Feedback

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Feedback

Post by bobingabout »

in theory, it is possible.

-speed however would still use the same power per second, so you'd also need to have -power usage too for it to make sense.

In a sense it would just be as if your effectivity module also had -speed on it.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I also have a Patreon.

Asanda_Nima
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Asanda_Nima »

Hio bob,

your latest update made it impossible to produce the fast inserters(red inserters) in the tier 2 assembling machine.
The fast inserter require 5 items to make, which the assembling machine 2 can't support. You need at least the assembling machine 3 for it, but that requires electronic circuit boards.
Handcrafting all fast inserters until you can establish electronic circuit boards production is a bit much I think at this stage.
At this stage of the game it should not be necessary to do so many things by handcrafting, I think.

Maybe you can re-think the requirements for fast inserters? Like only add steel gear wheel, instead of steel gear wheel and steel bearing. This would reduce the item count to 4, which would make it possible to produce in assembling machine 2.
I like the idea of needing bronze, this force you to advance in the smelting a little faster.

Thanks for the great addition to Factorio you make!

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Hmm i don't like the new changes and how you pushed them to all players without warning.
You should probably make a beta branch for testers until you are satified and leave the original mod untouched.

The recent changes broke more dependent mods like Miniloaders and make the game unecessary harder.

Maybe the changes should go to another revamp mod for those who like the changes.

With respect, steinio.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Asanda_Nima wrote:Hio bob,

your latest update made it impossible to produce the fast inserters(red inserters) in the tier 2 assembling machine.
The fast inserter require 5 items to make, which the assembling machine 2 can't support. You need at least the assembling machine 3 for it, but that requires electronic circuit boards.
Handcrafting all fast inserters until you can establish electronic circuit boards production is a bit much I think at this stage.
At this stage of the game it should not be necessary to do so many things by handcrafting, I think.

Maybe you can re-think the requirements for fast inserters? Like only add steel gear wheel, instead of steel gear wheel and steel bearing. This would reduce the item count to 4, which would make it possible to produce in assembling machine 2.
I like the idea of needing bronze, this force you to advance in the smelting a little faster.

I'll look into it, maybe drop the bearings.
I also have a Patreon.

Asanda_Nima
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Asanda_Nima »

Hio again,

the Science 2 doesnt work in the assembler anymore, because it expects the "Basic transport belt" but your belt is called "Transport belt".
Science 2 can only be crafted by hand now, because the game just forces the old receipt.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Asanda_Nima wrote:Hio again,

the Science 2 doesnt work in the assembler anymore, because it expects the "Basic transport belt" but your belt is called "Transport belt".
Science 2 can only be crafted by hand now, because the game just forces the old receipt.
There is a new item called Basic transport belt, it's in the bob's logistics tab, not base game logistics tab.
I also have a Patreon.

Asanda_Nima
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Asanda_Nima »

bobingabout wrote:
Asanda_Nima wrote:Hio again,

There is a new item called Basic transport belt, it's in the bob's logistics tab, not base game logistics tab.

Ohh, I see.

Not yet used to the re-shuffled items.

Sorry for the false alarm ^^"

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

bobingabout wrote:
Asanda_Nima wrote:Hio bob,

I'll look into it, maybe drop the bearings.
He does have a point, you cannot assemble the Fast Inserter in Assembling Machine 2. However, you do unlock Assembling Machine 3 with Red/Green Science along with the Fast Inserters. It can be a challenge check or if the bearings are removed, it will be fine to assemble. I guess take a look at potential timelines of when these are unlocked and if Assembling Machine 3 is too far behind the Fast Inserters.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

bobingabout wrote:And yes, Filter inserters will have a white base, but be of the colour of their tier. For example, Express inserter will be all blue, As will the Express Stack inserter, which uses different hand graphics. Filter and Stack filter inserters will have a white base, and possible white stripes on their blue arms.
Having just the base white doesn't make the most sense though. The Filter inserters need some extra detectors in their hand to detect what good is there, to pick specific items out of a chest and so on. So it would make sense for the hand to be white. They also need some extra logic chips to analyze the sensor output so the white base still make sense. How about changing both the base and hand to white for filter inserters? The arm itself doesn't have to change.

