Issue with bonuses

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
superhelicase
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Issue with bonuses

Post by superhelicase »

This issue isn't really a bug since it isn't possible with vanilla Factorio, but if you install some mods that give you more advanced modules and beacons, you can really crank up the bonuses on a single building. I'm still trying out different things, but I've found that if the electricity usage goes over 32760% (the actual limit I'm assuming is 32768, but I can't get any more granular than that with the items i have), the bonus suddenly goes negative. If yall are using C++ I'm guessing this is because the variable yall are using for the bonus is a signed short. Is there any chance that yall might increase the size of this variable, or with the number of entities that people place, would that make memory requirements for the game just that much larger? Is there anyway this thing might be altered using the api?

Edit: I was able to get this to do the same thing with the pollution bonus, and i actually came back around again to positive with the electricity. I still haven't been able to get over that number with productivity, the highest i could get with the mod i was using was somewhere around 28k, and I haven't tried it with speed yet.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Issue with bonuses

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. Can you give an example mod that shows the problem?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

superhelicase
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by superhelicase »

The mod i was using to get this issue was Fast Furnaces. It includes a tier 5 productivity module with the downside of +150% energy consumption and tier 3 beacons with expanded range and a whopping 12 slots to hold those productivity modules. Needless to say it is a bit game breaking :P

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/FastFurnaces

That being said it is still pretty fun just to see how crazy things can get
Attachments
Effects on a single assembler
Effects on a single assembler
20180202214405_1.jpg (723.76 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
Effects from a single beacon with range
Effects from a single beacon with range
20180202212719_1.jpg (818.81 KiB) Viewed 5231 times

superhelicase
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by superhelicase »

For the energy consumption on that assembler, it went over the max positive, back through negative, and came back positive again. I can only imagine just how much energy it actually would use, and i'm too tired to do maths right now.
Two's complement in action for ya :P

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Ok, I fixed it so it won't wrap around anymore. For now we're going to leave it at this current limit.

superhelicase
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by superhelicase »

Awesome I'm glad i could have been of help!

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

superhelicase wrote:Awesome I'm glad i could have been of help!
This is the first time I have seen one of my mods involved in a bug report. :P

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lubricus »

The game can only output on recipe each game-tick anyway. So ridiculous designs like breaks before that bugs appear anyway. The productivity bar also breaks and usually you loose all productivity bonuses but sometimes you can get to much.

atlas1205
Inserter
Inserter

Post by atlas1205 »

Thanks to 0.16.23 update, now recipes won't take speed or productivity upgrades from beacons anymore - if they don't accept these upgrades by default. Another slap on modding, nice job.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

atlas1205 wrote:Thanks to 0.16.23 update, now recipes won't take speed or productivity upgrades from beacons anymore - if they don't accept these upgrades by default. Another slap on modding, nice job.
That has nothing to do with modding. It was a defect in the game that it didn't account for the module limitation when applying the effect through beacons.

If you specifically set the allowed recipe limitation on a module it will only work on those recipes. If you want it to work on all recipes then don't define any limitation on the module and it will work for every recipe.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”