[MOD] Deadlock's Stacking Beltboxes & Compact Loaders

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Chaos234
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16.x] Deadlock's Stacking Beltbox (& Compact Loaders)

Post by Chaos234 »

Well, I could grab the created images and save them or I grab the affected images and stack them 5 times. Should be fine I think.
But yes, it is a lot of work an will take a while but also there will be much more in my collection as long as it is worth to be stacked
and/or packed ^^

cvkurt
Inserter
Inserter

Post by cvkurt »

Deadlock989 wrote:It's interesting to me that the crating mod is massively less popular than the beltbox, because it's so much easier and arguably a bit OP.
I find crating (or palleting) tedious, like just like barreling is. I don't consider your mod really OP by itself... but OP when combined with faster than express belts. I'm quite happy to no longer need faster than express belts in my factory, aside from being OP, they are hard to look at :-).

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Chaos234 wrote:Hmmm, this will work to but I think then in one file ^^ - I am doing it like this for now:

Code: Select all

if mods["angelsrefining"] then
	require("mods.angelsrefining")
	if mods["angelsbioprocessing"] then
		require("mods.angelsbioprocessing")
	end
end

if mods["fpp"] then
	require("mods.fpp")
end
Something was poking me about this and then the penny dropped. It's not a good idea to have requires inside conditional statements. It will be OK for your local set-up but it will break CRC checks on other computers and cause multiplayer desyncs if anyone ever uses it on a server. See for example: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=32890

Better to require everything but only process the items if the mod is active. So in your case, just require all of your mods.whatevers but inside each file, check to see if the mod is active before trying to create stacked items.

Chaos234
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chaos234 »

But isn't it the same at the end?

I don't want hard requirements, I want soft ones (optional ones). Means that I must do an additional pre-check. I am confused why changing it should disrupt the SP and the SMP because if u play on a
server you must have the same mods or it will not let you connect (otherwise it is a bug, and the dev's should fix it). Means that I see no difference at which place I do the check.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Chaos234 wrote:But isn't it the same at the end?
Just passing on what the game makers said.

Chaos234
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chaos234 »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Chaos234 wrote:But isn't it the same at the end?
Just passing on what the game makers said.
Hmmm, well, I'll see what will happen in SMP :)

Another question ... it is nice to stack/crate items but it is not worth if the max stack size is X times smaller then the non-stack size.
Means, if I stack 100 iron ore it should then be stacked to 100 stacked iron ore containing 500 iron ore, otherwise stacking makes no
sense, because you want to safe storing place, even if less space on belts is needed but in chests it makes no sense, even with ReStack.

Hope you're lifting this limit and make stacked stacks upto 100-200 as limit or configurable ;). Crates upto 50-100 should be fine :).

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Chaos234 wrote:Another question ... it is nice to stack/crate items but it is not worth if the max stack size is X times smaller then the non-stack size.
Means, if I stack 100 iron ore it should then be stacked to 100 stacked iron ore containing 500 iron ore, otherwise stacking makes no
sense, because you want to safe storing place, even if less space on belts is needed but in chests it makes no sense, even with ReStack.

Hope you're lifting this limit and make stacked stacks upto 100-200 as limit or configurable ;). Crates upto 50-100 should be fine :).
Absolutely not. This is not a mod about increasing inventory density. This is a mod about increasing belt throughput.

Chaos234
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chaos234 »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Chaos234 wrote:Another question ... it is nice to stack/crate items but it is not worth if the max stack size is X times smaller then the non-stack size.

Absolutely not. This is not a mod about increasing inventory density. This is a mod about increasing belt throughput.
Understandable; then I'll change it for me only :)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Concerning icons: The generated icons should only affect the FPS and not UPS and only when you view a belt with stacked items on it. In a mega factory that should be a fraction of all belts. So I'm not sure if that is really a problem.

