Development and Discussion

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Development and Discussion

Post by mrvn »

ukezi wrote:
mrvn wrote:
Termak wrote:Sulfur is super easy to get, no idea how people can have problems with it, unless playing seablock or something and then its really not Angels fault-
Then tell us how. Washing coal isn't enough here.
Wash all the coal you use for power, do sorting for chunks, put prod moduls in the washing,... there are a lot of ways to get more yellow waste water.
I use little coal for power, too much solar power. I already sort chunks but I also go further up to pure chunks so the sulfuric waste water from chunk sorting is fed back for the next steps. Not that much of a sulfur producer there. I don't use prod modules. I really should. I guess with prod modules all those sulfur loops that barely scrape by would become sulfur producers.

Still, my main ore consumption is iron, copper and tin. Which I get from cupric and ferrous ore. They don't produce any sulfuric acid but the best smelting recipes consume it. I don't think you can make enough sulfur to run purely on the best smelting recipes for everything.

EFLFE
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by EFLFE »

Hi, Arch666Angel.

I have a question. Why is iron get's from sapphire? Is it a mistake or am I not sure? Just wondering)

Ultimoos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ultimoos »

Not a bug. Core feature.

live22morrow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by live22morrow »

EFLFE wrote:Hi, Arch666Angel.

I have a question. Why is iron get's from sapphire? Is it a mistake or am I not sure? Just wondering)
The top level ores aren't actually based on anything real, though some of them are named something similar to real life gemstones.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

any plan for chrome plate ?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Hellatze wrote:any plan for chrome plate ?
If you use Circuit Processing mod, which is btw a nice one:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Trainwre ... Processing

there is use for chrome in high tier circuits.

But be aware, that it also uses much more resources overall for the circuits

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

jodokus31 wrote:
Hellatze wrote:any plan for chrome plate ?
If you use Circuit Processing mod, which is btw a nice one:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Trainwre ... Processing

there is use for chrome in high tier circuits.

But be aware, that it also uses much more resources overall for the circuits
no, your mod simply add / change demand.

i hope that chrome plate have use in future.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

orzelek wrote:I had some issues with current coke recipe.
While I see why it's in smelters now could you give us an option to move it to assemblers?

Having it in smelters is... dangerous. It leads to few bugs from game appearing like inserters putting crushed coal into fuel slot till full stack instead into input slot. Or the fact that using crushed coal as fuel (bob gave coal very nasty pollution penalty) is pretty dangerous for your smelting areas since when they run out of ore even for short time they will suddenly switch to coke production. And coke chasing on main belts begins after that :D
Any chance for some revision to this?
It can be super annoying :D Or did I miss one?

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

orzelek wrote:
While I see why it's in smelters now could you give us an option to move it to assemblers?

Having it in smelters is... dangerous. It leads to few bugs from game appearing like inserters putting crushed coal into fuel slot till full stack instead into input slot. Or the fact that using crushed coal as fuel (bob gave coal very nasty pollution penalty) is pretty dangerous for your smelting areas since when they run out of ore even for short time they will suddenly switch to coke production. And coke chasing on main belts begins after that :D
Unsure of any revision stuff, but there are a couple easy ways around it.

1: Never use crushed coal in smelting lines. Coal has a fuel value of 8 MJ while crushed coal has only 4, and since you get 2 crushed coal from 1 coal it's actually a net loss of energy when you take into account needing to use crushers to crush the coal. Since the only two recipes that use crushed coal turn it into coke, there is literally no gameplay reason whatsoever to use crushed coal as fuel except when it's also being turned into coke in a furnace. Even if/when you can use productivity modules, turning it into coke is much better.

2: Use metal mixing furnaces instead. You can select the recipe on them just like assemblers and they'll do only that recipe. Sure, they cost twice as much stone as regular furnaces, but the ability to only use one recipe is well worth it.

johnnyBgoode
Inserter
Inserter

Post by johnnyBgoode »

Running a game with angels bobs spacex marathon and sciencetweaker. Helmod says that I need over 50 MK2 Algae farms just to power 4 plastic assemblers. Is that ratio off?

Also anyone know of a guide for the farm stuff? FNEI and What is it really used for is blanking on the name for the recipes for these. I have seeds and the exploration token but I cant seem to find there they go(they go into the farm).

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

Jackalope_Gaming wrote:
orzelek wrote:

Unsure of any revision stuff, but there are a couple easy ways around it.

