Friday Facts #41

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #41

Post by slpwnd »

Earlier than ever (so I can go out and get some sun:)) : http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-41

rebecca
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #41

Post by rebecca »

well most computers have more than 4 GB even laptops these days come out of the shop at £300 with 6GB being the lowest i could find and play this game great

will we see a 64bit with larger memory cap so out of memory problems become a thing of the past eg 6 years ago when no gamer i personally know has used a 32bit system since ???

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Video memory, not normal memory. ;)

And there's already a 64 bit version of the game.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Tardan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tardan »

I am not a expert in crosscompiling. but from my 5 years work as software developer i can only say: use a continous integration server (CIS) like jenkins! beside IDEs and version managment system a CIS is the most important tool.

the greatest benefit is: after every checkin jenkins compiles for all plattforms and so you get a realy fast feedback. there are much more smaller benefits: automated testing, automatic delivery, code quality checks.....

production
Inserter
Inserter

Post by production »

Any chance we can get a screenshot in PNG format instead? It looks blurry due to JPG format.

vmetal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by vmetal »

Copper Spider Bitters confirmed

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

production wrote:Any chance we can get a screenshot in PNG format instead? It looks blurry due to JPG format.
Its meant to be blurry. That's what they were talking about..

RawCode
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RawCode »

"special note"
there is no 32bit processors in production for years, 8-16gb memory is common.

schwarzie2478
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by schwarzie2478 »

Setting up a CI server will save you enormous amounts of time and it also enables anyone on the team to make releases on their own!

Especially if you work with people who aren't technically well-versed in compiling programs like artists or managers,
if they need to make a release for something they changed, they have the power!

I don't have personal experience with Jenkins, but it seems very mature and has probably already all the functionality you guys need.

I suspect Factorio isn't that complex of a build ( not too many different components)

LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LoSboccacc »

I have truckload experience in cross build environments but if you need tips you need to share at least the toolchain you use for every environment, as you aren't crosscompiling but using a different env for every build

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Since two weeks the Jenkins in my team tests also all development branches, not only the deploy branch, and we have many of them (10 in minimum). We should have made that earlier: deploy before we go to lunch and after lunch looking, if everything works. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LoSboccacc »

Yeah but.. is everyone off the same compiler? Mingw?

Is there one makefile (or scons or whatever) for everyone or one makefile for each environment?

Is the source on git? Merged with merges or pull requests?

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

LoSboccacc wrote:Yeah but.. is everyone off the same compiler? Mingw?
Nope, actually we use three different compilers: visual studio one, gcc and clang.
LoSboccacc wrote:Is there one makefile (or scons or whatever) for everyone or one makefile for each environment?
Linux and OSX share the makefile. Windows uses its own VS build system.
LoSboccacc wrote:Is the source on git? Merged with merges or pull requests?
Yup.

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

RawCode wrote:"special note"

Anecdotal evidence I know, but from personal experience most people aren't ready to upgrade simply due to the cost. The enthusiast crowd has almost all moved over to 64bit at this point in the cycle (or at least those that can afford to upgrade) while the everyday gamer will often hold out until their current favourite game is not playable at their standards. Some people will hold out until they can upgrade via the cheapest path at the end of a product life cycle. Now this changes from game to game but you will see reports where a games playerbase leans heavily in favour of 64 bit but you will also sometimes see the opposite.

I would guess that overall this balances out at around the 50/50 mark still with many of those having a max of 4gig ram and most a lot less.

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrozenOne »

The notebook that I have for 6 years already is 64-bit and the computer i had for 3 years before that was also :D

RawCode
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RawCode »

looks like someone do not understand, this link will explain
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

OS Version
Windows 7 64 bit
49.41%

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Balinor wrote:
RawCode wrote:"special note"

Anecdotal evidence I know, but from personal experience most people aren't ready to upgrade simply due to the cost. The enthusiast crowd has almost all moved over to 64bit at this point in the cycle (or at least those that can afford to upgrade) while the everyday gamer will often hold out until their current favourite game is not playable at their standards. Some people will hold out until they can upgrade via the cheapest path at the end of a product life cycle. Now this changes from game to game but you will see reports where a games playerbase leans heavily in favour of 64 bit but you will also sometimes see the opposite.

I would guess that overall this balances out at around the 50/50 mark still with many of those having a max of 4gig ram and most a lot less.
Actually, if you check the link posted by Rawcode above, add up the percentages and you'll see that about 80% of gamers on steam are running a 64bit operating system. That's 80/20, very different to your estimated 50/50 mark. Also check the ram and add the percentages, and roughly 70% have 4gigs or more, again very different to your estimation.
Last edited by FishSandwich on Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nours77
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nours77 »

Factorio will be on steam too then,
can we use steam friend list for multi ?
invited to join a game and be able to accept and join the game, with a wait lobby to synchronize .

bulldog98
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by bulldog98 »

slpwnd wrote:
LoSboccacc wrote:Is there one makefile (or scons or whatever) for everyone or one makefile for each environment?
Linux and OSX share the makefile. Windows uses its own VS build system.
Have you tried using cmake? It can generate makefiles for unix systems and for windows, what windows uses.

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrozenOne »

RawCode wrote:looks like someone do not understand, this link will explain
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

OS Version
Windows 7 64 bit
49.41%
Yes, and the rest is Windows 8 64-bit :lol:

I see there 19 % of 32bit systems, and I bet lot of them runs on 64bit processors anyway.

Return to “News”