Constructor bots priority

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
DMFan79
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Constructor bots priority

Post by DMFan79 »

Hi, I'm still learning how to properly use the logistic network. I've encountered an annoying situation where my constructor bots keep filling a storage chest when deconstructing, but don't pick up items from it when building, they instead pick the stuff up from the nearest passive chest.

Is there any solution other than turning the passive chest into a requester and putting a limit on the insterter to avoid over producing items?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Constructor bots priority

Post by Loewchen »

DMFan79 wrote:Is there any solution other than turning the passive chest into a requester and putting a limit on the insterter to avoid over producing items?
The standard way is, to only activate the inserters that insert the items into passive provider chests when the amount in the logistics network is below a certain value.

DMFan79
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DMFan79 »

I did that, but let's say my passive chest is filled with 200 accumulators (my actual limit). The storage chest contains no accumulators.

I deconstruct a blueprint with 600 accumulators in it. The bots will put the 600 accumulators in the storage chest.

After a while I decide to build that blueprint again. The passive chest is between the place I want to build the blueprint on and the storage chest.

My construction bots pick 200 accumulators from the passive chest and then the remaining 400 from the storage chest.

So now I've got 200 accumulators using space in my storage chest and the passive chest is empty...

I take the only solution is to use requester, right?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

DMFan79 wrote:So now I've got 200 accumulators using space in my storage chest and the passive chest is empty...
Yes, why would this be a problem?

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

In 0.16 you can change the passive provider to a storage chest and apply a filter for the item you want inside it. I do that for all of my items crafted in my shopping mall. Depending on the volume of items in your network, all of one item type may fit in that one chest. Bots will favor putting that item there due to the filter.

DMFan79
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DMFan79 »

Loewchen wrote:
DMFan79 wrote:So now I've got 200 accumulators using space in my storage chest and the passive chest is empty...
Yes, why would this be a problem?
Because it creates unneded entropy.

Kelderek wrote:In 0.16 you can change the passive provider to a storage chest and apply a filter for the item you want inside it. I do that for all of my items crafted in my shopping mall. Depending on the volume of items in your network, all of one item type may fit in that one chest. Bots will favor putting that item there due to the filter.
Thank you. I realized this can also be achieved using buffer chests. Both solutions will do I guess.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

DMFan79 wrote:Is there any solution other than turning the passive chest into a requester and putting a limit on the insterter to avoid over producing items?
My preferred way:
Instead of using a Passive Provider, use a Buffer chest.
The inserter(s) feeding the buffer chest should be set to stop work once the chest is about 25% full.
Then set the buffer chest to request to be filled with the item produced to 75%.

Result will be that any excess items are brought back to where they are produced, so you should never end up with a huge excess. Any items already in storage will automatically be brought to the buffer chest once you do this.

Return to “Gameplay Help”