[Dominik][16.37] Console closes when toggle bound to letter key

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Marukyu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[Dominik][16.37] Console closes when toggle bound to letter key

Post by Marukyu »

What I did:
I tried to type a chat message containing the letter "t". The "Toggle Lua Console" option is also bound to the "T" key for me.

What happened:
The chat window closed and the message was not sent.

What I expected to happen:
I expected the letter "t" to be appended to the message, and the console window not to close, as was the case in 0.16.36 and earlier. The current behavior makes any letter/character key unsuitable for the "console/chat" key, and I cannot find any other suitable key to replace it.

This issue occurs both for me (Linux Mint 18) and my friend (Windows 7). My log file is attached.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(8.13 KiB) Downloaded 96 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.16.37] Chat/console closes when pressing bound 'chat' key

Post by Loewchen »

This is working correctly, bind it to a key not used in text or command.

Marukyu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Marukyu »

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a convenient workaround for this issue.

Attempting to bind the console/chat key to its default (the key to the left of 1, which is "DEAD_CIRCUMFLEX" on my keyboard) results in the first typed character receiving a circumflex on top of it (a bug marked as WONTFIX), and other easily accessible keys either cannot be used because they occur in chat messages/commands I attempt to type (this rules out all letters, numbers and most symbols) or are too far out of reach to be easily accessible.

Is 0.16.37's behavior actually intended? The chat/console window worked differently in 0.16.36, and I could not find any entry in the latest experimental version's changelog indicating this change in behavior, so I assumed there must have been some regression from a different change.

0.16.36's behavior seems more user-friendly, as the console can still be closed by pressing "Escape"; this is how most other games handle their chat windows.

I would like to ask for confirmation that this undocumented change really is a correction of the previous behavior to the current behavior, or if it was merely a side effect of some other bugfix or refactoring.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

For letters it seems to work differently in .36 indeed.

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [16.37] Console closes when toggle bound to letter key

Post by Dominik »

The change was done under the changelog record "Improved system of key blocking now allows more key bindings to work correctly. (59415)"

The previous behavior that did not close the console by the key set to "toggle LUA console" (=open AND close the console) was unintended and a result of an error in the code. That error was fixed by the recent refactoring.

But since people are convincing me that a key set to open and close a console should in fact not close the console (which to me seems counter-intuitive for some reason) I have changed it so that it now works as you want. The "toggle LUA console" key will only open the console and not close it. An exception is the tilde (`) key, which opens and closes the console - because that is how console always works and because kovarex wants that.

Marukyu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [Dominik][16.37] Console closes when toggle bound to letter key

Post by Marukyu »

Thank you very much, Loewchen and Dominik, for reviewing the bug report and adjusting the behavior in the code. You people really are the most awesome and dedicated developers!

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [Dominik][16.37] Console closes when toggle bound to letter key

Post by Dominik »

I have extended the exception to F1-F12 keys.
UR welcome :D

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”