Friday Facts #40

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #40

Post by slpwnd »

A bit earlier than usual today: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-40

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #40

Post by Rahjital »

Ah, you guys need to go west. The weather is nice and sunny near Domažlice! :)

The new player model looks great! Are different colours planned for multiplayer?

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Rahjital wrote:Ah, you guys need to go west. The weather is nice and sunny near Domažlice! :)

The new player model looks great! Are different colours planned for multiplayer?
Actually today the weather is quite "summerish" here (unlike the past week). Yes there will be different colors. That was one of the reasons why we needed to do this anyway.

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

(aaand.. fixed :D )

funktapus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by funktapus »

Love the new direction for the character model. Really fits with the industrial tone of the game.

vmetal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by vmetal »

Are those the char eyes in the first pic or he uses one of those round goggles all the time?

Shaymes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Shaymes »

wow i love it, its possible to get a female character too? :)
maybe both in different colors for multiplayer
Last edited by Shaymes on Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mining Drill Operator

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

vmetal wrote:Are those the char eyes in the first pic or he uses one of those round goggles all the time?
If those are eyes, thats got to be the second most acute case of googly eyes I've ever seen. :P
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

bulldog98
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by bulldog98 »

I really like the new player model, but I’d love to have multiple colors to choose from.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Wow I really like that new player model! Can't wait to see what he will look like late game with power armor. :D
Great job as usual guys!
Image Image Image

funktapus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by funktapus »

Teeheehee

Alfdaur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alfdaur »

The new art for the character looks nice! Too bad that we won't be getting end game content (o.12) untill after the summer. Oh well, you guys deserve a vacation. :)

Drizzt321
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Drizzt321 »

slpwnd wrote:
Rahjital wrote:Ah, you guys need to go west. The weather is nice and sunny near Domažlice! :)

Actually today the weather is quite "summerish" here (unlike the past week). Yes there will be different colors. That was one of the reasons why we needed to do this anyway.
Yea, nice player model.

Oh, and it's always summer-like here in SoCal ;) Come on out for a visit, I can put you up on my couch about 3 minute walk from the beach.

Pjar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pjar »

Love the new model, actually looks like a worker/engineer! :)

Will MP be hold on to until it's all done, or will there be something like partial releases with co-op first, then full scale mp with different teams?

SilentSam
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SilentSam »

Shaymes wrote:wow i love it, its possible to get a female character too? :)
I thought the old power ranger was a female character! And actually... I wasn't too sure about the current model either - at least from the front. In the profile view though the lack of chest is more conspicuous.

Why not just roll with a specifically gender neutral/ambiguous player character? All it would take it a little more slack around his/her chest area and he/she could be seen as either female or a somewhat lumpy male. All that equipment and the relatively limited level of detail should make this reasonably easy to pull off. TF2's Pyro pretty much gets away with the same thing for many of the same reasons.

I know this seems like a very small and insignificant point, but I really do think it matters a great deal in the long run. Factorio is that sort of magical game like Minecraft and Lego that can have a huge life-long impact on kids that latch on to it - they grow up to be engineers and architects and programmers, or at the very least it just shows them that yes, they totally are smart enough to figure how the world around them is made, and yes, they are even smart enough to build something of their own. That is extremely valuable and important IMO. If a 12 year old girl discovers this game, it's already going to be hard enough to fight the message of "this just isn't really for you - this is mostly for boys".

But extending even the smallest of gestures, like making the player character look like it could very well be female will at the very least hint that we don't just automatically assume everyone playing this game is going to be male. The game is about building factories (and sticking it to mother nature :lol:) and who you are underneath the hardhat and the welding mask just isn't important.

Pretty please, give this some consideration. Again, sure, it's a small thing, but all these small little gestures can add up to very very big things - literally world-changing things. Why not be part of the solution, especially when you can do it with so little effort?
Last edited by SilentSam on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Droa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Droa »

omg! the new model looks frigging amazing! really good job :D

Ethribin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ethribin »

The new model looks cool and all.
But I kinda like the old model very much.

