Stations & other LTN based designs

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

KillerGanja
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Stations & other LTN based designs

Post by KillerGanja »

Optera wrote:
KillerGanja wrote:Hi Optera,
first of all, I realy like LTN. Though I have a problem with setting it up. But more on this later.
Concerning the balancing problem of chests, a German Youtuber has created quite a neat solution just using vanilla items. Here is the link (you should be ablre to recreate it, just by watching it, as he schows all relevant pictures and setting, but if needed, I can translate the system):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrPU0ag8tPE&t=203s

Greetings from Germany
Zuri's Train Loader design is over a year old now and still the golden standard for balanced train loading without mods.
You can find it used in several posts in this thread alone as well as in the demo map.
Thanks a lot for giving me a name to this setup. Even though I have played factorio a lot, I still feel like a noob...

Nilaus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nilaus »

I am starting to convert my YouTube "Modular Megabase" to LTN and I thought that would be a good time to make a new simple tutorial of how it works.
Maybe this has interest for new players, if so you are of course welcome to link to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-TXRNQzL-U

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Nilaus wrote:I am starting to convert my YouTube "Modular Megabase" to LTN and I thought that would be a good time to make a new simple tutorial of how it works.
Maybe this has interest for new players, if so you are of course welcome to link to it:
LOL this poped up in my Youtube list a few minutes before. Didn't notice it is this New as you published similar Videos before. Commented to your insecurity about train composition.

Love to watch your Videos.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

KillerGanja
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by KillerGanja »

Nilaus wrote:I am starting to convert my YouTube "Modular Megabase" to LTN and I thought that would be a good time to make a new simple tutorial of how it works.
Just watched it. I like your explanation. Always easy to understand.

TrevJonez
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TrevJonez »

Lemlin wrote:I want to supply/refill my wall sections with bots, repair packs etc as well as supply it with fluids for the flame turrets.
How do I solve this in best possible way?

I currently have a shared station, but since the threshold have to be low for the items to be delivered, and the oil amount is much higher, I have a lot of small deliveries to them with my oil train.
Should I split the stations or can I solve this with combinators?
you can solve it with combinators by using an sr latch to only send the request value to the station when the value passes below a certain threshold. LTN itself only has global or per station threshold settings so a per item must be done with combinators.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

I think I know the answer to this, but just wondering if there's any solution to get a train to do load/unload in one go? For eg, Drop off the materials to make green circuits and pick up the green circuits that have been made in one trip/station rather than 2? Pretty sure it's not possible but would be nice to have that confirmed.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

McDuff wrote:I think I know the answer to this, but just wondering if there's any solution to get a train to do load/unload in one go? For eg, Drop off the materials to make green circuits and pick up the green circuits that have been made in one trip/station rather than 2? Pretty sure it's not possible but would be nice to have that confirmed.
There simply are too many variables that have to align just right for this to be practical.

BlacKcuD
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BlacKcuD »

Are there any more recent tutorials on how to use LTN?
Modded Multiplayer Mega Bases Only!

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Description & Information contains information about signals, how thresholds work and a demo save
viewtopic.php?f=214&t=51072

I constantly update descriptions and blueprints for my stations found from this thread
viewtopic.php?f=214&t=51073#p297643

This reddit post basically combines information I gave in the first two threads on a more superficial level.
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... _ltn_user/

Nilaus made a fairly up to date yt video.

BlacKcuD
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BlacKcuD »

Optera wrote:Description & Information contains information about signals, how thresholds work and a demo save
viewtopic.php?f=214&t=51072

I constantly update descriptions and blueprints for my stations found from this thread
viewtopic.php?f=214&t=51073#p297643

This reddit post basically combines information I gave in the first two threads on a more superficial level.
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... _ltn_user/

Nilaus made a fairly up to date yt video.
Thanks a lot, I am working through all of that right now.

Two questions thou for which I have no/contradictory information:

1) Do all my Depots have to be the same name? Can I make depots for various train lengths and name all of the same or what are my options here? In our case there are currently running 104 trains around varying between L-C and L-CCCCCC-L (and almost everything in between). It is probably a good idea to make multiple depots which are not all in the same place, even thou the total amount of trains active at the same time should go down.

