclusively right-hand rail system - there should be NO/ZERO/NONE rail placement markers on the LEFT sides of the rails, but you can see the green boxes indicating where I could put a rail signal on both sides of the track.You can also see that the entire track is one segment despite the presence of rail signals that should be breaking that up.

This is, technically, fixable. I can destroy (manually) rail signals and place new ones. Here's the before:
Before Manual Placement.PNG
Before Manual Placement.PNG (424.58 KiB) Viewed 11345 times
And then I replace the 2 highlighted rail signals:
After Manual Placement.PNG
After Manual Placement.PNG (441.38 KiB) Viewed 11345 times
So I can manually replace them. Its just ... I have 9k rail signals, and 3k chain signals. I'm not going to go replacing all of them.

0.16.40 is unplayable. Good thing I haven't saved, yet...

betrok
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.16.40] Train signals no longer working

Post by betrok »

Command to recreate all signals:

Code: Select all

/c for _, surf in pairs(game.surfaces) do
	for _, sig in pairs(surf.find_entities_filtered{name = {"rail-signal", "rail-chain-signal"}}) do
		local arg = {name = sig.name, position = sig.position, direction = sig.direction, force = sig.force}
		sig.destroy()
		surf.create_entity(arg)
	end
end
But I'm too lazy to copy circuit connections and settings.

Edit: copy force as well.
Last edited by betrok on Thu May 03, 2018 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Unless you can provide help or details of the issue, do not comment please.

ArchieGoodwin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ArchieGoodwin »

Loewchen wrote:Unless you can provide help or details of the issue, do not comment please.
I don't quite understand this - are we not to say anything, or have there been instances of messages that were not productive?

I'm encountering the exact same thing. As I think others are saying, if you remove and replace everything then it works (did this on a small end section of a rail branch), but you really seem to have to take them all out. It would be good to know if this is an issue for strictly vanilla games or if it's possible that some mod is interacting badly with the new change. I have several mods running, but no good way of knowing which one(s) might be implicated.

smitty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by smitty »

That code snippet seems to have fixed the issue for me. Thanks! I'll report back if I notice any side effects. *running vanilla

vGriz89
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by vGriz89 »

betrok wrote:Command to recreate all signals:

for _, sig in pairs(surf.find_entities_filtered{name = {"rail-signal", "rail-chain-signal"}}) do
		local arg = {name = sig.name, position = sig.position, direction = sig.direction}
		sig.destroy()
		surf.create_entity(arg)
	end
end
But I'm too lazy to copy circuit connections and settings.
Can confirm that the code works, though if you are going for achievements this code will disable getting further achievements.
Running Vanilla
https://clips.twitch.tv/TrappedDaintyCasetteOSkomodo

Boldar
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Boldar »

Are the savegames backward-compatible? If so, one could check if it is the saving or the loading breaking it by loading a 0.16.40 save into a 0.16.39 game. I cannot do that because sadly steam overwrote my only instance of 0.16.39. Is there any place to download specific versions?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Boldar wrote:Is there any place to download specific versions?

You can not load a .40 save in .39, but you can generally roll you installation back to 16.39 by choosing that beta branch in steam, see my signature.

Modoc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Modoc »

After I noticed the problem I did not save the file I just moved back to .39 And things seem to be working. Just need to hold off on upgrading.

Meddleman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Meddleman »

ArchieGoodwin wrote:
Loewchen wrote:Unless you can provide help or details of the issue, do not comment please.
I don't quite understand this - are we not to say anything, or have there been instances of messages that were not productive?

I'm encountering the exact same thing. As I think others are saying, if you remove and replace everything then it works (did this on a small end section of a rail branch), but you really seem to have to take them all out. It would be good to know if this is an issue for strictly vanilla games or if it's possible that some mod is interacting badly with the new change. I have several mods running, but no good way of knowing which one(s) might be implicated.
The only productive thing I can say is that I'm running vanilla and this "bugfix" changed things on the vanilla level. For worse. :|

smitty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by smitty »

Ok, weird side effect of the signal replacement code snippet, replaced signals can't be removed. On attempt, I get the message: "Enemy structure can't be mined. "

betrok
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by betrok »

smitty wrote:Ok, weird side effect of the signal replacement code snippet, replaced signals can't be removed. On attempt, I get the message: "Enemy structure can't be mined. "
I've already edited it, for whoever used command before fix:

sig.force = "player"
	end
end
Replace "player" with your force name, if you are not part of default one. Sadly not too much can be done easily for games with multiple forces...
Last edited by betrok on Thu May 03, 2018 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”