Or would that leave too little of the inserter that shows a color?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

mrvn wrote:
bobingabout wrote:And yes, Filter inserters will have a white base, but be of the colour of their tier. For example, Express inserter will be all blue, As will the Express Stack inserter, which uses different hand graphics. Filter and Stack filter inserters will have a white base, and possible white stripes on their blue arms.
Having just the base white doesn't make the most sense though. The Filter inserters need some extra detectors in their hand to detect what good is there, to pick specific items out of a chest and so on. So it would make sense for the hand to be white. They also need some extra logic chips to analyze the sensor output so the white base still make sense. How about changing both the base and hand to white for filter inserters? The arm itself doesn't have to change.

Or would that leave too little of the inserter that shows a color?
Compared to the rest of it, the lower arm is rather small in area to indicate colour, which is why I was considering the white stripes on the arm.

The problem with that is it either requires an overlay (which means completely re-doing the graphics definitions instead of just replacing the filename line), or create actual merged graphics (which uses more VRAM)
I also have a Patreon.

Asanda_Nima
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Asanda_Nima »

Hio Bob,

First:
Thank you for adjusting the "red inserter" so it can be made in a tier 2 assembling machine!

Second:
I was thinking about the inserter today a bit and I had an idea how to "fresh up" the inserter tiers, that might be interesting.
Instead of going with the idea of always requiring the same type of items for the inserter how about partial upgrades ?
It is inspired by your approach on the bots.

Tier 1: Inserter
  1. They are the base for everything.
    They are made sturdy iron to hold for a long time.
    They are simple to make and require no sophisticated items.
Tier 2: Fast Inserter
  • They are the first upgrade and use the previous to build on.
    They use better/lighter metal and advanced items. (bronze)
    They need to do more work and need to be more flexible.
    E.g.: Bronze for the outer upgrades and "Gear boxes" inner workings. Gear boxes are made from steel balls, gear wheels, bearings, plates to achieve more flexibility.
Tier 3: Express Inserter
  • Again are made of the previous as a base and upgrade partially.
    They use better/lighter metal and advanced items. (brass)
    In Tier 2 we achieved better movement, so the focus on this upgrade is to make the inserter more robust.
    e.g. instead of gears/bearings/gear boxes, adding different kinds of aluminium frames(cross and straight?) to make the inserter more robust.
Tier 4: Turbo Inserter
  • In the previous tier we achieved movement and stability. But for the next upgrade the early base made of iron is not enough anymore. But instead of building a completely new inserter, we can partially upgrade the existing one.
    This tier focuses in the base/legs of the inserter. They need to be replaced in order to achieve a new level.
    They use better/lighter metal and advanced items. (titanium)
    This time we add a tripod-leg-base (sorry my naming is not very good and if other have better name, please change it). Made of different titanium parts, like legs, platform, and a gearbox.
    This will give us a solid base for the last tier to work on.
Tier 5: Ultimate Inserter
  • In the previous tier, we replaced the base/legs of the inserter for titanium. Not we need to replace the arm for a lightweight but flexible material.
    They use better/lighter metal and advanced items. (nitinol)
    This time the parts that need to be replaced are focused on the arm. Like different frames and joints.
All tiers are accompanied by the corresponding tiers of electronic chips like they are now, so I did not include this specifically.
I also kept the metals like they are now, but maybe you want to change it.

As for the filter version, I would stick for the way it is right now. Additional electonic chips are reasonable because they do the same work, but just "think" more.
As for the stack versions, I would go for additional non-electonic material. Since they have to work more but not "think" more.
As for the stack filter version, use the stack version plus additional electonic chips to be able to "think" more.

I just thought that maybe a change in the way you have to upgrade your inseters would be interesting like this. Instead of always just adding the same kind of items.
Also since I'm rather a consumer then created, I don't know how difficult it is to make this kind of variation.

Hope you can get my idea with this explanation. And please keep up the great work you do :D

Ronkhar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ronkhar »

Hello,

I noticed two families of objects using the same ingame name:
water-pump-# (from bobplates.cfg) and bob-pump-# (from boblogistics.cfg) are both called "Pump MK#"

Is that intended?
Thanks in advance

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

@Asanda_Nima: I hate it when I have to make 2 assemblers where the first just pre-processes the ingrediences for the second. Like make a gear box out of gears so the second assembler can upgrade the inserter. Anything that has only one consumer so it is simply passed trough seems to be there just to make live harder.