2) Is it still true that the refuel logic of SmarterTrains is not recommended/bugged? Is that because both addons modify the schedule of a train directly? Can we still use it? If we can't, what is the best way to refuel trains? Refuel them at depots?
Modded Multiplayer Mega Bases Only!

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

You can name depots any way you want. Trains always return to the depot name they where originally sent.
Placing several Depots around the network with different names is generally a good idea. It solves a lot of congestion at depot entrance and exits.

I have no report if smarter train works alongside LTN or not. If it requires the fuel stop to be permanently in the schedue, LTN schedules will totally ignore it.

The best way to refuel LTN trains is in the depot. It's also the place where you should clean out wagons in case your stations left something inside, otherwise capacity calculations will be off resulting in more stuck items.

HOSH
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by HOSH »

Optera,

On Page 1 the only blueprint string I was able to copy was the 20 long depot one. I can see what the Provider and Requester V1 are doing and those are in you demo map with others. Wondering what you did for the Requester V2 to prevent the tick movement of the inserters with the decider contaminator. Or did the base game updated make that not needed anymore?

Moving from a 0.14 game to 0.16 and something did not come across correctly, but I was able to get the basic stations up and running in a new game.

Thanks
HOSH

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Encoded positions have the same signal delay as the expected cargo signals. Putting the decider behind the arithmetic combinator flipping the sign on expected cargo and encoded position as well as the merge with signals from the stop ensures the merged signals also contain the expected cargo signal before letting it pass to the filter inserters.
If your trains don't consist of vanilla stock you have to adjust the signal I used in the bp to an entity used in your trains. You can also use multiple decider in parallel if trains have no common entity.

I have no idea what your "something" is. Upgrading from 1.1.3 (last version for 0.14) to 1.7.9 should work.
However a lot of LTN's control signals have changed since then.

greenskye
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by greenskye »

The copy blueprint links seems to be broken. Tried to copy the requester BP and nothing happened, but the Depot one worked.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Seems like the js behind those buttons is broken in my Firefox too.

I created a bug report in the forum section viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60890

Dahn94
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dahn94 »

v2 Requester BP string seems broken. Same (invalid) text in Chrome and Firefox.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

fixed the bp string

Dahn94
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dahn94 »

Still seeing the same invalid opening chars -

Code: Select all

/u/oYpFc0nIke
. Not sure if it's a new bug in the forum but when I checked earlier the string text in the JS was invalid and reloading/using incognito windows isn't showing a different BP string. Will check later in case it's something with the forum caching the content.

Edit: fixed after 2nd update. Figured it wasn't worth a fresh reply.
Last edited by Dahn94 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Does testing the strings in preview mess them up somehow?

Anyway, it's hopefully fixed now.

mahury
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mahury »

I very like your mod. I made cell-based railroad network for my base by this mod. after some games I no problems with too much train traffic wich can suddenly paralizate all the network.
loading station based on your mod)
station
station
station.jpg (878.03 KiB) Viewed 10359 times

view on base
base
base
база.jpg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 10359 times
smelter station. not good for productivity, but it was drawn for about 10 minutes and can be easely placed on other cells and increase total production of iron or steel. for examle I increased my production of iron in 10 times by copying this station for 2 minutes of my time.
smelter
smelter
плавка.jpg (4.71 MiB) Viewed 10359 times
it was very easy to expand and have no problems with traffic. optimised for 1-2 trains. for more cargo in trains i do not know how to make sorter compact.
what i made for traffic?
1. buffer for extra train waiting for unload. it waiting in this place for unload while it does not make problems to another thains.
2. train station for load do not want more then 1 train. also they begin loading only when there is enought goods to load full train.
3. unload train stations do not want more than 3 trains. not to make traffic jams while waiting for load/unload.
4. many rail-chain-signal. Train can`t stop on intersections. one of problem was that train stop there waiting for another train and can`t leave it.
5. If producion is low i have to make enough raw materials for it.

Sory for my bad english.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”