Concerning helper mods: If you have a helper mod for stacked items for mod A wouldn't it make sense to have it require both stacking and A. And then why do anything conditional? If both mods are required then the conditional will always be true.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

mrvn wrote:Concerning icons: The generated icons should only affect the FPS and not UPS and only when you view a belt with stacked items on it. In a mega factory that should be a fraction of all belts. So I'm not sure if that is really a problem.
That's pretty much exactly what I said.
Concerning helper mods: If you have a helper mod for stacked items for mod A wouldn't it make sense to have it require both stacking and A. And then why do anything conditional? If both mods are required then the conditional will always be true.
If you say so. The standing advice is not to have requires within conditionals. You may argue that it doesn't matter if you know for a fact that the conditionals are always true. In which case, why have a conditional statement at all? If you are making a helper mod for your own fun then you can do whatever you like, it won't affect anyone else. But if you do want to share this "helper collection" mod with others, you won't guarantee they have exactly the same set of mods as you. In which case, you want to specify optional dependencies and then test for the mod's presence with conditionals. Or force them to play with all the same mods as you.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Final, final graphics pass. Re-matched tier colours to vanilla colours, reduced glare, tweaked textures (added a bit of blue to the iron and a bit of yellow to the sun), now 50% more stripey. And I'm done.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Great progress.

Now only to fix the horizontal roll on vertical stackers.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

steinio wrote:Now only to fix the horizontal roll on vertical stackers.
You mean the gears? Don't think it can be done. It's a modded furnace entity and I believe furnaces can't rotate. I can think of shenanigans involving two different versions which replace a dummy item on player build, but is it really worth all that? Wouldn't be rotatable in situ either.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

I use this mod not only for its very convenient mini-loaders, but now as a texture pack for much nicer underground belts.
After the eventual Angel/Bobs support is done by someone for the beltboxes, belts will once again be a useful and beautiful addition to my mega-factories.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Deadlock989 wrote:
If you say so. The standing advice is not to have requires within conditionals. You may argue that it doesn't matter if you know for a fact that the conditionals are always true. In which case, why have a conditional statement at all? If you are making a helper mod for your own fun then you can do whatever you like, it won't affect anyone else. But if you do want to share this "helper collection" mod with others, you won't guarantee they have exactly the same set of mods as you. In which case, you want to specify optional dependencies and then test for the mod's presence with conditionals. Or force them to play with all the same mods as you.
By require I mean a module dependency. If the helper mod requires mod A then mod A will always be installed. Everyone using the helper mod will have the same set of mods installed (and then some you don't care about).

I was thinking about a single helper mod. Not a collection to help 20 different mods. For example a helper mod for Bobs ores instead of a helper mod of all Bobs mods. For a collection it makes sense to have conditionals and make the module dependencies optional. So you can install Bobs ores but skip on Bobs warfare and the helper collection would make whatever you have from Bobs stacked accordingly.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

mrvn wrote:I was thinking about a single helper mod. Not a collection to help 20 different mods
So, like, the exact opposite of what we were talking about.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Deadlock989 wrote:
steinio wrote:Now only to fix the horizontal roll on vertical stackers.
You mean the gears? Don't think it can be done. It's a modded furnace entity and I believe furnaces can't rotate. I can think of shenanigans involving two different versions which replace a dummy item on player build, but is it really worth all that? Wouldn't be rotatable in situ either.
Ok, i'm fine with how it is.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Chaos234 wrote:Hmmm, this will work to but I think then in one file ^^ - I am doing it like this for now:

Code: Select all

if mods["angelsrefining"] then
	require("mods.angelsrefining")
	if mods["angelsbioprocessing"] then
		require("mods.angelsbioprocessing")
	end
end

if mods["fpp"] then
	require("mods.fpp")
end
Something was poking me about this and then the penny dropped. It's not a good idea to have requires inside conditional statements. It will be OK for your local set-up but it will break CRC checks on other computers and cause multiplayer desyncs if anyone ever uses it on a server. See for example: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=32890

Better to require everything but only process the items if the mod is active. So in your case, just require all of your mods.whatevers but inside each file, check to see if the mod is active before trying to create stacked items.
There is a difference between a conditional require based on config settings and a conditional require on mod load. If you want to do conditional stuff on config settings, you have to do it in the code directly or else it will throw errors if two people with different settings try to play together/play on a server. If you do conditional settings based on a mod load you can conditionally require stuff and it will be fine, because you cant even connect if mods are not matching.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Arch666Angel wrote:There is a difference between a conditional require based on config settings and a conditional require on mod load. If you want to do conditional stuff on config settings, you have to do it in the code directly or else it will throw errors if two people with different settings try to play together/play on a server. If you do conditional settings based on a mod load you can conditionally require stuff and it will be fine, because you cant even connect if mods are not matching.
Fine, then

Alkumist
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Alkumist »

change the look of splitters to fit the new graphics style? :D

Return to “Mods”