Version 0.16.25

Information about releases and roadmap.
bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Version 0.16.25

Post by bobingabout »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Also, items don't "move backwards" on the belt, they overstack which then evens out when the belt moves.
That's the intended behaviour, I've actually seen videos where items on a belt move backwards when something obstructs the belt... and they don't "Move backwards" they appear to move backwards because they stop moving when they're not supposed to.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

FactorioBot wrote:Changes
  • Inserters and belt sideloading can now squash item on belt even when the gap isn't big enough. The squashed gap is extended to normal size once the front of the belt starts to move again. This means, that inserter rows and side loading can produce fully compressed belts without the usage of splitters.
I assume Mining Drills still don't compress items? I don't really mind as you tend to merge several lanes anyway, just clarifying.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:
FactorioBot wrote:Changes
  • Inserters and belt sideloading can now squash item on belt even when the gap isn't big enough. The squashed gap is extended to normal size once the front of the belt starts to move again. This means, that inserter rows and side loading can produce fully compressed belts without the usage of splitters.
I assume Mining Drills still don't compress items? I don't really mind as you tend to merge several lanes anyway, just clarifying.
Mining drills are compressing as well using sideloading mechanics.
However they are bugged as well as other compression tools.
But when fixed they will compress :)

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

Deadly-Bagel wrote: I assume Mining Drills still don't compress items? I don't really mind as you tend to merge several lanes anyway, just clarifying.
miner_compression.png
miner_compression.png (402.49 KiB) Viewed 5435 times
not OCD compressed, but certainly compressed enough for me.

mathturtle
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mathturtle »

I'm sure everyone else has already said this, but thank you for belt compression!

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

impetus maximus wrote:
Deadly-Bagel wrote: I assume Mining Drills still don't compress items? I don't really mind as you tend to merge several lanes anyway, just clarifying.
miner_compression.png
not OCD compressed, but certainly compressed enough for me.
Yeah, I noticed those gaps. We can't allow that!

Actually, it seems that the general issue is that sideloading does not 100% compress a belt. A solution for the miners is to use an UG belt to bypass the last two miners and then merge these in to fill the gaps.

The picture below shows three setups: default, UG plus merge, and UG plus sideload. As you can see, only UG plus merge fully compresses the belt:

UG plus merge has the full 2400 items/minute, while the other to are somewhere around 2340.

[Gaps are evil! Must fill all the gaps!]

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I spent some time with the compression fixes. I fixed few corner cases for 0.16.26 and as far as I can tell, it should be 100% now.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

kovarex wrote:I spent some time with the compression fixes. I fixed few corner cases for 0.16.26 and as far as I can tell, it should be 100% now.
58046 still isn't fixed which sometimes prevents compression because gaps arent closing when they should. Otherwise looking very good, thanks :)
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Bilka wrote:
kovarex wrote:I spent some time with the compression fixes. I fixed few corner cases for 0.16.26 and as far as I can tell, it should be 100% now.
58046 still isn't fixed which sometimes prevents compression because gaps arent closing when they should. Otherwise looking very good, thanks :)
You might have to wait until .26 is released :)

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

vanatteveldt wrote:
Bilka wrote:
I might have source access and might have already tried 0.16.26 :) I might have even posted a save from that version in bug report thread I linked :)
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Bilka wrote:
vanatteveldt wrote:
Bilka wrote:
I might have source access and might have already tried 0.16.26 :) I might have even posted a save from that version in bug report thread I linked :)
When are they just going to make you a moderator? You practiacally are on here already :P .
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

DrFluffeh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DrFluffeh »

My belts are not achieving full compression with inserters

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

I tested belt compression by inserters on yellow belts using my old smelter column setup and it just works. I enabled show-transport-lines and saw, that my streight belts get automatically segmented into 3-tile chunks after inserters put some items on them (belt was one segment before adding the inserters). So the game seems to optimize segment lengths on the fly.
When i change the smelter column, so that the inserters insert on 1-tile belts sideloading to the common output belt, compression is broken because the sideloading mechanics ignores the smaller gaps.

I now have seen the moving gaps in realgame too. But i also have seen inserters taking stuff from the middle of a lane segment and other inserters putting stuff onto the middle of a lane segment splitting single gaps into two or reducing gap lengths.
So the belt compression logic could very well scan for gaps further up the segment and reduce them instead of moving them too. Segments tend to get optimized to be shorter when they experience much insertation or removal of items, so performance-wise a bit of additional gap-handling logic should be fine.

Return to “Releases”