The new one looks more detailed true.. but.. somehow it looks clobby :I and very.. miner like?
The clobby, thick looking suit somehow makes him look so slow and unmovable.
Like... how can you run around in that without sweating rivers? Or work with machines with those thick gloves on?
And how can you agiley fight enemies with this suit on. sure it protects, but I personally would prefer speed and light equipment over thick clothes.

I liked the old one a lot especially because it wasn't clear if it was a man or a robot (personally I like the idea that the character is a high tech robot (especially for the general mission about researching rocket-defences) fits the theme better^^

When you're a robot, it also makes more sense that you, the character, can build nearly everything assembly machines can build.
It's a machines build machines thing^^
that would fit the theme greatly XD

Again. This is all my opinion.
I'm not saying the new model isn't good.
I'm just saying I find the old one more awesome^^
The greatest thing to be is not a hero, but a person who inspires people to be heros^^

pbhead
Inserter
Inserter

Post by pbhead »

SilentSam wrote:
Shaymes wrote:wow i love it, its possible to get a female character too? :)
I thought the old power ranger was a female character! And actually... I wasn't too sure about the current model either - at least from the front. In the profile view though the lack of chest is more conspicuous.

Why not just roll with a specifically gender neutral/ambiguous player character? All it would take it a little more slack around his/her chest area and he/she could be seen as either female or a somewhat lumpy male. All that equipment and the relatively limited level of detail should make this reasonably easy to pull off. TF2's Pyro pretty much gets away with the same thing for many of the same reasons.

I know this seems like a very small and insignificant point, but I really do think it matters a great deal in the long run. Factorio is that sort of magical game like Minecraft and Lego that can have a huge life-long impact on kids that latch on to it - they grow up to be engineers and architects and programmers, or at the very least it just shows them that yes, they totally are smart enough to figure how the world around them is made, and yes, they are even smart enough to build something of their own. That is extremely valuable and important IMO. If a 12 year old girl discovers this game, it's already going to be hard enough to fight the message of "this just isn't really for you - this is mostly for boys".

But extending even the smallest of gestures, like making the player character look like it could very well be female will at the very least hint that we don't just automatically assume everyone playing this game is going to be male. The game is about building factories (and sticking it to mother nature :lol:) and who you are underneath the hardhat and the welding mask just isn't important.

Pretty please, give this some consideration. Again, sure, it's a small thing, but all these small little gestures can add up to very very big things - literally world-changing things. Why not be part of the solution, especially when you can do it with so little effort?

This is why we cant have nice things.

people so concerned about the gender of the character, that they write essays to attempt to destroy it in the name of tolerance and inclusivity. And most importantly, by bringing it up, they turn it into an issue, which divides, instead of it being a non-issue. If people were tolerant, and inclusive, no one should care. why do you.

Gravitas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gravitas »

pbhead wrote: This is why we cant have nice things.

people so concerned about the gender of the character, that they write essays to attempt to destroy it in the name of tolerance and inclusivity. And most importantly, by bringing it up, they turn it into an issue, which divides, instead of it being a non-issue. If people were tolerant, and inclusive, no one should care. why do you.
I would say that I think you're overreacting slightly. There's nothing wrong with politely asking for a female model, which is all that's happened. If the devs say they're too busy or whatever and someone goes on a long rant then maybe your reply would be justified.

pbhead
Inserter
Inserter

Post by pbhead »

Gravitas wrote:
pbhead wrote: This is why we cant have nice things.

I would say that I think you're overreacting slightly. There's nothing wrong with politely asking for a female model, which is all that's happened. If the devs say they're too busy or whatever and someone goes on a long rant then maybe your reply would be justified.
Thats not what happened. sam asked for a non-descript model, not "both". anyway. we took the issue to Private messages.

Return to “News”