More mining options please

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

More mining options please

Post by dood »

I'm getting tired of electric mining drills.

How about:

-a drone station that sends out little carts to mine things in an area but consumes tons of power and can't use modules as the smallest maintenance solution possible for people who are tired of constant outpost construction?

-a big, ludicrously effective mining drill with 4 module slots that you can pull 4 blue belts out of but you have to use inserters to do it and it requires fuel to run as the highest maintenance, most complicated to setup solution for people who want to min-max or simply destroy ore fields as ridiculously fast as possible?

Anything new would be appreciated.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: More mining options please

Post by BHakluyt »

Hey man. Maybe try Mylon's mods. He got peppermint mining and nougat mining. The one is automatic and the other one need you to use the decon planner, but basically any idle roboports will mine ore in their area... never tried it in my own game, only saw it in action on the rpg servers.. but I think this could be what you are looking for...

Edit - idle robots from roboports in roboport area will go mine. Geez language. Trust you get it. They say a good understander only need half a word.....

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

BHakluyt wrote:Hey man. Maybe try Mylon's mods. He got peppermint mining and nougat mining. The one is automatic and the other one need you to use the decon planner, but basically any idle roboports will mine ore in their area... never tried it in my own game, only saw it in action on the rpg servers.. but I think this could be what you are looking for...

Edit - idle robots from roboports in roboport area will go mine. Geez language. Trust you get it. They say a good understander only need half a word.....
Yeah I tried that and am not a fan of the constant warnings it throws you if storage is full or if not enough construction robots are available and how bots insta-mine.
Those things are probably not something you can fix in a mod, otherwise someone would have made a mod that would, for example, make bots take time to deconstruct things by now.

I also tried the AAI mods which are neat in concept but a bit buggy in execution, unfortunately.

Nel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nel »

How would plopping down a drone station be different from the current way, plopping down mining drills? If you want to build less outposts, then increasing the resource size and yield is a very good option. Alternatively, the recipes can be modded to reduce the amount of resources needed, which would reduce the amount of resources needed.

For the second suggestion, afaik this can already be modded. Miners have a property specifying where they drop off their stuff. Removing this property should turn them into normal assembly machines. Further, if you are just looking for bigger mining drills, with more slots and higher speed, I think Bob already modded some.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

Nel wrote:How would plopping down a drone station be different from the current way, plopping down mining drills?
There would be no inactive mining drills to worry about and less parts to build in general.
Nel wrote:If you want to build less outposts
I have been dealing with electric mining drills as the one and only option for literal years now.
This is not about "building less outposts" but expanding a woefully underdeveloped part of the game just like pre-nuclear options for power.
Nel wrote:For the second suggestion, afaik this can already be modded. Miners have a property specifying where they drop off their stuff. Removing this property should turn them into normal assembly machines. Further, if you are just looking for bigger mining drills, with more slots and higher speed, I think Bob already modded some.
Cool.
So has anyone made a visually interesting, big burner mining drill with 4 module slots and ridiculously high mining speed yet?
Last thing I know, only the AAI mining vehicles fill that niche except they don't because they're vehicles with the baggage of being made for an entirely different system attached.

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

I can't make deconstruction take time, but what if deconstruction cost energy? It wouldn't be very visually interesting, but to pick up an item with a bot might cost 300kJ or thereabouts, and thus the bot would take longer to charge.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

Mylon wrote:I can't make deconstruction take time, but what if deconstruction cost energy? It wouldn't be very visually interesting, but to pick up an item with a bot might cost 300kJ or thereabouts, and thus the bot would take longer to charge.
Why hello there.
The more irritating bit and probably the most pressing concern are the alerts and due to the nature of the beast, you probably can't get rid of those without affecting regular alerts too because it makes use of bot logic.

What I had in mind were special "roboports" with their own logic (only go out to mine if there is room to store things), a small built in ore storage and an output to dump the stuff into chests or onto a belt.
Also maybe the ability to set them to a specific ore type so only that gets mined.
Most likely way too much to be solved within the constraints of modding.

Either way, it was just an example that came to mind as a stand in for "something radically different to miners".

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

BHakluyt wrote:peppermint mining and nougat mining
I totally get what you are up to. plz also add strawberrycake mining thats what i like most. :3

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

Nice one.
Unfortunately discontinued.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”