[Dominik] Minor bug: removing items from blueprint causes "shifting"

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Dominik] Minor bug: removing items from blueprint causes "shifting"

Post by golfmiketango »

Although it's no big deal, when editing a blueprint to exclude certain entities, the blueprint surface will tend to jump around in the display. In the worst-case scenario of removing a lot of items from a busy blueprint, this can actually become a meaningful problem rather than an aesthetic issue.

I think it's reasonable for the blueprint to resize and therefore shift around when changing the type of items selected via the check-boxes (which actually makes them no longer appear on screen). But I think it's pretty wierd that, i.e., right clicking a roboport smack dab in the middle of the blueprint (which doesn't even visually remove it so much as turn it into some kind of "blueprint-ghost") can nevertheless sometimes cause the whole surface you're looking at to get a new anchor-point in the GUI (perhaps because, under the hood, it no longer puts the roboport coverage area in, and decides the extremities have shrunk?)

wheybags
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Minor bug: removing items from blueprint causes "shifting"

Post by wheybags »

Could you post exact steps to reproduce this issue? Including a blueprint string to test on?
I tried creating some blueprints with roboports in the middle and right clicking them, but couldn't reproduce it.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

wheybags wrote:Could you post exact steps to reproduce this issue? Including a blueprint string to test on?
I tried creating some blueprints with roboports in the middle and right clicking them, but couldn't reproduce it.
That would have been nice, right? Unfortunately I kinda lost track of how I did this but I have definitely seen this behavior lots of times. I am pretty sure I can figure out a repeatable recipe but it will take a day or three as I have a lot of RL stuff on my plate (note to self: you saw this when blueprinting your "shitty compromise"-style 4-lane 1-3-1 offramps with a roboport in the junction area). Will do it (or at least try) eventually, I promise.

As for a blueprint string, I'm not sure about it. I think maybe this only happens when you have "sampled" a blueprint and are previewing your creation. If that's so then a bp string will not in and of itself suffice to repro without some sort of "instructions".

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

I can reproduce this. It happens due to there being less components, so the window resizes.

String for the blueprint:

Code: Select all

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
Behaviour:
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Ha! A head-slapper for sure. Nice catch, Bilka, and sorry for having apparently made a quasi-useless/misleading report. I guess the question is, given that there does appear to be a completely valid reason for this behavior, is it annoying enough to fix anyhow. But I will not opine since it's perfectly tolerable as it is and I'm not the one who would get to do the work of fixing it :)

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [Dominik] Minor bug: removing items from blueprint causes "shifting"

Post by Dominik »

I agree that this is inconvenient and unsanctioned. So I changed it so that empty slots remain in place.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”