Map Editor to Scenario - reset freeplay?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
ThrashNeon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Map Editor to Scenario - reset freeplay?

Post by ThrashNeon »

Is there any way to reset a Map Editor created freeplay scenario as far as player playtime, inventory and starting script?

I'm using the Map Editor (in freeplay mode) to work on some starter base designs/layouts which I want to save as NEW freeplay scenarios.
This works fine for the first save of a new map, but after that, if it is played and/or edited, it tracks play time and inventory. I'd like to save a map and start it from the beginning (default inventory items, 00:00 play time, "Build a rocket" script when starting scenario). Even if I save and then convert save in the map editor, and save new it still remembers my info.

If I save an edited map as a new scenario file, and play it, it remembers my playtime, any changes in my inventory, and does not initiate the starting freeplay script.

Presumably, if I shared this scenario with someone, it wouldn't include MY playtime or inventory, so how do I make an edited scenario forget that I've ever played it?

The control.lua file appears to have the default freeplay script... but it's not triggered for me after the first open.

It would be nice if there was a "Save as new scenario" option.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Map Editor to Scenario - reset freeplay?

Post by HurkWurk »

normally what i do for that is before i save the map for us is to manually delete all my items by moving everything to a chest, then using the console commands to reset the biter evolution. im not personally familiar with a way to reset the played time, but i havent bothered to look for one either.

also with 16.36, there is a built in method to convert a map back to editor.

ThrashNeon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ThrashNeon »

Thanks for the reply...
HurkWurk wrote:normally what i do for that is before i save the map for us is to manually delete all my items by moving everything to a chest, then using the console commands to reset the biter evolution. im not personally familiar with a way to reset the played time, but i havent bothered to look for one either.
Yeah... my workaround for now is to "save the map as", and never click on "save and play" on the original - basically keeping 2 copies, taking screenshots, then opening and editing the original.
HurkWurk wrote:also with 16.36, there is a built in method to convert a map back to editor.
I was using that, but it seemed like the playtime was still included on the converted scenarios. I think because the converted scenarios reference the original map source.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

This isn't possible, and probably won't be possible for players, because you could just easily cheese the freeplay achievements

ThrashNeon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ThrashNeon »

Klonan wrote:This isn't possible, and probably won't be possible for players, because you could just easily cheese the freeplay achievements
I'm not sure I understand...

Currently, I CAN create a new freeplay map in the map editor, and pretty much put anything I want in it (resources for achievements, etc), and the silo-script and msg-intro will fire.

According to the wiki:
Scenarios count as mods for the purpose of isolating achievements.
This sounds like ANY Map Editor created scenario ALREADY disables achievements, doesn't it?
btw, this is fine with me... I'm not creating maps in order to get achievements. I simply want to be able to start a created or edited scenario over from the beginning.

When I create the map from the Map Editor and save and load the scenario, the silo-script fires, and the msg-intro is displayed. Or if I click "Save and Play" from the map editor, the script fires (but only the first time). Default spawn location, inventory, playtime at 00:00. Perfect.
But it seems like control.lua is ALWAYS considering my playing as a respawn instead of a new playthrough if I ever load any version of the scenario. Even if I convert the scenario and re-save it as a new scenario.

As I mentioned above, if I share my scenario with someone, won't the silo-script run, and NOT include time played, etc? If a friend can start a scenario from the beginning, why can't I?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

ThrashNeon wrote:
Klonan wrote:This isn't possible, and probably won't be possible for players, because you could just easily cheese the freeplay achievements
I'm not sure I understand...

Currently, I CAN create a new freeplay map in the map editor, and pretty much put anything I want in it (resources for achievements, etc), and the silo-script and msg-intro will fire.

According to the wiki:
Scenarios count as mods for the purpose of isolating achievements.
This sounds like ANY Map Editor created scenario ALREADY disables achievements, doesn't it?
btw, this is fine with me... I'm not creating maps in order to get achievements. I simply want to be able to start a created or edited scenario over from the beginning.

When I create the map from the Map Editor and save and load the scenario, the silo-script fires, and the msg-intro is displayed. Or if I click "Save and Play" from the map editor, the script fires (but only the first time). Default spawn location, inventory, playtime at 00:00. Perfect.
But it seems like control.lua is ALWAYS considering my playing as a respawn instead of a new playthrough if I ever load any version of the scenario. Even if I convert the scenario and re-save it as a new scenario.

As I mentioned above, if I share my scenario with someone, won't the silo-script run, and NOT include time played, etc? If a friend can start a scenario from the beginning, why can't I?
You are converting to a scenario from a save that has already been running,
The scenario 'blueprint.dat' contains the tick, and the script initialisations

If i understand correct, you are making a map, playing it for a while, then converting it from a save back into a scenario

In this case, the game.tick cannot be reset, as i mentioned above

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Being able to set initial map conditions does make sense from a scenario creation perspective. It'd be silly to start a map scenario and already have existing play time on it. IMO it would be better to favor the content creators on this one by letting them choose how they want to build their maps.

Chances are a map maker might want to set their own achievement lists, such as for completing map objectives quickly or doing gimmick things. In that respect having the default achievements is more of an obstacle than a help. The current achievement list is only really balanced around free play mode anyway.

Return to “Gameplay Help”