[Resolved - hopefully] www.factorio.com is dead ?

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
( Tchey )
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[Resolved - hopefully] www.factorio.com is dead ?

Post by ( Tchey ) »

Since yesterday, i can't access the main website, only the forum.

http://factorio.com is a dead page with nothing but a message from Chrome, Chromium, Firefox (tested with these) : the page does not exist.

So, if i follow the link from indigogo to the demo, same thing, dead page.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: www.factorio.com is dead ?

Post by Narc »

I think it might be your ISP doing something -- it's working for me. Can you reach the HTTPS version?

zeldafan42
Inserter
Inserter

Post by zeldafan42 »

Hi,
It is also not working for me. I am from Austria and it seems to be working from other countrys (you are able to acces the site using proxys, Google Translator and obviously Narc can reach it). So it seems that the site is not working from Austria and maybe some other countrys. I do not know why this is the case but maybe someone more familiar with the structure of the internet can tell us why it is not working anymore and when it will be working again...
Best regards,
zeldafan42

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

factorio.com is not dead :) I hope. We encountered some DNS problems yesterday. As a result what I think happened is that for internet users that have slow DNS cache update the site might not be working. There is an easy workaround for this. Change your DNS server / provider settings to Google DNS. That is a public DNS provider that is updated very frequently. This should solve the bug. Please try that if you could and let us know here.

zeldafan42
Inserter
Inserter

Post by zeldafan42 »

I just changed the DNS Settings on my computer using Googles DNS Service(8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). The strange thing is that nothing changed. I will retry after rebooting Windows but I fear that nothing will change. If it is only a problem with DNS than we should be able to reach via IP or am I wrong?(When I try to I come to a site say "Heroku no such app") I sure it is not dead because I am able to reach it using online proxy services. It would be good to hear which countrys or who cannot reach the site. I also asked a friend and tried it with my mobile phone but neither the friend nor my phone could reach the site. I hope that maybe the reboot will fix but I doubt it.
Best regards;
zeldafan42

zeldafan42
Inserter
Inserter

Post by zeldafan42 »

It works now even with my phone. I suspect you have done something to fix the problem or the problem was fixed otherwise. All in all i am happy that it works.
Best regards,
zeldafan42

rymn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rymn »

Two words.

Cloudflare.com

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

rymn wrote:Two words.

Cloudflare.com
Go ahead and do it. You'll wish you had sooner rather than later. Signing up with them now will save you downtime in the future.
My Silly Factorian Tricks
<_aD> OBSERVE SIGNAL ASPECT BEFORE CROSSING TRACK

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

I still believe the problem is / was with the DNS. I will be happy for any advice you can provide with. I am a DNS noob so will
appreciate someone enlightening me.

So here is the whole story:

We are using Heroku + ZerigoDNS + SSL Endpoint. We first got a notice from someone on the FB that the site is down on the 12th of Feb in the evening. I checked and everything looked good (different browser access, wget, heroku logs, heroku account). However we got couple of more messages that the site was down. The funny thing was that on my comp all was good and on Marwin's nextdoors it wasn't working. That was super confusing to me. I tried couple of internet "check site" tools and it all looked ok. I even wrote to Heroku support and they told me that all is fine. So (from my extremely limited knowledge about how this Internet thing works) I deduced that the problem will probably be in the DNS. It might not have been an accident that in the same time couple of other sites were down as well (IndieGoGo, Minecraft homepage I believe). We tried flushing the DNS cache on Marwin's computer but that didn't help either.

So I decided to calm down and just wait. I couldn't really sleep so later that night I chatted with a friend and ge gave me the simplest idea that haven't occured to me at all. To change the DNS provider to Google DNS. We tried it on Marwin's computer and all started working. That basically convinced me that the problem really was in the DNS and the local ISPs just haven't propagated updated records yet. I suppose there might have been some short DNS outage / error / anything and that this got stuck to some local ISPs.

Any insights into what actually happened or how to figure that out would be greatly appreciated. I have practically zero experience with scaling web applications.
zeldafan42 wrote:It works now even with my phone. I suspect you have done something to fix the problem or the problem was fixed otherwise. All in all i am happy that it works.
We haven't changed anything. I suppose the DNS propagation worked its magic. Happy it works for you.
rymn wrote:Two words.

Cloudflare.com
OMG, looks awesome. Putting it very high on my totally overflowing TODO list.

( Tchey )
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ( Tchey ) »

The site is still not accessible for me. I cannot play with DNS or anything. I'm somewhere in Norway and connecting via a wifi. I don't have access to the netbox or the ain computer.

If it's just me it's fine, but if a lot of people can't access the demo, then it's really bad for the game and for indigogogo campaign.

( Tchey )
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ( Tchey ) »

I did nothing. Access granted now, everything is "normal" again.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

If anyone else experiences problems (even after changing your DNS provider to Google and flushing the DNS) then please reply here. Otherwise we will consider this resolved.

( Tchey )
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ( Tchey ) »

Dead again, sorry...

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Ok this stops being funny :( I am going to send another email to the Heroku support.

rymn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rymn »

Ask Thomas about our conversation.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

rymn wrote:Ask Thomas about our conversation.
I am Thomas :D :D :D

rymn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rymn »

slpwnd wrote:
rymn wrote:Ask Thomas about our conversation.
I am Thomas :D :D :D
Oh.. I thought you were Koverex, mind of a play on your last name... Lol my bad. ;)

( Tchey )
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ( Tchey ) »

The bad thing is my eeePC has broken today, need to reinstall everything... and i can't download the game because i cannot access the website... Life is sooo difficult...

( Tchey )
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ( Tchey ) »

Is there a way to download the game somewhere else ? I need my factorio fix, already one full day without factoring anything... I... need... it... And v027 is coming very soon... I... need... it...

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Hi ( Tchey ),

unfortunately at the moment the only "official" way to download the game is from the webpage. The 0.2.7 is out now. We are working on the DNS problem but it is hard and takes time to communicate with the DNS provider. Could you please try whether the 0.2.7 download works for you ? In case it doesn't feel free to reply and we will try to find another way to provide you with the alpha.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”