Now on the other hand if making gear boxes out of gears and some plate is a thing that is used in other products too then that would be something else. Otherwise please don't split the inserter upgrades just for the sake of splitting it.

Knorki
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Knorki »

Got a new Bug with the Update when i start the Game

The first few words are just german you can ignore them-

Fehler beim Laden der Mods: Error while loading entity prototype "bob-robot-tank" (unit): Unknown flag "pushable"
Modifications: Bob's Warfare

NexusOne
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by NexusOne »

Love your mod in general, but the new transport belt changes just slow everything down too much in my opinion. I'd love an option to ditch the basic belt, and return the normal yellow belt to its base material cost.

Asanda_Nima
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Asanda_Nima »

mrvn wrote:@Asanda_Nima: I hate it when I have to make 2 assemblers where the first just pre-processes the ingrediences for the second. Like make a gear box out of gears so the second assembler can upgrade the inserter. Anything that has only one consumer so it is simply passed trough seems to be there just to make live harder.

Now on the other hand if making gear boxes out of gears and some plate is a thing that is used in other products too then that would be something else. Otherwise please don't split the inserter upgrades just for the sake of splitting it.
They idea behind the gearbox is not for the sake of splitting or to make the live harder, that's what bobs mod is for ;).
But to get around the items restriction of the assembler. The tier 2 assembler for example can only support 4 items. The gear box is technically only 1 item for the game, so it fits into the assembler together with the previous tier, chips and new alloy. The gear box itself can then be composed of more items.

About the application of gear boxes, I think it can be used as a replacement for many instances of normal gears or as an additional item for vehicles.

But whether Bob picks up on this idea or not is up to him.
I still did not play through all of the mod, so I don't know if it fits with the mod in general or not.
It was just an idea to break up the rather monotone "just add another gear to it" upgrades of the inserters.

lAtlasl
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by lAtlasl »

Hello Bob, there is currently an issue between your mod and Angel's mod. If you start a new game you need tin to get a lab, but you can't make tin until the mechanical refining research is completed. I don't mind the recent changes, but as it is now a new game is unplayable without temporarily deleting a mod, or installing a cheat mod to get some tin.
I've made a post on Angel's side of things about this too, but maybe since you made the change you could fix it as well? I don't see an issue with making labs require basic transport belt instead of transport belt; and thematically it doesn't change much, especially since it would make sense that your research facility in the beginning would be using the lowest quality material possible because nothing has been researched yet.
Thank you in advance!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

lAtlasl wrote:Hello Bob, there is currently an issue between your mod and Angel's mod. If you start a new game you need tin to get a lab, but you can't make tin until the mechanical refining research is completed. I don't mind the recent changes, but as it is now a new game is unplayable without temporarily deleting a mod, or installing a cheat mod to get some tin.
I've made a post on Angel's side of things about this too, but maybe since you made the change you could fix it as well? I don't see an issue with making labs require basic transport belt instead of transport belt; and thematically it doesn't change much, especially since it would make sense that your research facility in the beginning would be using the lowest quality material possible because nothing has been researched yet.
Thank you in advance!
There is talk about this in the general discussion topic.

I went with Tin, because in my mod, Tin is just one of those "Mine it, throw it in a smelter, and get a plate" resources. So I didn't consider the full impact when I made the change.

Quick fix is to add the lab to the recipe replacement, so that it costs basic belts instead of yellow.
However, we were discussing changing the required resource from Tin to Rubber. Unfortunately at the moment Rubber is still behind a research wall, because you require an assembling machine to turn wood into resin.
There are other alternatives too like... Wood.

in the mean time, you could always role back the change to 0.16.12.

There's not much I can do about it right now since I'm at work at the moment.
I also have a Patreon.

lAtlasl
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by lAtlasl »

bobingabout wrote: There's not much I can do about it right now since I'm at work at the moment.
It's all good, mistakes happen. Angel stated that later tonight he'll be patching his mods to allow hand crushing of bobmonium, which will resolve the issue. Thanks for the response, and thanks for the awesome mods!

Return to “Bob's mods”