1: Never use crushed coal in smelting lines. Coal has a fuel value of 8 MJ while crushed coal has only 4, and since you get 2 crushed coal from 1 coal it's actually a net loss of energy when you take into account needing to use crushers to crush the coal. Since the only two recipes that use crushed coal turn it into coke, there is literally no gameplay reason whatsoever to use crushed coal as fuel except when it's also being turned into coke in a furnace. Even if/when you can use productivity modules, turning it into coke is much better.

2: Use metal mixing furnaces instead. You can select the recipe on them just like assemblers and they'll do only that recipe. Sure, they cost twice as much stone as regular furnaces, but the ability to only use one recipe is well worth it.
chemical or metal mixing furnaces will actually not help with issue orzelek has. since they need fuel too, so they might decide that they need crushed coal as fuel, if their fuel slot is empty.
problem disappears when you are at electric furnace level, since those don't need fuel.

EFLFE
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by EFLFE »

Wait, so this mod is made specifically for Bob? I couldn't find a recipe for cement until Bob added.

Air
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Air »

Jackalope_Gaming wrote: ...Never use crushed coal in smelting lines...
That' s a good way to fix the problem - turn crushed coal into a simple ingredient, not a fuel. Why would you want it as fuel anyway? Just becase it's "realistic"? From the gameplay perspective if you have crushed coal, you probably have coal or coke or something else nearby.

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

Air wrote:
Jackalope_Gaming wrote: ...Never use crushed coal in smelting lines...
That' s a good way to fix the problem - turn crushed coal into a simple ingredient, not a fuel. Why would you want it as fuel anyway? Just becase it's "realistic"? From the gameplay perspective if you have crushed coal, you probably have coal or coke or something else nearby.
it is more realistic. also that way you can feed the smelter directly from the crusher without an additional inserter and complex setup to fuel the smelter.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

You wire up the inserter to the belt carrying the fuel and set it to fuel > 1 (or 2). The furnaces will stop when the fuel runs low but given how little fuel you need the belt should always be backed up. You can run a ton of furnaces from even a half belt of fuel.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Never use crushed coal is a nice solution unless you have latest bob's installed.
There you have nasty 200% pollution multiplier on coal which makes using it pretty harsh. So it's either crushed coal or go with carbon everywhere.

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Termak »

When i make coke in furnaces i just make them fuel themselves from the coke they make, either from pulling in fuel just after they drop the coke on the belts, or my newer way of doing 360 with Bobs inserter so that they take coke and put it back into same furnace.
Angel is bit behind on Bobs pollution changes, i would like to see him making the fuel pollution and liquid fuel changes, and maybe consider making cobalt bit easier to get since with new bobs blue belts you need considerable amounts of cobalt, which used to go mostly to iron/steel with nickel.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

orzelek wrote:Never use crushed coal is a nice solution unless you have latest bob's installed.
There you have nasty 200% pollution multiplier on coal which makes using it pretty harsh. So it's either crushed coal or go with carbon everywhere.
Uh oh. Crushing coal and then burning it reduces pollution? How long will that last?

I think the original setup was that you have coke pellets or solid fuel for your furnaces and don't want to use the crushed coke as fuel because it's inefficient.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

mrvn wrote:
orzelek wrote:Never use crushed coal is a nice solution unless you have latest bob's installed.
Uh oh. Crushing coal and then burning it reduces pollution? How long will that last?

I think the original setup was that you have coke pellets or solid fuel for your furnaces and don't want to use the crushed coke as fuel because it's inefficient.
fuel value of crushed coal is equal to value of coal you crush. but of course there is some power consumed during process (inserters, crusher), so it's not lossless. polution is different scale tho. 1 piece crushed coal has 50% of fuel value of coal, eg. lasts only half time when used as fuel (compared to 1 piece of coal)

cajuninabox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cajuninabox »

So, to start this post, I'm playing on Seablock, so I acknowledge that I'm living life on hard mode. But...

I've noticed that there is no way to grow additional desert, temperate, or swamp trees once you find one (unlike the gardens).

It is beyond a pain to landfill my way out into the ocean, around the millions of worms, just to get one or two trees, which produces (ignoring beacons) at most 8 seeds every 30 seconds.

Keeping in mind that I have to (very,very eventually) scale up to the production levels necessary for SpaceX, it seems like the trees are basically useless.

Am I missing something?

Return to “Angels Mods”